So effing rude!

Johnny said:
I remember being confused about the meaning of the word "fundillo" years ago and thought that it meant "back" rather than, uh, "asshole". I thought I would show off my new spanish skills one day to my secretary from Honduras by announcing to she and her six year old daughter that I had a really big pain in my fundillo. I'll never forget the look on that little girl's face.

I've looked it up and it seems to mean that, even though I've always used it in a whole different way. "Me sacó del fundillo" (as picked up and thrown out by the back of the pants). I never knew that you could be taken "by the fundillo" without having pants on :D. You live to learn.

nikad said:
Celia, you have been 4 and a half years here and it seems as if you are still trying to get things to change and be the way you want them to be, when it should be the other way around.
Well, when the burglar with the gun chased me up the stairs a week before I gave birth & held me and my 2.5 yrs son hostage till my husband gave him money, what should I have done? Offered to make him some mate?

Guillo said:
I've looked it up and it seems to mean that, even though I've always used it in a whole different way. "Me sacó del fundillo" (as picked up and thrown out by the back of the pants). I never knew that you could be taken "by the fundillo" without having pants on :D. You live to learn.
In much of Central America there is little doubt as to their meaning for the word.:D

There is so much difference in the meaning of so many words throughout the latin world. For instance I would strongly advise, while in Cuba, not to ask a woman if she has a papaya for sale. "Fruta bomba" will work, but "papaya" might get you slapped silly.

syngirl said:
Celia -- These are the BS types of statements that come out from your racist British National Party. I hope that should you ever go back to England you consider working as an activist on the side of immigrants having experienced what it truly is like to be on the "other side" of the coin.
You don't need to preach to me, syngirl, I come from Jewish immigrant stock & know as much about these issues as you...

I just have to say that I really haven't met many rude argentinians at all. Some bus drivers could do with a little charm booster but I don't see them as worse than anywhere else.
After 2 years here my spanish is faaar from perfect... but people seem to understand me good enough and the only comments I get from argentinians is that I speak well. Besides, language issues, for me, is part of the whole idea of living away from my country. Among other things... It's getting very whiny this forum.

Celia, you have to keep in mind that ever since the Falkland Islands this country has been really effy about supporting foreigners. Speaking here as a half Argentine myself, my mother had married another guy before having me and adopted two children, and they both hate me.

They can't stand it when I speak English, which is the language I often prefer, and although they don't display their displease as rudely it is still very obvious they rather keep in touch with me from afar and would prefer to speak to me as little as possible.

People here, specially people in the Gov, have really stuck up political ideals which blind em from everything else, and lemme remark, this will specially happen more often to you if you are British and carry around a British accent.

Personally, I know this because even though I am half American my mother was Spanish and she studied English in London, and she has a very cute british accent. She doesn't say "elevator" but "lift", for example, and thus I don't say elevator either. I have a mix of British, American and Aussie English in my accent and most people feel greatly displeased by it, although if I were to force myself to speak more "American like" they feel a lot more comfortable talking with me, it seems.

I've been told quite often to get rid of my accent, but I never will. I get told quite often to speak Spanish more often, but that I wont do either.

I am fair skinned and I look rather foreign in comparison to most people here, I am also Jewish and altho I don't look as Jewish as I could it is still obvious to some people, specially whenever they read my last name, and I guess that adds up a lot to it.

But this is something with time I had to learn to deal with, and you will have to do so as well for however long plan on staying here.

Sad truth is, I was born and raised here yet I get discriminated against my language and looks, however, I'll fly out of here sooner or later (rather sooner), and I know this won't happen anymore.

Iwaslukky said:
I just have to say that I really haven't met many rude argentinians at all. Some bus drivers could do with a little charm booster but I don't see them as worse than anywhere else.
After 2 years here my spanish is faaar from perfect... but people seem to understand me good enough and the only comments I get from argentinians is that I speak well. Besides, language issues, for me, is part of the whole idea of living away from my country. Among other things... It's getting very whiny this forum.

How were you able to find a cocoon to live in?

Just lucky, I guess (based on your user name).

And I'm just kidding.

In four years in CF I was never treated rudely by the locals.

Not even once.

Especially when I was being cheated.

texxaslonghorn said:
Tenes preservativos? Or, if you want slang . . . tenes forros?

And just be sure that if you are having a coffee and toast and want some jam or jelly NOT to assume that you know the lingo and ask the waitress for "preserativos" thinking that word means preserves.:eek:

Like I did the first week I was in BA.:eek:

Several days later I met my Argentine girlfriend. She taught me the meaning of the word and sent me to the farmacia to buy what she referred to in English as "the protection" (aka preservativos).:mad:

That's when I understood why the waitress was so shocked by my request a few days earlier.:D

Back