Stupid question about english grammar

Close to + Noun/Gerund so I would say " moving forward"

Multitudes of opportunities are unfolding

or

A multitude of opportunities is unfolding

This discussion reminds me of Saturnine's signature (taken from Arthur Rimbaud) : Je est un autre (I is someone else)

andebobandy said:
You guys should check out Woe is I. It's a great nerdy grammar read.

I don't want to pre judge, as I have not read this book, but as JP said, grammer is different either side of the Atlantic, American English differs in many respects to UK English. So I suspect that to a student of English in the UK this book would be of little use. (although I am prepared to be proven wrong)
My spell check infuriates me, as it is American English. The use of "are" where we would use "is" is just one annoying example.
The guy who said we are two nations divided by a common language was wrong, only when you understand that we talk two different languages will we fully understand each other. :D

Which of those two sentences are correct :

a multitude of opportunities is unfolding

a multitude of opportunities are unfolding
Just saying it out loud straight away tells you which is correct, the first one doesnt sounds correct, well to a kiwi ear anyways..

IS is used in the singular, ARE in the plural - depending on the subject.. The subject here is the "opportunities", which are pural..

Eg: This man is from france, These men are from france.
There is an opportunity, There are opportunities..

Why not simply use Lousiana red neck structure and be done with it.
"a fukin multitud of opertunes be unfoldin"

davonz said:
Just saying it out loud straight away tells you which is correct, the first one doesnt sounds correct, well to a kiwi ear anyways..

IS is used in the singular, ARE in the plural - depending on the subject.. The subject here is the "opportunities", which are pural..

Eg: This man is from france, These men are from france.
There is an opportunity, There are opportunities..

It is singular (a multitude) plural would be multitudes.

The subject of the sentance is a multitude not opportunities. Now if it were; Opportunities are unfolding that are multiple. Then opportunities would be the subject and "are would be the right word to use.

Back