Summer And Power Outages,how Well Prepared Are We?

Generally when I hear UPS I think of a small battery-powered uninterruptible power supply that is typically the size of a shoe box and is used to keep your computer going during a brownout, or for a half hour or so giving you time to shut down the cpu and save your work. Sounds like you're referring to something substantially bigger. What is it and how does it work? It maintains an entire apartment? Is that just the lights, or also the fridge? For how much time?

Ok I wish I could explain it more technically, which I will ask my husband tomorrow and explain further but the UPS for the apartment runs fan, lights and smaller appliances like charging a cell phone but no fridge or tv. However in Dominican I have used it for tv for an hour or so as well which is not advisable but it did work. If you keep the usage to the minimum like only the needed lights and one or two fans it usually lasts you about 8 to 14 hours if not more, I have seen two big batteries as one for primary use and second for backup and I have seen single battery making good use too ... then when electricity comes back it goes back on recharge mode. its quiet convenient and im surprised why no one knows about it or uses it here I have seen people use it in Asian countries too ...

I find it better then using Generator because generators use fuel also the fumes are awful ... the UPS doesn't have none of that and no noise too ... only after sometime you need to put in the battery water if I know correctly that is also i think takes about 5 to 6 months or until its needed

$5000 ARG Pesos buys a complete Solar kit to charge 3 or 4 - LED light bulbs and a small TV or laptop. That's about $625 US for a Solar Panel (45 watt?), inverter, charger, battery, cable, and bulb holders. There are many Solar stores in BA or others that ship nationwide, http://www.solaryeol...CARTELERIA.html

Unlike battery backups, IF the power is out for an extended period of time, say a few days, it will still provide you with power. A UPS or battery backup last only as long as the battery does. No more grid electricity from the power company, no more battery backup. Get a System with a little more power and you could have a small refrigerador. Hairdryers and Microwaves use a lot of power. Other things, not so much. If you had enough power to heat a hotplate for food and water, refrigerador(small), and a small washing machine. One could live a semi-decent home life off the power grid.

Well tonite drove at 11 pm around Almagro, Jujuy and San Juan, major streets cut off by piquetes of people without electricity, traffic jam, major detour....!

At least he fronted up, but yeah. I was so happy to see a little bit of rain yesterday, then I got home and my dear wife had the persianas pulled down and all the aircon blowing "just in case": Ps...she was in bed under the covers because she got cold.

This isn't good news for those getting affected by power outages: Temps to reach 40 degrees in Buenos Aires

http://buenosaireshe...in-buenos-aires

I used to live in Dubai, 40-48 degrees C was the norm there during summers. But I would not even dream of being in such a weather without airconditioning.

Also seems like Christmas Eve is going to be stormy/windy (mixing of cold and hot winds).

Has Captain Fantastic lost his marbles as well now?
'If you can't deliver an electricity supply, then we will....' or words to that effect, threatening nationalisation of Edenor/Sur.

Has Captain Fantastic lost his marbles as well now?
'If you can't deliver an electricity supply, then we will....' or words to that effect, threatening nationalisation of Edenor/Sur.

Hasn't nationalizing Edenor/Sur been on their agenda for quite some time anyway? Seems to be a trend: Create situations, with decrees and laws to keep prices prohibitively low, where companies constantly make losses and hence don't invest more money...blame the companies for all the ills that befall citizens...swoop in like superman in the name of national sovereignty and la patria!! and take over the company.

Happened with YPF, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again with electric companies and then later telephone companies.

Would think with the holidays approaching industry/manufacturing would be winding down and electrical demand would be down accordingly. Kind of how it works in other parts of the world, but who knows in Argentina. Worked as a dispatcher for many years and these outages certainly seem to be a lot more than just rolling blackouts. Cannot figure for the life of me the rhyme or reason for theses extended outages. Cannot possibly be blamed on high demand 24/7. Loading is very predictable with peaks hitting at 1600 1700 hrs. During weekends and holidays, it is a cake walk.

It's the distribution - old infrastructure failing all over the city.

Back