Six Months After: Ba Vs. Madrid

Twice in the space of a month someone has asked me for directions on the street and in despite of knowing where it was and reaplying in Spanish they have walked off half way through me talking, once they just laughed at me.

Well that's a disappointing response but I have to say one I've never experienced yet. Indeed I have been rather surprised by the number of Argentine people who have stopped me whilst walking in the street - including a number is cars who have stopped - and have asked me for directions.

The experience thus far is a variation around ... wishing each other good day etc then if I can give them an answer I do (in my risible Castillano) and then I explain this is not my City and ask if they want to know where to go in London? Every time this produces a laugh and pleasantries and often enough an apology for stopping me and thanks in English!

Different parts of the city perhaps? I am at a loss to explain.

As for no interest in foreign food and culture? On the contrary - although my efforts at introducing the subtle delights of Marmite even laced with dulce de leche hasnt progressed very far

Well that's a disappointing response but I have to say one I've never experienced yet. Indeed I have been rather surprised by the number of Argentine people who have stopped me whilst walking in the street - including a number is cars who have stopped - and have asked me for directions.
What generally seemed to happen to me in Buenos Aires, possibly at least once every two days, is some kind of taxi driver shouting 'eh flaco por donde se encuentra calle x?'.

I probably just look like a walking street map or something.

Thanks for your post. I was wondering about my Argy colleagues with kids how and if they see a future for their kids, how to save for their kids education and so on.... I am not close enough to ask them these questions. But I guess most are just resigned to living day by day and month by month. Such complacency, no, resignation, is dangerous....

I can empathize with you as a parent though I do not have the same situation as you. We started our kids education savings fund soon after our kids were borne in our home country, and if everything goes as planned, each kid will more than enough money for university or start a small business in 10-15 years time (back home). Hope you make the right decision.

The same as in any place in the world but with the advantage to know that even if you don't do it well economically your children will have free university and in the worst case free health system. You seem to feel pity for the locals when lot of the locals feel the same panic when they hear of a place where you have to save all your life to pay the university of your children’s and you are in troubles if you don't have a medical insurance and suffer an accident or where people shot in the schools, not everything that shine is gold ;)

Folks,

This has got to be one of the best threads I've read in a long time. Good stuff! Special thanks to starlucia, fifs2, Don'tMindMe and Yogur griego. And did I mention starlucia?

Gives me courage (and fear, kind of a nostalgic fear), to consider leaving Buenos Aires after 3 "never felt so alive" years. But then, one can always return. ¿Right?

Thanks again,
- Jim

[quote name='Lauren23' timestamp='1359497758' post='] In a way, I was among the economic refugees:

[/quote]

What do your argentine friends say when you tell them that you're an economic migrant who has come from a land of significant opportunities to try and make it in one that, by almost every measurable indicator, has fewer?

So 6 more months to go to be able to compare summer in Madrid with summer in BA. Madrid has about the hottest summer in Europe.

Try Seville...it's not called the frying pan of Europe for nothing...It was hitting 45+ regularly last July/August and one night at my friends BBQ it was 38 degrees at 8pm! Do as the locals do...escape to the coast or in my case Bsas!

Where did you live in BA? I live in Belgrano and don't worry often about motochorros or street safety (as long as I'm not walking the quieter streets alone at night)

What do your argentine friends say when you tell them that you're an economic migrant who has come from a land of significant opportunities to try and make it in one that, by almost every measurable indicator, has fewer?

I don´t "tell" them this like it's how I'd introduce myself at a party or AA: "Hi, I'm Lauren, I'm from the United States, and I'm an economic migrant" (that'd be a little awkward, wouldn't it?). Rather, the people who I know well and here and have known long enough are aware of the circumstances that initially brought me here. And it's actually not that big a deal, the fact is, the current crisis has affected everyone on the globe, I really don't find a single country has escaped completely unscathed.

