Strange Things You (Would) Pack in Your Suitcase to move to BA!

Pimms
Marmite
iPods (used as currency)
Mango chutney
Sweet and sour sauce
Copy of gaurdian+times+heat magazine
Books BOOKS
Curry powder
European wine/cava/prosecco (to show Argies such a thing exists)
Antiseptic cream/other medicines/antibiotics
TEA
Condoms
Power adapters
Photocopies of documentation
Updated Documents
Signed and translated birth certificate.
A good hat
Good waterproof jacket
And a flagon of damson gin.

markbsas said:
How about Tupperware? Do they sell that here? Otherwise bring some because the plastic containers I have found so far suck as well.

But Miles could be right... might be because I have not found the right places to buy stuff yet.

I don't know as I don't use plastic containers. But I do fight with the plastic wrap roll to cover ceramic or glass bowl.

rrptownley,

you mention condoms, good one... I stocked up on those too.

The thing is the condoms here are expensive but most importantly I just don't trust the quality...

And you can't have condoms without... lubricant (KY is horrible)

Okay maybe this post is getting a bit "slippery".. :D

Ailujjj said:
As I am not that picky with most products (and since I know there is at very least better brands such as Alfa Parf, Khiel's and Kerastese available for hair), so far my main import will be antiperspirant (the only truly clear one I've found) & kitchen knives (plus personal electronics).

I do have a question about the availability of contact solution: are 'standard' brands simply not available, or are they more expensive. I use Bausch & Lomb (or its ReNu product) and I have never been able to switch - by the end of the day, other brands seem to leave my contacts dry & uncomfy. :( It runs about $8-11 CAD here for a large bottle ($10CAD = $36 pesos)

They have ReNu here. That's what I use. It's about AR$36 but I think the bottle is smaller then the one up north. Not sure though.

good walking shoes for both hot weather and cold and rain boots for those deeeep puddles.
Nancy

mini said:
They have ReNu here. That's what I use. It's about AR$36 but I think the bottle is smaller then the one up north. Not sure though.

I like the Farmacity brand of contact solution, and I stock up when it's 2x1.

On a related note, once I switched to Acuvue Oasys, 2-week disposable contacts which I bought online in the U.S., I no longer had dryness issues.

markbsas - bring Tupperware from home!

Included on my list that hasn't already been mentioned:
- gluten free flours
- spring-form pan
- ice cream maker (cuisinart brand)
- nuts/seeds from Trader Joe's
- dried mushrooms
- good tequila or scotch
- specialty spices
- vanilla extract
- ketchup if I have room
- baseball glove and softball
- water filter for the tap
- dance sneakers for practice
- the kitchen sink (just kidding)

And who brought their vibrator? Com'mon fess up.

ghost said:
And who brought their vibrator? Com'mon fess up.

I'll fess up. I had a friend smuggle in Hitachi MW for me. Due to a lack of quality vibrators. Or maybe due to personal taste. I don't think Argentina's sexuality takes into account the female. You can see this in the lack of quality lube too.

Best thread ever. I have a new appreciation for the full range of products that Hitachi offers.

And, though they have been mentioned several times here it can't be repeated enough: pack spices. And sauces and oils and anything else you might need to add some flavor to your food. Man, how did Argentina wind up with such bland-ass food? This is South America! Fuck this, I'm going back to Brazil.

Oh, another thing that's really come in handy is my Pur 3-stage water filter (the kind that attaches to the faucet; and plenty of replacement filters) and a couple of big water jugs with taps so I only have to pull them out of the fridge when I need to refill them. Water filtration stuff is crazy expensive here and the tap water is drinkable but has a bad taste (over-chlorinated, I think). So always having a few gallons of filtered water in the fridge is a great thing and well worth the $50 or so I spent in the US on the filter and water jugs.

Back