Starting To Look For A Piece Of Land To Build A House

In conclusion, it's possible in Argentina to buy some really top antiques for a very low price, including doors, windows, etc.

So I'd be stupid not to take advantage of that indeed!

Forget it if I still was living in France (although the Antiques market is ruined right now: some pieces of furnitures 200 years old which are interesting sell for 50 euros at Drouot in Paris), price per square meter in France ranges from 1.200 up to 2.000 euros or more. I couldn't afford that.

The silverware is truly beautiful! The good thing about art nouveau is that it allows for some flexibility in the building style. As you said it's not just curves and flowers (which are beautiful!) but it also plays with geometry. Taking advantage of the expanses of the Americas maybe Arts and Crafts should be the appropriate building style?

The silverware is truly beautiful! The good thing about art nouveau is that it allows for some flexibility in the building style. As you said it's not just curves and flowers (which are beautiful!) but it also plays with geometry. Taking advantage of the expanses of the Americas maybe Arts and Crafts should be the appropriate building style?

Building style will be a major challenge.
Personally, I love Gaudi's architecture, but I can't imitate.

Here's what my mother answered me (she's an architect) :
Ta maison devra être le reflet de tes rêves et de ta fantaisie, des tes errances et découvertes,
une maison du sourire ( comme le pays du même nom ) elle devra d'abriter, de faire rêver, te consoler,
t'enthousiasmer et être le reflet de ton âme

Your house should mirror your dreams & your imagination, your wanderings & your discoveries, a house of the "smile" (like the country of the same name). She should protect you, make you dream, console you, enthusiasm you & reflect your soul.

I think it summarizes quite well what the house should be.

The other challenge is that I'll build the second house not only according to the landscape, but also according to the doors/windows I'll add to it.

A danger would be falling into some kind of "too much", it should retain some subtility, etc.

In fact, I wonder how it will look like. Only limits are my imagination & laws of gravity :p

Being a little bit pragmatic, a choice of reliable internet connections is important.

I know some porteños who moved to Bariloche, rented a house and an office near Centro Civico. After the office was set up, they found out that the internet connection in Bariloche was very slow - part of their work is with videos - and they found an office with a good internet connection for their work 80 km away, the road was often blocked with the winter snow storms.

There is free wi fi at provincia de San Luis, however sometimes the connection is slow and not good enough for chat via skype, or there is not internet around a whole area.

I spent a few weeks in Tandil.
Another world over there, but it's definitely not "dead". The prices of lots are equal to or more than it is here. Doesn't make sense but from what the locals tel me; that's how they keep out those that can't afford it. I wouldn't even deign to consider the US$200K tag on an empty lot off the golf course... kinda out of my range, but with guidance from some local friends there, I think that there are areas that are more accessible.
The point being: Cordoba, Mendoza...aren't you just exchanging one urban center for another? My motivation is not maintain urban anything, i want to hear crickets at night and have a cigar in my hammock.

EDIT:
I spent some time in San Raphael in Mendoza province. That one was another spot I felt like i could really liked to build.

Indeed, the Mendoza region sounds really promising. Prices are incredibly low.

For instance 5 hectares for 550000$ in San Rafael (no house) = http://sanrafael.olx...a-iid-756210400

13 hectares in Santa Rosa (Mendoza) for 800000$ (OBO) with a modest house I could live in for 2 or 3 years while building the second house = http://santarosa-men...lery-big-viewer

I wouldn't mind having a few hectares with no plants. That would allow me to start another project I have in mind (mentioned it a few times here), which is producing black truffles. That's a quite complex (chemical properties of the soil, etc.) and lengthy process (you need to wait for 7 years before getting really truffles), but once it's implemented, it doesn't require much work, and it can bring nice profits: each hectare can produce 15/25 kilos of truffles at least. With 10 hectares planted & 200 kilos of truffles for instance at 700 USD per kilo = 140000 USD per year... Would be a nice pension plan indeed.
Also the soil which is fine for vine is usually very good for truffles (at least in France), but there are other chemical aspects as well (already digged into those informations).

Frenchie. Damn you. That's my door...................Ok you need some Erte! And I have the Alabaster Sconces for you.

Frenchie. Damn you. That's my door...................Ok you need some Erte! And I have the Alabaster Sconces for you.

I bought & sold some Erté pochoirs (most of them supposed to be gouaches/watercolors are in fact only pochoirs...). Not sure many people will understand that though ;) .
Bought though a truly authentic pastel by Erté in 1997 or 98.

Furthermore Erté is quite of a different era (rather the Art Deco "oh-la-la" Liberace style).

You jealous of the door :p

Back