Stupid question about english grammar

Not sure it depends on the side of the Atlantic. For me, it depends on the author and his intent. Do you stress the collective group of opportunities or the individual opportunities with in the group.

For example,
The committee has decided against the measure. (decided as a unit)
The committee are debating the measure. (members arguing amongst themselves)

Here is a better explanation:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showpost.php?p=795677&postcount=8

ETA: Aha! I see from wiki posted above that their is some British vs American usage issues.

Bonjour mon ami. I would go for "are" as well, but there is another "problem complex" that we should look at: Almost no one writes or speaks that way unless they are wearing powdered wigs in London! Too many official papers in Les Etats Unis are written in difficult to understand English and it is infuriating!

I just think that since all the opportunities are referred as one collective object, it should be singular. I'll go with "IS folding"

Or just make it easy - there are many opportunities unfolding. ;) But if you must, I would use is. Or more accurately, I would say There is a multitude of opportunities unfolding. Multitude is the subject so the verb should agree.

Personally, I think that it depends on what the noun is describing. You could use multitude is or multitudes are, but in this case you're describing a multitude of opportunities, but what are the opportunities doing? They are unfolding. A multitude of opportunities are unfolding is how I'd write it. You wouldn't write a multitude of opportunities is being explored, would you?

Soy yankee, tambien. I would also agree with Citygirl's alternate propositions if you want to be careful and avoid the problem altogether.

'Of' is a preposition starting a prepositional phrase. 'opportunities' is the object of the prep phrase and totally out of the subject-predicate relationship, the subject of the sentence being 'multitude'.
Multitude is
Multitudes are

The sentence is awkward either way, it's passive, and I believe the word "multitude" refers primarily to people. As a rule of thumb, I feel, if there is a more concise way to say something, use it. If it draws debate, there's more than likely a better way to say it.

Many opportunities present themselves.
Opportunities abound.

I have another stupid grammar question, but after hearing that phrase for so long, I can't tell anymore:

My boss says:

"Are you getting closer to move forward?"

and to me, it doesn't sound right...

I would say:

"Are you getting closer to moving forward?"

Thanks...

What do you guys say?

Back