Speedy and no where to turn

allcraz

Registered
Morning everyone. We've had Speedy in a San Telmo apt. (Paseo Colon altura 1000) for 2 years and have never been happy. We mostly relied on non-password protected connections in our building when our connection wouldn't work (WiFi). Now, there is a lovely couple renting out the place and the 1 problem they have is, of course, the internet. Fortunately I was up front with them and had told them about the internet issue. But still, we need a solution since they need a better connection to work. So, Speedy technicians have come MULTIPLE times when we were still living there, they've changed out the router/modem, given us new connection names, etc. Of course, we wanted to change providers. Preferably to Fibertel. (I feel as though it's the only better option. PLEASE advise here if you live in San Telmo and don't have Fibertel or Speedy but have another service you are happy with. I've only heard awful things about TeleCentro.) I called Fibertel once again this morning, and once again they explained that in those 3 blocks between Humberto 1° and Independencia on Paseo Colon, there is no internet service. Cable yes, internet no. The Speedy connection can go out up to 10 times a day. It's that bad. I've called and called and even cried on the phone, asked to talk to a supervisor and asked for a supervisor to come with a technician. The technician will show up unannounced without the supervisor. He'll play with the buttons and make that magical green light appear again, and then he leaves, and then it stops working 30 minutes later as always. Really REALLY I don't know what to do. And I'm asking for suggestions. Thank you.

allcraz said:
Morning everyone. We've had Speedy in a San Telmo apt. (Paseo Colon altura 1000) for 2 years and have never been happy. We mostly relied on non-password protected connections in our building when our connection wouldn't work (WiFi). Now, there is a lovely couple renting out the place and the 1 problem they have is, of course, the internet. Fortunately I was up front with them and had told them about the internet issue. But still, we need a solution since they need a better connection to work. So, Speedy technicians have come MULTIPLE times when we were still living there, they've changed out the router/modem, given us new connection names, etc. Of course, we wanted to change providers. Preferably to Fibertel. (I feel as though it's the only better option. PLEASE advise here if you live in San Telmo and don't have Fibertel or Speedy but have another service you are happy with. I've only heard awful things about TeleCentro.) I called Fibertel once again this morning, and once again they explained that in those 3 blocks between Humberto 1° and Independencia on Paseo Colon, there is no internet service. Cable yes, internet no. The Speedy connection can go out up to 10 times a day. It's that bad. I've called and called and even cried on the phone, asked to talk to a supervisor and asked for a supervisor to come with a technician. The technician will show up unannounced without the supervisor. He'll play with the buttons and make that magical green light appear again, and then he leaves, and then it stops working 30 minutes later as always. Really REALLY I don't know what to do. And I'm asking for suggestions. Thank you.

I am afraid I won't be much help in other things but PLEASE DO NOT GET TELECENTRO! I am bald from pulling my hairs out in frustration because of Telecentro!!

make sure , that if u have wireless, that neighbors arnt sucking your bandwidth. Router passwords are a joke here

I live in San Cristobal and have had all three, the current one is telecentro and have had a problem only once...all is well now, but I did have to wait 3 days for an appointment. When I subscribed to Fibertel it did not work from the day I got it.It would come up for 5 or 10 minutes then no signal. I would go to the office, they would have someone out the next morning to tell me it was my computer, fix it, and within minutes after they left it would go down.I would return to the office and they would have someone out the next day only to push some button and the would proudly explain that they had fixed it. Once when they came they happened to arrive at a time that it was up. The tech was so pissed that I was falsly claiming a problem and said the company should charge me for their time. This went on and on for a month, and finally Fibertel told me they have no solution and the best thing to do is cancel with them. I said fine but I do not expect th be charged since I never had service..The girl in the office agreed . Then I got a bill,went to the office and she apologized...then I got another bill with late charges....Then I got a notice of suspension.......WAIT I DON'T HAVE FIBERTEL!, I had already change to Telecentro. Then I got a letter from their abogada.....A month after I started with Fibertel, Telecentro came out, installed everything cable wifi and phone, checked out every tv (even adjusted the color on one) said thank you to ME, I wanted to give him a small tip and he refused saying he was only doing his job! He even swept up the little cable trimmings. That was refreshing! Cable and Internet service will vary from street to street depending on the cables and power of their amplifiers, but I was very impressed by the customer service of their field crew...By the way fyi. If they have to run a very long cable from the street to your place they need to connect the cable to the more powerful amp. They usually have 2 on the pole one for short runs and one for long runs. Good luck!

