Strange Things You (Would) Pack in Your Suitcase to move to BA!

ssr said:
Oh, another thing that's really come in handy is my Pur 3-stage water filter (the kind that attaches to the faucet; and plenty of replacement filters) and a couple of big water jugs with taps so I only have to pull them out of the fridge when I need to refill them. Water filtration stuff is crazy expensive here and the tap water is drinkable but has a bad taste (over-chlorinated, I think). So always having a few gallons of filtered water in the fridge is a great thing and well worth the $50 or so I spent in the US on the filter and water jugs.

Outstanding!!!!! I am bringing water filters with me!!!

I am coming down on Jan 6th. Anyone want me to bring anything?
I am packing an entire suitcase of must have items.

So far, it sounds like some chili oil, garlic oil, etc... is the most important.
(and deodorant).

Lemme know!!!

They do sell the brand of condoms "JÄGER" which are from Germany and are great quality. Never break and silicone lube is nice and slippery.
They come in a larger sizes, ribbed, and smooth texture as well.
http://www.jagercondoms.com.ar/

There is a wide selection of deodorants here (the brand names you know).

If you cook, I suggest you bring decent pot holders and oven mitts!

ghost said:
And who brought their vibrator? Com'mon fess up.

Perhaps Sarah P can make one from a mold of a moose she shot and market them to support her next campaign (perhaps with the campaign slogan/song "Good Vibrations").

That might "satisfy" some of her female supporters and/or detractors (in a deeper sense than they have ever known).

Boy, people sure have different opinions of "must have".
the plastic wrap here is perfectly acceptable to me, and they sell cheap tupperware at most every neighborhood housewares store.
And if you MUST have the best tupperware, there is a Tupperware brand boutique on Cabildo right around Olleros, which sells name brand Tupperware in a store that presents it as if it was Louis Vuitton or Prada. Probably priced similarly, although I didnt look.

Me, I bring good single malt scotch or american small label bourbon.
Both are hard to find here, and fiendishly expensive.
In Washington State, where I am from, we have some of the highest liquor taxes in the USA- and I can still find good single Malt for $25 to $35 US. The few brands that are here, like Talisker, are $300 to $400 pesos or more.
And I have never seen things like Knob Creek, or Bulleit, or Basil Hayden bourbon here, at any price.

I also bring US CD's for my Porteno friends- imported US CD's can be as high as $140 pesos, which was the price I saw today at Miles for a Russell Gunn CD that is available used on Amazon for $2.96 US. IF the CD is even available here- many are not.
So I take orders from friends- recent deliveries have included the Waterboys, Bruce Coburn, and Tom Verlaine, all completely unavailable here.

I brought a tiny grater, for the ginger in my morning fruit liquado. Argentine graters are crummy, especially small ones.

I will be bringing a small Braun coffee grinder next time- 220 volt is available from the exporters in LA who sell to sheiks and Indians and other wealthy americans with family still in the old country. Here, for some reason, no small home model coffee grinders of any quality- the only one we could find had PLASTIC blades- POS, as we say in my country.

I brought my old Airport Apple router- virtually worthless in the USA, worth well over $200 US here. Even a crummy router here for wifi in your apartment is $100 or more.

Strangely enough, Epson printers here, at least the models I have priced, are not insanely expensive, which is good, since a printer/scanner is too big to pack.

But most any small electronics, particularly ipods, are worth bringing.

I wanted a razor blade scraper to clean paint off my windows- cant find em here.

Ries said:
B
I wanted a razor blade scraper to clean paint off my windows- cant find em here.

And try to find a decent (3M) sanding block (available in every Ace hardware store in the US).

Ries said:
Me, I bring good single malt scotch or american small label bourbon....

...I will be bringing a small Braun coffee grinder next time...

...But most any small electronics, particularly ipods, are worth bringing...

Yeah, seriously, if you want bourbon down here, you'd better bring some down with you. Or, you can go to the-bar-that-can't-be-named-on-BAExpats.org which has a pretty damn good bourbon selection but I'm sure it ain't too cheap.

Just about everything coffee-related that I have down here is from the US. I have a small Mr. Coffee coffee maker (cost me like $12 at Walmart), a Braun coffee grinder, stacks of filters and pounds of coffee beans (a wide variety). I went to Brazil a few weeks ago and they have excellent coffee up there so I brought back a few bags from there as well. The only Argentine contribution to my coffee tool-set: the crappiest espresso machine ever made. And it wasn't cheap.

So, anyone heading down here for the first time should heed these warnings about electronics and appliances: they suck here and are way overpriced. If you must have, say, a coffee maker or a toaster or whatever, bring it with you. On a recent trip back from the US, I filled one of my bags with small appliances and other electronics. I may have spent $150 on everything at Walmart, Target and BJs in the US; here in Argentina the same trinkets would probably cost over 2000 pesos.

And if you really like coffee, bring some. The coffee here sucks. However, I have seen Juan Valdez recently on some bags of coffee at the supermarket, so there may finally be some good coffee coming down from Colombia (probably none too cheap, though).

I know a lot of people go home at this time of year but if anyone isn't and needs some small/inexpensive things let me know. I'm thinking spices, deoderant, make-up, etc. I'm going back to the U.S. on December 22nd and will return to BA on Jan 10. Just send me a pm.

As for me, I ALWAYS stock up on jeans at home. I just haven't been able to find pairs here that are of decent quality, fit well and aren't really expensive (like Levis here). And I live in jeans, so that's a must.

Coto sells a small coffee grinder under their house brand, Top House.
It is decent and relatively cheap with a stainless bowl and blade.

Good coffee must be imported, I agree.

Neil

Is it not strange that a country that has no much soy has nearly no soy milk so bring down a few gallons if you like it. Any vitamins that are decent are hard to find here also collodial silver which is an excellent product is impossible to find in health food stores in Buenos Aires.

Back