Sick of Malbec?!?!

mmoon

Registered
It may just be that it's freezing, and most of my friends are roasting up in sunnier climates up north, but I'm feeling frustrated by the general lack of variety here. I know that many before me have complained of the bad pizza and bad sushi in BA (and I share their bewilderment at the low quality of fish here), but I would like to put in my two cents about the wine.

When I first came here ten years ago, I fell in love with Malbec and other Argentine wines. Now, I'm frankly sick of seeing the same wines at most every wine shop, restaurant and supermarket. Even the nice places seem to be mostly beholden to Alamos, Rutini and the other biggies. Is it possible to find some decent wines from South Africa, California, Australia...France for godssake? Or, do I need to start smuggling them in with my Junior Mints and brownie mix?

If anyone could enlighten me as to where I can find some good imports, it would definitely make this rant worthwhile. Thanks and stay warm!

poor thing!

perhaps you should live where you can get your junior mints and brownie mix - and bordeaux??

mmoon said:
Is it possible to find some decent wines from South Africa, California, Australia...France for godssake?

Have you noticed what the exchange rate is?

Have you noticed the ridiculously high import taxes placed on all things with domestic competitors?

You can buy a Cabernet from Mendoza that will be around AR$55 (if that's what you're looking for) and one of comparable quality from California will be about AR$130 IF you can find the place in San Isidro or Recoleta that carries it.

You don't have to drink Malbec. There are other wines out there. There are at least 5 large wine regions in Argentina.

whatever

I love Malbec, also Torrontes. Can't say that I've grown tired of them but I do wish there was more variety in wine selection. The wine industry is obviously heavily protected. I'm in the US at the moment and have seen a lot of Argentine wine in wine shops. Some of the better known brands such as Terrazas are selling here for about the same, sometimes a bit less, than in Argentina. The competition in the US is fierce and Argentine exporters have to price accordingly. I've been buying French, Italian, South African and California wines at prices that are lower than I pay for moderate quality wine in Argentina. The variety in the US is just amazing and there are weekly specials - cases and cases lined up against the walls at major discounts. I'm afraid that there is little that you can do about the lack of imports. La Bourgogne restaurant in the Alvear Palace will have some imports on the wine list but prices will be really high. I'd suggest looking for some of the lesser known boutique wines. Argentine wine production has expanded tremendously in recent years and the quality has really improved. If you're willing to pay more and seek out less commercial wine you can improve the variety a bit.

Please, let's not go down the bad pizza road in THIS thread!! We already have pages of it somewhere else. LOL.

As for the wine question: Malbec's not my favorite. I usually choose a Bonarda, if they have one. If you haven't tried it yet, do. It'll be a nice change.

I have seen foreign wines sold. But the prices are too high & I still have a stash at home. LOL. I'm saving my last Amarone though.

I don't think the issue here is quality of wine as it was with the quality of pizza. There is plenty of good wine in Argentina. The writer said he'd like to be able to drink some wine from other parts of the world. High taxes and a protectionist government make that virtually impossible. With pizza the issue was the poor quality of the product. Not the same.

Conrado, I've been to Cuartito and thought the pizza horrible. Don't know the other places but if you want to debate pizza, better to revive the pizza forum rather than discuss it here where the subject is wine protectionism.

Wine protectionism is at least environmentally friendly.
And the question is: do you have to consume french wine in Buenos Aires? Or argentine wine in Japan? Why not consume what is locally available? It would have two big advantages: first, a HUGE reduction of CO2 emissions. Second, it would contribute to a heterogenous World, as it used to be. If one can find the same food, the same products in every big city in the World, travelling will be half so fun. Well, pretty boring actually.

The competition in the US is fierce and Argentine exporters have to price accordingly. I've been buying French, Italian, South African and California wines at prices that are lower than I pay for moderate quality wine in Argentina. The variety in the US is just amazing and there are weekly specials - cases and cases lined up against the walls at major discounts. I'm afraid that there is little that you can do about the lack of imports. La Bourgogne restaurant in the Alvear Palace will have some imports on the wine list but prices will be really high. I'd suggest looking for some of the lesser known boutique wines. Argentine wine production has expanded tremendously in recent years and the quality has really improved. If you're willing to pay more and seek out less commercial wine you can improve the variety a bit.

Amargo said:
Wine protectionism is at least environmentally friendly.
And the question is: do you have to consume french wine in Buenos Aires? Or argentine wine in Japan? Why not consume what is locally available? It would have two big advantages: first, a HUGE reduction of CO2 emissions. Second, it would contribute to a heterogenous World, as it used to be. If one can find the same food, the same products in every big city in the World, travelling will be half so fun. Well, pretty boring actually.

This is a great answer.......I own a store and have some imported candy items. When people see them at first they are all excited to buy them, however after a few times, they go back to the nationally produced goods. Most prefer things that they are used to and now and then will look for something new but not stick with it for very long.

Back