Spectacular Hi-Tec PH For 1YR Rent in Palermo Soho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people know Dom and he has been living in Buenos Aires for quite a while. The ad isn't a scam nor is there anything fishy about him or the company. I believe he has fairly recently launched his company and you can find more info on facebook, etc.

Yes, the prices are high. Yes, he is catering to a certain clientele at those price points and probably will be more based around short-term renters.

I wish him luck in the market.

The house does look espactular and while expensive it acceptable as you are dealing with a wealthy market that can pay these prices.

In Punta Del Este and Jose Ignacio there are houses that rent for US$ 50,000 per month for the summer . These are amongst the dearest rental prices in the world but still they get willing takers and many are cash rich argentinians.

I think the first 4 or 5 properties look very good and have above standard furniture, decor and amenities. If you think about it, there are crappy 1br apts going for 900$ or so, these houses for 7 guests are at decent prices. Especially if compared to 5 star hotels, etc. Of course this is not for the budget traveler. Also I do not think that these are rented monthly in most cases, most likely for a couple of weeks at a time. I for one would prefer the safety and services ( maids, massage, breakfast, etc ) of a 5 star hotel, but I think these look very nice indeed.

perry said:
The house does look espactular and while expensive it acceptable as you are dealing with a wealthy market that can pay these prices.

In Punta Del Este and Jose Ignacio there are houses that rent for US$ 50,000 per month for the summer . These are amongst the dearest rental prices in the world but still they get willing takers and many are cash rich argentinians.

I don't disagree that there are rental houses that may be a great value at 9000/mo or even 50,000/mo depending on market conditions. I simply wrote to question the relevance of quoting a luxury hotel daily rack rate in order to justify the cost of a monthly house rental. One has no relevance to the other.

Most houses like this are rented to tourists. The site is totally aimed at them. Said tourists compare the prices of these houses and apartments to hotel prices. That's the relevance.

jb5 said:
Most houses like this are rented to tourists. The site is totally aimed at them. Said tourists compare the prices of these houses and apartments to hotel prices. That's the relevance.

I disagree that said tourists compare the rack rate of luxury hotels in order to ascertain whether the monthly price of a one year house rental is or is not exhorbant. You may want to argue this, but to me it's self evident that the rack rate of a luxury hotel has absolutely no bearing on whether a residential rental is or is not reasonably priced or, for that matter, whether it is or is not an exhorbitant amount to pay for good housing.
For all I know that 9000/mo house is a bargain, but it is not a bargain because the alternative is 387 per day for a room at the Alvear. If I want to ascertain whether the price of the house is fair I would try to compare its price to the prices of other houses in a similar neighborhood (called comps in the RE trade). You know - apples with apples, not apples with oranges.

salgueiro said:
I disagree that said tourists compare the rack of luxury hotels in order to ascertain whether the price of a monthly rental is or is not exhorbant. You may want to argue this, but to me it's self evident that the rack rate of a luxury hotel has absolutely no bearing on whether a residential rental is or is not reasonably prced or whether it is or is not an exhorbitant amount to pay for good housing.
For all I know that 9000/mo house is a bargain, but it is not a bargain because the alternative is 387 perday for a room at the Alvear. Get real.

What does it bother you so much that the house is expensive . You do not have to rent it !!!

In my eyes there are many products that are way overpriced but accept that the world is built on speculation and that I cannot change this.

Think about how art can cost 10 million dollars for a piece of art is not rare and many famous paintings in my eyes are not worthy of 1000 dollars . Blue Poles comes to mind as the most overpriced piece of art and I am sure that many can name many more!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Poles

MizzMarr said:
yeah, but seriously you'd have to be a pretty green traveler to expect that you couldn't find something amazing (another house) if everybody pooled their money for MUCH less than $9k a month. If six people wanted to spend $600-800 each on accommodations you could find a really nice place for $3600-4800 for a month. I guess to me if I did have that kind of cash to spend I'd rather spend it on massages and dinners if I could have a very nice place to stay and save for the really fun stuff. But sure, house warming party why not.

Anybody staying in this town for more than a few nights is nuts to stay in a hotel.

Maybe. I don't know if you can find a comparable house for less than $9K. I'm not in the market so don't know what is in that price range. What I'm saying is that if you are in the market for the Duhau Palace, Four Seasons, etc. then spending US$300 a night is not unheard of. It is for me. But I don't stay at the Duhau sadly.

Plus if you had that much to spend on accommodation imagine how much you'd have to spend on food & massages, etc. ;) ?

And to Salgueiro, I never said the house was a bargain BECAUSE the Alvear is US$300+ a night. The reason I brought the "rack rate" for luxury hotels is just to say (let me repeat) that after my initial shock I realized that there are many people who do in fact budget US$300 and more a night for accommodation that is a fraction of the size. That's it.

Tourists visiting for a few weeks have no interest in studying rental prices in the places they're visiting.

Having been a tourist in many countries, my approach has been to look at the different options available in the place I'm visiting and to see what will be most comfortable at a competitive price. So I'll look at hotels, big and small, and apartment/home rentals to see which will be the best value. I really don't have the time or desire to understand the relative merit in the local housing market.

I imagine most rational travelers do the same.

jb5 said:
Tourists visiting for a few weeks have no interest in studying rental prices in the places they're visiting.

Having been a tourist in many countries, my approach has been to look at the different options available in the place I'm visiting and to see what will be most comfortable at a competitive price. So I'll look at hotels, big and small, and apartment/home rentals to see which will be the best value. I really don't have the time or desire to understand the relative merit in the local housing market.

I imagine most rational travelers do the same.

I agree with you. Tourist make a budget then see what they can get with in that budget. That's how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back