Summer And Power Outages,how Well Prepared Are We?

It's the distribution - old infrastructure failing all over the city.

Does this mean that if my power was out and already restored that it would be unlikely that it goes out again?

I'm here in BsAs because of a surgery and I am really hoping that the power doesn't go out again during my recovery - thankfully when it was out Sunday night/Monday morning it was before my surgery. The power has been fine since then but I worry since it's supposed to get hot again after the weekend.

Capitanich did a great job digging a deep grave for himself and the national government. "Bro, if you've got a problem, don't talk to us, no no no talk to the companies. It wasn't us...its the boogeyman!" And then, "If the companies don't fix it, we're going to take over the operations from Edesur and Edenor". What does he think will happen then? CFK will produce electricity from her stash? Where is he going to get investment from? The almost broke Central Bank?

This is scary seeing how they're "managing" this situation.

Meanwhile, the governor of Corrientes is talking about thinking of issuing parallel currency like they did during 2001...because the province (and other provinces), according to them, is broke. What the heck is going on? http://www.clarin.co...1050495403.html

EDENOR spokesperson is on TN right now, if anyone's interested.

Here's some detail on the last one: http://en.wikipedia....i/Patacón_(bond)

Issuance of these bonds in and of themselves probably isn't bad (again, someone better informed can help me out here), but it just suggests that things are probably worse than the national government's letting on...or the governor is just making a big deal out of nothing.

If someone knows more about this, I'd appreciate some explanation.

Does this mean that if my power was out and already restored that it would be unlikely that it goes out again?

I'm here in BsAs because of a surgery and I am really hoping that the power doesn't go out again during my recovery - thankfully when it was out Sunday night/Monday morning it was before my surgery. The power has been fine since then but I worry since it's supposed to get hot again after the weekend.

No, it means you are likely to get affected again in a couple of days when the weather gets really hot again.

It's the distribution - old infrastructure failing all over the city.
would hate to think how many old transformers and circuit breakers use PCB for insulation and cooling. Environmentalists would have cardiac arrest.

We had no power from about 8 am - 4 p.m on Tuesday as was the entire area. Thank god for the generator a million times over. At least I could put on the fan but the babies were suffering.

Sounds like many people in this forum have been lucky. This is our third night with no power, no elevators and no water. And no end in sight. Some people go on about the city infrastructure (which of course is largely old) but simply don't connect their own behaviour when their power is on to the fact that their neighbours don't have power for the basics.

If it isn't essential TURN IT OFF!!!!!

We all need to accept there is a problem and stop making it worse by our own actions.

A word of warning:

When ever the power goes out, MAKE SURE you unplug from the wall any electronic appliances that are of value to you before the power comes back on.
This is cause there's a very real chance that when they turn the power back on, if they make a mistake, you'll get a surge that could fry all your devices dead.
If you are out of the house then there's not much you can do, but I recommend you do this when ever you can in order to minimize the chances of burning up expensive electronics. I never leave anything plugged in unless it has to be, if I'm leaving the house, I unplug all devices that don't need to be plugged in. Don't forget, a lot of buildings here don't have true electric ground, they have what's called a 'false earth', in other words, that 3rd input is not earthing at all.

Back