Tea - REAL tea - where?

Napoleon said:
I would recommend going to Chinatown (if they have one) and buying the local black tea or red tea and giving that a shot.
No Chinatown in Mendoza.

I haved asked all my local friends and they tell me that there is only one tea shop in town - tried it but to no avail - what they sell, I wouldn't wash my feet in.

In England you can have your tea both milky and strong -- you know, you can put in lots of milk but it still has flavour and colour! In Argentina I have yet to find a brand that can do this -- I usually end up using about 3 teabags per cup. I do end up bringing back PG Tips when I have the chance. I'm not a tea snob, I just want a run-of-the-mill tea that can handle a good dollop of milk! If anyone knows a good brand for that, please let me know...

The Twinings tea bags here burst v. often....apart from being hugely expensive! It seems they are made for the SA market.

Syngirl: Arghhh, té con leche that comes off beige! I know what you mean... Tastes like watery milk and sugar, doesn't it? My mom buys Taragüí International/Deluxe/Extra or something like that. It is a little stronger than regular Taragüí. Maybe you'll be fine with just two bags.

I used to rent my Mallorca studio to British pensioners and they used to leave boxes of those PG tips you are talking about. I found the shape so weird! And I had to take the bag right away or my tea would be way too black.

PS: Stay away from La Virginia. That tea is weak even for my bland Argentine palate.

Virgin Islands isn't as bad as some of the other teas. Green Hills has got a builder's cuppa edge to it. I have been known to buy the odd packet of Big Ben when I see it...

There is a place in Recoleta called Tea Connection. I used to go when I was studying in that area last year. It's a cafe but they also sell tea, pots and all that goes with it. I only ever ordered Irish Breakfast, but they did have a big selection. Their website is here: www.teaconnection.com.ar I just tried to see if they deliver but it is offline. Maybe try again in the next few days.

PS - John.St..,. def factoring in Mendoza to our trip to San Juan in October!! We will look into work and living options whilst there.

erindanelle said:
... PS - John.St..,. def factoring in Mendoza to our trip to San Juan in October!! We will look into work and living options whilst there.
Erin, I suggest you read "Experiencias contrarias from Mendoza " http://baexpats.org/expat-life/5585-experiencias-contrarias-mendoza.html - that'll give you an idea of some of the differences between BsAs and Illustre ciudad de Mendoza (which has grown to include Las Heras, Guaymallen and Godoy Cruz thus some 850,000 inhabitants, definitely not a metropolis but neither a small town).

Also crime rate is assumed to be among the lowest in Argentina since the governor, Jaque (sin 'c') borrowed some 400 carabiñeros to patrol the streets at night. You run in to them all over town all night, on foot patrols or standing in the shade of one of our thousands of trees.

We also have many ordinary police officers in two's on bicycles w/ radios - great idea as a criminal cannot outrun a bicycle and the nearest patrol is called in to cut off escape. E.g. bag snatching, which once was a popular sport, is virtually non-existing.

A 99 per cent risk of getting caught works better than a 1 per cent risk of 100 years in jail.

Violent crime does exist, but at a very low level and almost exclusively in certain barrios - I feel very safe in town day and night.

PS: A couple of Danes are visiting BsAs commencing early October. I am trying to persuade them to bring real tea and 'Super Piratos' (a Scandinavian specialty, not fit for human consumption) - will probably depend on their luggage weight.

Celia said:
what are super piratos?
A Super Piratos is a Scandinavian thing, a kind of licorice (Limey :D dictionary: liquorice) with an addition of ammoniumchloride & other stuff, come in the shape of disks of about 31 mm (1 1/4 inch) in diameter, 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick.

I once broke one in quarters and gave one of the pieces to an Argentinian girlfriend.
Much to my surprise she asked to have two whole ones.
"Sure", I said and handed them to her, "do you like them?"
"I am going to kill my younger brother", was her reply.

I have tested Super Piratos on diverse other South Americans (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Brasil) and they definitely didn't like'm. Two or three of them didn't spit it out - I have some very polite friends :cool:

(Add: There are only Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish texts on the bags - a waste of space to add the usual English).

It is generally assumed that you die if you eat a whole bag (200 g = some 6.5 ounces) in less than an hour - probably correct, I usually eat 2 to 4 a day - love them madly :p

I very much doubt anyone would try to consume a whole bag, even with the best of intensions - my own maximum consumption has been some 20 in one day.

My husband bought some Oolong loose leaf from a tea shop in Buenos Aires for my birthday in May. I eagerly brought it out to make my first cup, smelling the leaves in anticipation...only to be greeted by the overwhelming odor of blackberries!?!

Hmmm, not so traditional, I laughed to myself. (They would be freaking out in China that this was called Oolong!) I now smile and enjoy my Argentinian berry version of this famous brew every time we make biscuits.

Back