Spectacular Hi-Tec PH For 1YR Rent in Palermo Soho

Status
Not open for further replies.
perry said:
What does it bother you so much that the house is expensive . You do not have to rent it !!!

In my eyes there are many products that are way overpriced but accept that the world is built on speculation and that I cannot change this.

Think about how art can cost 10 million dollars for a piece of art is not rare and many famous paintings in my eyes are not worthy of 1000 dollars . Blue Poles comes to mind as the most overpriced piece of art and I am sure that many can name many more!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Poles

I think you need to read my comments more carefully. It does not bother me that the house is expensive. In fact, I never even said it was expensive. I said it might be a good value. I also said a 50,000/mo Punta del Este vacation home may truly be a good value.
The only point I am making is that one does not judge whether the monthly rental of a house or pvt apt is a good value at 9000/mo because a small room at the Alvear Palace would cost 387/ day. The correct way to determine whether any rental property is correctly priced is to compare it to other similar properties that are available in the market. Do you really want to dispute that?

mini said:
And to Salgueiro, I never said the house was a bargain BECAUSE the Alvear is US$300+ a night. The reason I brought the "rack rate" for luxury hotels is just to say (let me repeat) that after my initial shock I realized that there are many people who do in fact budget US$300 and more a night for accommodation that is a fraction of the size. That's it.
I'm confused. The person who first "brought" (up) the daily rate of the Alvear Palace was jb5. Be that as it may, the OP stated that the house rental was for a one year term. Even if you want to refer to the house tenant as a "tourist" it makes absolutely no sense to try to justify as reasonable a 9000/month price of a yearly house lease by pointing out that a small space in a luxury hotel is 300/night as if the per diem price of the hotel room had anything to do with justifying the per diem rate of the yearly house rental.

jb5 said:
Tourists visiting for a few weeks have no interest in studying rental prices in the places they're visiting.

Having been a tourist in many countries, my approach has been to look at the different options available in the place I'm visiting and to see what will be most comfortable at a competitive price. So I'll look at hotels, big and small, and apartment/home rentals to see which will be the best value. I really don't have the time or desire to understand the relative merit in the local housing market.
I imagine most rational travelers do the same.

The OP stated that term of the 9000/mo house was for one year. So travelers (tourists) who will rent a 9000/mo house for one year don't bother to shop around? Is that it?
And the house isn't necessarily a bad deal because a room at the Alvear Palace is 382/night. Is that also it?

No, I responded, I didn't bring it up.

Take a look in La Nacion to see what's available right now in the city. While $9K is certainly high, especially because this is not a large house, you'd probably be surprised at the price of exceptional furnished houses in BA.

This weekend the paper had houses and apartments ranging up to $13K if I recall correctly, maybe more. Do a search for those over $6K, there are many.

jb5 said:
Hey, we're looking for a really nice furnished house and would love not to pay prices so many here insist are crazy. Any leads much appreciated and rewarded!
BTW, cheapest room this week at the Alvear Palace is $382. That's a small single room.
This is the first reference to the per diem cost of a room at the Alvear Palace in this thread. The implication is that it is valid evidence that the 9000/mo price for a year house rental is not unreasonable.

jb5 said:
No, I responded, I didn't bring it up.
Take a look in La Nacion to see what's available right now in the city. While $9K is certainly high, especially because this is not a large house, you'd probably be surprised at the price of exceptional furnished houses in BA.
This weekend the paper had houses and apartments ranging up to $13K if I recall correctly, maybe more. Do a search for those over $6K, there are many.
By my reading you were the first to bring up the price of a room at the Alvear Palace. I do see, however, that Mini was first to mention per diem pricing of luxury hotels in post #17 as a way of rationalizing the price of a one year residential lease.
I would not be surprised by the price for one year leases of exceptional furnished homes in BA. I'm sure there are many swank houses on the market. Not only in Barrio Norte, but in Los Olivos and La Lucila where I often go to visit my relatives who live there in big swank houses.
The point you and others seem to miss is that the daily rack rate of a luxury hotel is no evidence of the correctness of the price of a one year house lease.
p.s. This thread was started by a new member who chose the name "takeoverBA" which strikes me as kind of obnoxious for a newcomer. His only other post (identified above) is consistent with that kind of gangbusters attitude. Again, this is not determinative of the value of the house on offer. But it does give a glimpse into the kind of personality one may be dealing with.

Why so much debate over something no one on the site can afford? Smacks of sour grapes!

You never know where the well off might be lurking! Even they need some entertainment.

