Strange Things You (Would) Pack in Your Suitcase to move to BA!

My wife and I are making a list for the next time I go home to visit.

One of the weird things is a nice rug to wipe our feet for front and back door that you can wash and it doesn't fall apart all over the place. Stuff like that is very poor quality here.

Anything, and everything spicy I can find

And some real damn coffee, I mean real coffee, any kind will do, and will knock the socks off of anything I have bought here so far.

Things for the new baby... dang... stuff here is way expensive. Stroller/carrier/combo is double the price here as it would have been at home.

Nice sheets

Can you put central air conditioning in a suitcase? :)

Where do you guys shop? I haven't yet found anything I wanted that wasn't available here. Saran wrap and aluminium foil? It's everywhere. I bought a load of crap with me having read "advice" on this website only to find I had wasted my valuable baggage allowance and most of what I need is cheaper here anyway. There are only two categories of things worth bringing..electronics sue to the stupid tax of technology imports and decent chef knives (unless you are happy with the gaucho version). Anthing else can be found or improvised.

-Regarding bringing a car radio: You should always make sure the radio will tune to the correct carrier wave increment used in the destination country.

Many radios tune in steps of .2 MHz. So, if it is bought in a country where the stations are all on odd numbers (89.7, 102.3, etc.) and the destination country has even spacing (104.2, 106.8, etc.) the recipient will never be able to tune to a radio station.

If the radio tunes in steps of .1 MHz you won't have any problems.

Also bring antiperspirant. The stores in Bs As seem to sell mostly deodorant. The few antiperspirants I have found give me a rash. They use a different aluminum molecular compound as the active ingredient that in the US.

Neil

Sonicare Toothbrush
Braun shaver
Protein powder and bars
Maple syrup ($62 pesos is robbery)
Canada Dry gingerale ($9.60 pesos a can is laughable)
Twizzlers
Sour key candy
Ziplock bags
Mr. Clean magic eraser
Colgate toothpaste ($12 pesos is ridiculous)
Skincare (Murad & Philosophy)
Burts Bee's lip balm
Scented candles
Pure vanilla extract
Walnuts & Almonds from Costco (without the shell) it's $99 pesos for a kilo at DISCO!
Vitamins, flaxseed oil, Omega 3-6-9 etc..

The list can go on and on.

On my last trip back I brought 3 suitcases 32kilos each
One contained a KitchenAid Pro600 Mixer $350 CAD taxes included in Toronto here they don't have this model but the cheapest I've seen was $2800 pesos!! OUCH!

Miles Lewis said:
Where do you guys shop? I haven't yet found anything I wanted that wasn't available here. Saran wrap and aluminium foil? It's everywhere.

There is some sort of plastic wrap here but frankly, I sucks. I hate the plastic wrap here but I wouldn't go to the point of importing it. Don't know about the foil, I don't use it.

I brought only 2 extra items:

canned pumpkin (for holiday baking)
EARPLUGS!

I was able to find many of the items listed in previous posts, including baking powder and decent canela.

I would like a decent selection of sushi, but I couldn't pack that now, could I?

mini said:
There is some sort of plastic wrap here but frankly, I sucks. I hate the plastic wrap here but I wouldn't go to the point of importing it. Don't know about the foil, I don't use it.

How about Tupperware? Do they sell that here? Otherwise bring some because the plastic containers I have found so far suck as well.

But Miles could be right... might be because I have not found the right places to buy stuff yet.

Aluminum foil here is very flimsy and comes in small rolls and is expensive.
Garlic Powder, if you can find it is sold in very small envelopes or jars and also comes out costing a fortune if you use a lot of it.
Twizzlers should be coming soon to Buenos Aires, in my shop we import a lot of candy from the US, Altoids, Nerds, Sweettarts, Gobstoppers, Runts, Bubble Tape, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, PEZ Dispensers, and I have been giving suggestions as to what we should be bringing here in terms of candy. So far Twizzlers and KIT KAT bars are at the top of the list.
www.candylandshop.com.ar

As I am not that picky with most products (and since I know there is at very least better brands such as Alfa Parf, Khiel's and Kerastese available for hair), so far my main import will be antiperspirant (the only truly clear one I've found) & kitchen knives (plus personal electronics).

I do have a question about the availability of contact solution: are 'standard' brands simply not available, or are they more expensive. I use Bausch & Lomb (or its ReNu product) and I have never been able to switch - by the end of the day, other brands seem to leave my contacts dry & uncomfy. :( It runs about $8-11 CAD here for a large bottle ($10CAD = $36 pesos)

luddite said:
I brought only 2 extra items:

canned pumpkin (for holiday baking)
EARPLUGS!

I was able to find many of the items listed in previous posts, including baking powder and decent canela.

I would like a decent selection of sushi, but I couldn't pack that now, could I?

Sorry did not hear you, did you say "EAR PLUGS" You can get them usually on the plane.

Funny enough I always bring a selection of tango music. Not as mad as it sounds, I often buy it here but then take it home to rip it to MP3 so that I can play it on my computor. I have more space in Wales to store the CDs.

Back