Fabe said:
make sure , that if u have wireless, that neighbors arnt sucking your bandwidth. Router passwords are a joke here

I have no idea how to make sure that's happening or not, but the Wifi is password protected.

james p said:
I live in San Cristobal and have had all three, the current one is telecentro and have had a problem only once...all is well now, but I did have to wait 3 days for an appointment. When I subscribed to Fibertel it did not work from the day I got it.It would come up for 5 or 10 minutes then no signal. I would go to the office, they would have someone out the next morning to tell me it was my computer, fix it, and within minutes after they left it would go down.I would return to the office and they would have someone out the next day only to push some button and the would proudly explain that they had fixed it. Once when they came they happened to arrive at a time that it was up. The tech was so pissed that I was falsly claiming a problem and said the company should charge me for their time. This went on and on for a month, and finally Fibertel told me they have no solution and the best thing to do is cancel with them. I said fine but I do not expect th be charged since I never had service..The girl in the office agreed . Then I got a bill,went to the office and she apologized...then I got another bill with late charges....Then I got a notice of suspension.......WAIT I DON'T HAVE FIBERTEL!, I had already change to Telecentro. Then I got a letter from their abogada.....A month after I started with Fibertel, Telecentro came out, installed everything cable wifi and phone, checked out every tv (even adjusted the color on one) said thank you to ME, I wanted to give him a small tip and he refused saying he was only doing his job! He even swept up the little cable trimmings. That was refreshing! Cable and Internet service will vary from street to street depending on the cables and power of their amplifiers, but I was very impressed by the customer service of their field crew...By the way fyi. If they have to run a very long cable from the street to your place they need to connect the cable to the more powerful amp. They usually have 2 on the pole one for short runs and one for long runs. Good luck!

Thanks James. I don't know. It's all so frustrating. We actually have Fibertel in the new place, and it's been perfect so far. We're now in Balvanera. I guess it really does depend on the street.

One of the apartments i was in had crap internet, sometimes worked fine, other times not at all.. called the company many times, they always said someone would be there withing 48 hours, and no one showed up.

Anyways after playing around, found out is was the cabling, and ended up checking all the connections, some of the co-ax cable connectors were not connected properly, some were not tighted properly - so maybe this is the same problem you are having.
The weird thing was that the cable TV never had a problem, which kind off didnt make much sence as they both used the same cable.

My advice is to keep trying services until you find one that's acceptable in your specific apartment. And then never touch it! There's no good service city-wide, and a service that's great in an apartment around the corner may suck in your home.

Unfortunately, the quality and reliability of your service depends on the infrastructure from their servers to your home, plus their local installation in your home, plus the management of the server farm. Theoretically, Telecentro has the best infrastructure - all fiber-optics - but everyone says their technical support is horrible.

Most people here swear by Cablevision/Fibertel, which I removed after 17 service visits didn't resolve reliability issues. But I still use Fibertel in one rental apartment, where it's rock-solid.

Now I use Arnet at home. It's generally reliable, but the last serious problem continued for 5 days, with constant calls to their techs and promises to have a senior tech call me that never came to pass. (I finally replaced the modem myself, and that solved the problem.)

A few months ago my Arnet connection was out again. When I finally got through to the Arnet/Telecom call center, the agent told me - with total sincerity - "our Internet access servers are down today for maintenance."

I checked out Speedy a couple years ago, but I found their mail servers listed among the top-10 SPAM generators in the world - a reasonable indicator of just how badly their servers are managed.

A friend with a small business that relies on Internet connectivity has 3 separate services - Fibertel, Arnet, and a third that's not available for home use. Normally Fibertel carries the load, but when it fails they fall over to Arnet. And if both are out, they use an expensive commercial service.

Well, I have since called BOTH Telecentro and Arnet. Neither of them can provide WiFi at our address, making me feel quite defeated. Arnet only has those mobile devices that plug into the USB drive.

allcraz said:
Well, I have since called BOTH Telecentro and Arnet. Neither of them can provide WiFi at our address, making me feel quite defeated. Arnet only has those mobile devices that plug into the USB drive.

I don't recommend contracting wifi from any of the providers. Get the standard, wired service and plug in your own wireless router. You will amortize the cost of the router in a few months of cheaper service. Plus any decent router will provide MUCH greater security, and most cover a much wider range of space than the out-of-date junk provided by the Internet services.

It will take you 5 minutes to configure your wireless router securely, and if you want an even more secure setup, you can find lots of online pages with more advanced lock-down hints for your particular model.

Back