Slow Internet

mbw

Registered
Our computers have been very slow and inconsistent in loading websites - an eternity of grinding for even simple web pages. It feels like a virus but we have both an Apple and HP and both are slow - Apple is not generally impacted by viruses. We have had Fibertel problems recently but the Fibertel people tell us the problems have been fixed. Is anyone else having speed issues with their computer and the internet?

mbw said:
Our computers have been very slow and inconsistent in loading websites - an eternity of grinding for even simple web pages. It feels like a virus but we have both an Apple and HP and both are slow - Apple is not generally impacted by viruses. We have had Fibertel problems recently but the Fibertel people tell us the problems have been fixed. Is anyone else having speed issues with their computer and the internet?
I'm with Fibertel in Recoleta. Very slow on a few sites but normal on others. Strange. I don't think this is a virus issue. Just internet wackiness.

Dave; Thanks for the tech tips, specially Google DNS. Going to try that one on our dual-wan router.

FYI the internet has removed a lot of boundaries but it hasn't removed them all. Accessing a server in the US will still take longer than accessing one located in argentina. Thats just the way it is.

Also your internet could be fucked.....

PhilipDT said:
FYI the internet has removed a lot of boundaries but it hasn't removed them all. Accessing a server in the US will still take longer than accessing one located in argentina. Thats just the way it is.

Also your internet could be fucked.....

The internet in argentina is very slow compared to NZ or europe..
A couple of years ago i done some tests, and just to get to a server in the states from BA was around 10 hops, where in NZ its is 3..
For you guys who dont know what hops are, its the amount of connections between you and the site/server you want to connect too.. and each hop adds a little more latency.
Just to get outside of argentina was 6 or 7 hops i think from memory .. so i am guessing its just very bad configuration here..
I dont know if its improved since i last done the test, but it still seems very slow..

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Speed comes and goes here. My first experience in a apartment was about a 28kbp modem speed, (it was supposed to have been broadband too!) That was about 4 years ago. After moving into a house we opted for a 5 mbs connection, (Speedy/ telephonica.) It was anything but 5 mbs, though still useful for emails and slow downloads. We decided to downgrade to 3 mbs because 5 mbs was too expensive no where near 5 mbs. Hmmn,..at a 3 mbs my new connection seemed faster(?!) Of course, it's not really 3 mbs but what can you do...Also, the ADSL routers go out about every year and a half. The last one that was replaced made things even faster. You may take a look at replacement of your router.

I was pretty disappointed in the Internet here too until I upgraded to the Fibertel 6mbps service a couple of months ago. I have to say it's much better and a lot faster than the previous 3mbps service.

Still, that doesn't excuse the fact that our entire building (60 apartments) was out for 4 days until they could manage to fix it!

Back