After suffering unemployment for more than a year, my first country as an expat was South Korea, NOT Argentina. Because of their current president's policy from a few years back, the time is NOW to teach English, additionally fueled by the fact that he had mandated that by 2014, ALL teachers, Korean or foreign, MUST speak English to teach in schools. I had done thorough research regarding employers before taking a huge risk to leave everything for a country I had only read about half way across the world.

For once, I felt like things were going to start turning around, until 2 days before Christmas 2008, my supervisor told me out of the blue that our particular company had overexpanded in haste in response to what seemed like a booming market that would only grow in demand. I had 30 days to find a new company for a work visa there or I'd be illegal. I had been residing and working there about 4 months by that point out of a 12 month contract.

My point? Anyone is fair game right now. My friends in Argentina know that, at least from what I experienced, it wasn´t just the United States which took a major hit, but even a fairly stable country like South Korea where teaching English is a given!

If anything, the Argentines who I know and who know me well can empathize better than anyone that life is unpredictable and you do what you have to do. They know that "cuando tenés hambre, no hay pan duro," and if you find an opportunity, even in the most unlikely of places, take it and run or you are a total boludo. These people, many of whom as you know lost their standard of living and nest eggs overnight in Dec. 2001 or somewhere along the way get it. It's saddening for them, because while they seem to have some kind of shell shock tolerance, what I can personally testify to is a sobering sign of the times.

The people know are my friends here, or at least people I trust and respect and vice versa and don't start trying to give me a wake up call scare tactic by throwing prices at me in pesos about the horrors of childcare because I evidently must be that naive know better than that! If anything, they "get it" and can empathize better than people (locals or expats alike) who are only capable of seeing me me as a Yanqui, like it's my only identity, and presume that I'm in for a nasty shock one day because I evidently am enjoying a privileged lifestyle here that means I've been living here more than 4 years and haven't taken notice that Argentina in 2009 doesn't resemble Argentina in 2013.

I'm not exactly proudly toting the title of "economic migrant," rather I'm grateful that this is a country where I have been in the right place in the right time for many circumstances, but it at least a part of it was hard earned with my specific training, experience, and passion for my field. I tote the title of teacher anywhere, because I am a teacher (on my CV and off), and despite a universally compromised salary it's one of the very few decisions that I've made that, at least at this point, I have not a shred of remorse for.

I think I've experienced enough personally out of the ordinary adversities (for reasons including but not limited to work), so I know that I am damn fortunate to be where I am, and I don´t take that for granted here. I'm proud of that. Better epitaph: Grateful.

I've been lurking for months and decided to sign in after reading this very good post.

I live around 4 months a year in BsAs and the rest in Barcelona. I'm a Spaniard but my bf is Argentinean with Spanish passport. After 3 years, we have finally decided for him to move to Spain despite the economic crisis. I'm fortunate enough to be one of the few under 30 with a good job in Spain, and although my bf has a good job in BsAs, the quality of life we have while in Spain outweighs our BsAs time. And having a similar life as the one we would have in Barcelona in Buenos Aires costs a lot more.

The people know are my friends here, or at least people I trust and respect and vice versa and don't start trying to give me a wake up call scare tactic by throwing prices at me in pesos about the horrors of childcare because I evidently must be that naive know better! If anything, they "get it" and can empathize better than people (locals or expats alike) who only recognize me as a Yanqui and presume that I'm in for a nasty shock one day because I evidently am enjoying a privileged lifestyle here that means I've been living here more than 4 years and haven't taken notice that Argentina in 2009 doesn't resemble Argentina in 2013.

I think you're taking syngirl's post way more personally and bitterly than was meant..at least from my reading. I read all your posts and enjoy them too for their humor and self-deprecation but that doesn't mean I remembered you were a teacher as most won't remember so I don't read her post as at all offensive..if anything she clearly expressed herself as jaded and was trying to share some info. So now we know from this post again - you're a teacher, a qualified 70kusd worth real teacher (not TEFL). Everyone got that???!!!!!!! Good..

Back