Firstly apologies to anyone who feels I may have trodden on toes with my posting on this forum. It really wasn't my intention and didn't mean to snap even though i thought the first two replies, essentially: "ffs thats expensive.." and a closely-followed post high-jacking with a "look what I got for far less money.." were both fairly uncouth and inappropriate responses to what was simply an offer of a product at a price that both the owner, and I, as his representative feel fair, given a) the current market conditions of short-term rentals in Buenos Aires and the financial status of the targeted client and b) the amount of money invested and subsequent quality of the property in question.

If any of you have any experience in property construction over the last couple of years here (as I do; as well as overseeing the whole construction of the house in question, I am working on two other construction projects in the Palermo area), you will obviously be aware of the terrific rates of inflation that have not only affected material costs here in Buenos Aires, but also the associated labour costs/permit rates and taxes/architects fees and other hidden costs that this country surprises you with on a day-to-day basis... I'm sure many of you may have noticed (or at least have read ENDLESS forum posts based upon) the (sometimes terrifying) jumps in day to everyday living prices (14 pesos for a french baguette in Jumbo this weekend..I could complain about this with the rest of you until the ever-shrinking number of cows come home..) but may not have ventured into thinking how this situation of hyper-inflation might affect other aspects of the day to day life of those of us who do business in this difficult country. To sum up, building a house here just isn't cheap any more, even more so when finishing a house of this desired level of quality with the highest-quality, custom-made furniture, genuine ANTIQUES and IMPORTED ELECTRONIC GOODS (remember Argentina is still the most expensive country in the world to legally purchase an IPOD! (each of the 3 bedrooms of this house have AppleTV video jukeboxes for example..)) In my opinion - justified I feel by having spent the last 6 years of my life here in Argentina, the last 4 owning and working in rental properties AND especially seeing that at this juncture I am the only living soul amidst this debate to have actually SEEN the property in question- I feel that the published asking price of the house mostly just reflects this, and therefore is indeed a fair price. As an aside note to those less-knowledgeable in this specific area or just plain interested, Francis-Ford-Coppolla's property on the same city block rents for 4 times the price as Casa Gorriti, as does the clubhouse of another well-known rental company only 4 city blocks away..

Also to agree with various users who commented on this thread, the luxury hotel vs exclusive accomodation argument is not one to be discarded. As a comparison in this particular case finding rooms for 7 people at a high quality boutique hotel around the Soho Area for a month will cost well over 9,000 USD (try around 25,000 usd for 4 doubles at Home Hotel for a month.) Personally I would consider a house of this nature a bargain for less than half that price, particularly as I consider the privacy afforded by a private house to be almost invaluable in itself. Of course this is merely a question of personal taste.

I do apologise again for the brashness of my reply (which was promptly removed from the postings,) I just felt it equally matched the brashness of the posts I was replying to...

Finally a thank you to those who did not immediately jump to criticise, and even more to those who put in a kind word vouching for the legitimacy of both my business and personal character, that was much appreciated. I apologise if my tone in this posting and the other that was quickly cited, made me appear anything less than gracious. The only explanation I can provide is that I was simply having a very bad day, and those of you will have experienced this phenomenon whilst in Argentina will know just how compoundingly frustrating these days can be (think MIGRATIONS/PARCEL OFFICE/ AND GOVERNMENT-INCITED CONSTRUCTION PROBLEMS ALL IN ONE DAY!!) A forum on the country in question however just isn't the place to vent anger, so many apologies for this.

To address those who might think my username (takeoverba) offensive as a forum "newbie" please take note that it is simply a copy of my company name, a name that admittedly might appear to have little to do with the product im selling (well renting... We don't always end up in the exact job we had hoped for though do we?) which in fact has more to do with my two new residential properties- two student and traveler residences to fall under the brand Hostel Takeover... Also to those who directly questioned the authenticity of my company, you are of course entitled to your own opinion but as well as a "newbie" to this forum, the company is also a new endeavor. I am firmly of the belief however that we all have/had to start somewhere and at 24 years old I still consider myself somewhat a "newbie" to the business world in general- but just because something is new and THUS-FAR has little credibility, I wouldn't be so quick to call it BAD. Although the company itself is new the properties I offer and have been managing for the last 4 years have outstanding reviews and reputations and if anyone is interested please feel free to have a look at www.vrbo.com/80037 for an example of this. Those who quickly jumped to say that the photos are "copies" and the descriptions "lifted," please note this was an effort to save time and money on my part, but I think is justified considering that I manage (and in several cases OWN) the properties and wrote the texts/paid for the original photos MYSELF.

Finally if any (other) members of this forum are actually interested in the house please also feel free to contact me at [email protected]. This "newbie" will try my hardest to provide you with the best level of service possible and even if you are not looking for accommodation in Buenos Aires I am always happy to provide help or information on our wonderful and capricious city.

(Once again apologies for my 'mala onda' and I hope I haven't blown my chances of making worthwhile contributions to this useful expat resource further down the line)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back