Strange Things You (Would) Pack in Your Suitcase to move to BA!

CAROLINA GIRL! YES! By all mean, take it out of the package. I was talking to a friend from Texas about their flat screen they brought back. It was used by 6 months, but they brought it in the original box and were taxed at 50% of its purchase value...which I think was whatever value the aduanas put on it. They told them it was used, and they used as a reason to charge them the fact it was in the original box. If you really want to present it to your pals as a new item, flatten and pack the box wrapped up in some other items.

Miles Lewis said:
Where do you guys shop? I haven't yet found anything I wanted that wasn't available here. Saran wrap and aluminium foil? It's everywhere. I bought a load of crap with me having read "advice" on this website only to find I had wasted my valuable baggage allowance and most of what I need is cheaper here anyway. There are only two categories of things worth bringing..electronics sue to the stupid tax of technology imports and decent chef knives (unless you are happy with the gaucho version). Anthing else can be found or improvised.

Miles Lewis, I think your advice is wise...I would also say don't put anything in your suitcase that isn't PRIORITY for YOU just because you see it on a list! I could not go without my dripless coffee cup, but I could care less about specific feminine items (the Keeper, anyone?). But it is good to look on these sites and get an idea, like I did. Just don't take everything everyone advises you. (The only stupid thing I packed I regretted last time was a rope to hang my laundry.) There is aluminum foil everywhere, though of a much flimsier quality. But I never can afford expensive wrap at home anyway, and use it only when necessary in baking - like around pie crusts so as not to minimize my use of disposable things. The saran that is everywhere I think is great enough-you just have to adjust by cutting it with scissors. But I took a lesson from my Argentine bros and don't cover everything in the fridge anymore.

My packing philosophy is this: what are the "TOOLS" you use in your everyday life that are essential to your job/worklife? If you have a great MINI stapler that comes in handy for you at home almost daily, it will come in handy here as well, and you will regret not packing it. Your TOOLS are your go mug, your electronics, your best Tupper if you pack your lunch everyday. (The Tupper here will do if it sits in your fridge but don't expect to sit in your messenger bag and not leak everywhere!) Almost everything is replaceable, but it will take a long time to find some of your favorite things ....especially when it comes to quality.

Buying quality manfactured items here is super expensive, but you can come by anything medio-trucho, meaning crappy, for cheap. I bought two wine openers last year and I actually BROKE on two the metal part popping a cork. This year, I brought my own WINE OPENER-because what is Argentina without wine? But if you don't need the quality of an item to be just so, then don't pack it.

Evergreengal ditto ditto and DITTO on the vitamins. I brought I big thing of calcium and multi as well. Though I disagree about the food...spicy sauces are found a plenty in barrio chino. Check out mmmmm Salsa Taquero by whatever that one, only Mexican brand that is everywhere with the red label. I bought a Louisana green tobasco at Walmart San Justo I sprinkle on everything. I also use Bitarwan (Taiwanese brand) Ajies Picante spicy sauce on all my food from barrio chino. (Besides Walmart, this weekend I found some more garlic powder in barrio chino in Casa China with a bunch of bagged, non brand spices!) There's alotta spices in barrio chino, but I am still glad I brought my cinnamon...and the allspice for pumpkin (er, butternut squash) pie. I use my Argentine baking powder all the time: polvo de hornear...which you can mostly only buy in sachet bags like all the spices here, but while not as cheap as in the US, it's not outrageously priced, so it's not worth packing. I have never seen a chili or garlic here, so by all means, pack those.

Hooray, iStar! I also brought 3 multi packs of Burt lip balm!

I would also add that most of the food mentioned, unless noted specifically by the poster that it is not available...is available just not in the same way we are used to or at a higher price. So if there is not one condiment you must have you see listed, don't bring it!!!!! You will make your own list as you go and will give people a reason to send you overpriced care packages!

Coffee! Yeah, there's an area I had to settle where I never thought I'd settle. I got an Italian stove maker for about 10 USD here because I was not about to lug a drip pot (maybe some day...) or pay the 100 USD they seem to usually cost. Some Argentines have just the plastic part where the filter goes ...minus the entire rest of the machine (these are everywhere), that is the automatic drip MINUS the automatic. I didnt bring nice coffee with me, though, as I wanted to go cold turkey and settle for strongly brewed cups from the espresso pot with the inferior roast...

two groups of friends are coming down in a few months, and they asked me what I wanted them to bring....since I already brought down electronics, I asked them to bring down money! (I willl give them a check for it, of course). Its so much easier to trade in dollars for pesos than using the ATM machines for a 1,000 pesos a time, and no fees. Regarding electronics, I have now bought a digital camera on Meracado Libre for less than I paid in the states, same brand... and have been looking at TV's that dont seem to be that much more expensive than in the states... I have also found most of the spices and condiments listed above in the different stores in china town... the one thing i havent found yet is a simple electric toothbrush... not the kind that you have to have a charging stand with, just the kind you put a battery in..... any ideas?

steve, while not 3M, I have found the Doble A brand, made by Abrasivos Argentinos, of abrasive sponge is pretty decent. Cant remember where I bought it, but my guess would be either a paint store or my favorite hardware store for tools, which is on Vidt, about 30 meters north of Santa Fe. Small, but comprehensive, if you use real tools, it is one of the best places I have found close to the center to buy real quality tools.

I am an actual tool user, and I do bring many from the USA. Good quality hand tools like Klein are only available here in German import lines, which cost double US prices. Things like a Fluke Multimeter are quite pricey here. Same thing for tools of any type- while the argentine crochet hooks and knitting needles are OK, they are no match for the japanese Clover, or German products. Good scissors, like chef knives, are rare and expensive. Sewing Machines from name brands globally, even Brother, are significantly more expensive, and eventually I will be checking one in my baggage. The more esoteric the tool, the harder it is to find a good one here. There are some good tool stores out on Juan B Justo in Flores, but its a hike to get to em.

studiodio said:
two groups of friends are coming down in a few months, and they asked me what I wanted them to bring....since I already brought down electronics, I asked them to bring down money! (I willl give them a check for it, of course). Its so much easier to trade in dollars for pesos than using the ATM machines for a 1,000 pesos a time, and no fees. Regarding electronics, I have now bought a digital camera on Meracado Libre for less than I paid in the states, same brand... and have been looking at TV's that dont seem to be that much more expensive than in the states... I have also found most of the spices and condiments listed above in the different stores in china town... the one thing i havent found yet is a simple electric toothbrush... not the kind that you have to have a charging stand with, just the kind you put a battery in..... any ideas?

Speaking of TV's. If anyone has Direct TV and doesn't need a super fancy flat screen, I have a TV to give away.

studiodio said:
two groups of friends are coming down in a few months, and they asked me what I wanted them to bring....since I already brought down electronics, I asked them to bring down money! (I willl give them a check for it, of course). Its so much easier to trade in dollars for pesos than using the ATM machines for a 1,000 pesos a time, and no fees.

Brilliant!

Back