Starting To Look For A Piece Of Land To Build A House

Except for buying art, which I assume you normally do in BA, you could live anywhere. The capital city of Mendoza is nice. Mind you, people say it is not at all safe. Cordoba has a lot of options. Women in cordoba are supposed to be gorgeous. From what I have seen that is actually true.

We were just in Mendoza for the weekend. In Luján de Cuyo you could have some very good possibilities of buying land with a view, on a river, even with some vines (a lot of people have some and sell the grapes on to various vinotecas)

Mendoza is quiet,I mean yesterday, Sunday it was a ghost town. Maybe Mendocinos are taking Monday and Tuesday as feriados before Christmas but there was barely anyone.

However during the year there are lots of fiestas, there are some fantastic restaurants around, of course the wine, and then you have the winter sports as well as kayaking, rafting, cycling etc the rest of the year.

And really it is a 12hr drive to Capital. If you got a truck (I'm not sure how large the objets / auction lots you purchase are, maybe a car with large baul is fine) you could theoretically do the run to BsAs at least once a month. A lot of people do.

Cordoba city I don't know but that would be my other option. I'd go have a stay in each Lujan de Cuyo and Cordoba and investigate more on the ground. I wouldn't choose Misiones because it doesn't seem to hit any of your needs apart from maybe cheap land and architecture contacts.

Didn't visit yet Misiones (kind of a syndrom: once you live in a place, you say "oh well, now that I live here, I'll visit this place later" compared to some people I met who saw more places in 3 months in Argentina than me in 11 years, another subject that could make a nice thread).

Problems of heat & humidity could be solved (I don't use A/C/dehumidifier in my house or in my car, but I could) but still, it's indeed a handicap, and a big one (I just hate this hot & humid weather, not my stuff). Problem of choice, balancing the pros & cons (as usual).

Being close to BA: because I often buy Art & Antiques at auctions (I sometimes sell too, sold recently all my 19th century photos about Argentina / not all lots were mine though = was likely the biggest photographs auction ever in Argentina until now = http://www.bullrichg...41_fotograf.htm ).

EDIT: + living near Bs As (or a really big city) is mandatory for me (like within a 2 hours drive from my home). For many reasons that can be easily explained.
Fantastic collection. Amazing peek into the past. Thank you for sharing.

What is the permit process for constructing your own house? My gut tells me it would be a bureaucratic nightmare: approval process. Good Luck Frenchie.

What is the permit process for constructing your own house? My gut tells me it would be a bureaucratic nightmare: approval process. Good Luck Frenchie.

If you build where I live you just start building....and there are no inspections...and no deadlines to finish...and no requirement to obtain a permit to inhabit the dwelling, even if it is still (very much) under construction.

That's just one of the reasons I would never offer the lot next to my house for sale in the "local" market.

We built our own house after buying a plot here in Formosa. Its not so far from Misiones/Posadas in terms of climate,costs,people,etc. As for climate, personally I love it here. Being able to use the swimming pool for 7 months of the year, and winter only lasts about a month in reality ie one week it will be mid-20s c next week will be a cold one ie 15degrees C and then it`ll be back up to the 20s again. I dont know how i`d ever be able to handle a European winter again, it will be tough. Also, I actually find the heat less of a problem than BA in summer. Less large buildings and roads to obsorb the daytime heat and power cuts are reasonably rare, perhaps once or twice a month and only once in 3 years can I remember it going off at night during the summer.
We`re actually off to Misiones via Posadas soon, its my first time to that area so will let you know. My only concern with the plot you found in misiones is the proximity to the river. It might be less risky there due to the hydodam and the height of the terrain around there, but here where the landscape is flatter there have been alot of problems with flooding around the province in the last year.

The other option you suggested is Cordoba. Its a nice ,safe city surrounded by beautiful landscape and the climate is cooler, still hot during the summer but cools down at night from the mountain air. But expect to pay more unless you live out in the campo.

In terms of building, I hope i`m not teaching granny how to suck eggs here, but get a good architect that does alot of things for you ie sourcing local materials,interior and exterior design,etc. Unless you have the time to do those things yourself of course. And a good recommended local builder that gives you a budget and sticks to it, with the inflation here you sometimes never know if your paying the inflation costs for materials/labour or the deposit on his new truck. We were pretty much left to buying the materials ourselves which meant a two or three times a week journey to various merchants trying to find materials in stock and paying for them to be then be delivered to our plot. It was such hard work when you are busy with kids,work,etc, but thats the way it worked with us. Perhaps it was bad advice, but people we talked too generally didnt trust builders,etc to source and buy materials and the builders didnt want to go and queue up to buy them anyway.

Anyway, PM me if you want any advice.
Good luck building a house, its worth it in the end.

Can I ask what you do for a living?.......

Elvis Impersonator... look at those mutton chops..... :D

but what would a house cost to build?? like a price per meter???
i am just curious about what is would cost.. anyone have a rough idea??
i know it is hard to probably say a price due to where it is built ,what style and quality you are trying for....

i really find san martin de los andes very special..... but staying 2 weeks is different than living there.....

So what is the ballpark price of construction? 2000USD/sq m? I bet Steve would say it's a low lower and I'm sure it is if time is not an issue, or if you don't use a contractor. I'd love to know how long it took pr1970 to build their house in Formosa.
As for contractors...
http://youtu.be/Z2qMDhGFwbw

Back