Stupid question about english grammar

tangobob said:
The subject of the sentance is a multitude not opportunities. Now if it were; Opportunities are unfolding that are multiple. Then opportunities would be the subject and "are would be the right word to use.

The subject of the sentance is what we are talking about.. In this case opportunities.. We are not talking about multitudes !!

We have 2 nouns here (multitude and opportunities), but one of the nouns is describing the other which makes it act as an adjective and always comes first, and if there is a plural it is the real noun..

So in this case the multitude is the noun acting as an adjective and the opportunities is the noun - and the subject.

From a grammatical point of view, the subject is "multitudes", but from the point of view of semantics, the subject is "opportunities". You choose. I like the semantic view better, and so the option in the plural: "A multitude of opportunities are...".

Then, what about the reverse case, like this:

'I need another ten dollars.'

'another' is clearly singular, even though 'ten dollars' is clearly plural.

And I think that this latter case is generally accepted. So, you see, in many cases we stick to semantics rather than grammar (in English more than in Spanish).

Cheers

As some else said earlier, of opportunities is a prepositional phrase. That means that opportunities is the object of the preposition, of.

Therefore the sentence is "A multitude (of opportunities) is unfolding". Multitude is the simple subject and the correct verb (is) is singular. There are no adjectives in this sentence.

Santiago F said:
From a grammatical point of view, the subject is "multitudes", but from the point of view of semantics, the subject is "opportunities". You choose. I like the semantic view better, and so the option in the plural: "A multitude of opportunities are...".

Then, what about the reverse case, like this:

'I need another ten dollars.'

'another' is clearly singular, even though 'ten dollars' is clearly plural.
====================================================
Yes "another" is a singular pronoun. Ten dollars as used here is also singular. It is ONE GROUP/UNIT.

Expressions of time money and distance>>>singular verbs. Generally.

Five thousand miles is too far to go.
Fifty dollars is not much to give.
Ten hours a day at the computer is too much time to spend.

A single verb expresses the quantity of a single unit; a plural verb as a group of separate units.

twin said:
Yes "another" is a singular pronoun. Ten dollars as used here is also singular. It is ONE GROUP/UNIT.

Expressions of time money and distance>>>singular verbs. Generally.

Five thousand miles is too far to go.
Fifty dollars is not much to give.
Ten hours a day at the computer is too much time to spend.

A single verb expresses the quantity of a single unit; a plural verb as a group of separate units.

Yes, and that is accepted because, in this case, we rely on the semantic perspective. But as regards grammar, "ten dollars", "ten hours", etc. is plural, whether we think of it as a single unit or not. The same goes for "A multitude of opportunities": grammatically, the verb should be singular ('is'), but from the semantic point of view, it should be plural.

That's my point. We choose: grammar or semantics. And in this case, as with expressions of time, money, and distance, I would choose the semantic standpoint >>>> "A multitude of opportunities are...".

Thanks, twin.

Back