Teeth Cleaning? Common Here?

bleedin hell,ultra sound,radiogram what else do you folk have done to yer internals?suppose you have to make sure yer teeth are in good nick otherwise how would you manage to be top of the obesity league.haha

as it happens got to have some fillings done later today,manuely.

Just contacted Pelcman's office. Claudia replied that it is $100 US for consult, x-ray and cleaning.

I think teeth cleaning by a dentist is not common in Argentina. I live in Bariloche and have gone to the two best dentists in town, based on many recommendations, and one said I didn't need cleaning, which was a joke, and the other stuck a pick in my mouth for about 30 seconds and then started polishing. On both occasions I had gone six months without cleaning, and in the US I know any dentist would have done a thourough job taking more than half an hour.
However I once walked into a dental office in BA, got an appointment for the next day, and they did a very thourough job for a reasonable price. That was a chain of dental care offices but I don't remember the name.
I get the idea, from talking to Argentine friends, that very few people here understand the need for professional cleaning. They only go to the dentist when they're in pain. If a dentist tried to explain to them about cleaning they would probably think it's a scam. They all think toothbrushing is enough. So it's a public education problem. I'm sure there are some well-educated dentists here that know what is required, but they will probably be foreign educated or have foreign clients, hence they won't be cheap.

What is the appropriate price for paying for simple but thorough dental cleaning.

I had approached the infamous Dr bettina. And she referred me to some dentist in belgrano, who does not speak a single word of English. Afterall , we chose people like Dr bettina because they speak English. That dentist took 4 sessions to clean my teeth and each session, she charged me 300 pesos. I knew I was being conned but since I had already committed, I did not stop it midway.

I was disappointed with dr bettina. She carried very good reviews here but it seems she was hands in glove with this other dentist, who made it a point to overcharge me and spread my cleaning for 4 sessions. I can not imagine my teeth were so dirty that they needed 4 sessions. Each session was probably 20 minutes and no more. Dr Bettina has lot of admirers here. But for me , she was 100% con artist.

So can anyone suggest me a HONEST dentist who would do a thorough cleaning of my teeth in ONE session and not charge me more than 200 or 250 pesos.

Thanks

I go through Hospital Italiano. The cleaning is done at a different appointment than the xray and dental check. They were very very thorough with the cleaning and even fixed part of my tooth where the gums are receeding. I highly reccomend HI.

Hi NYKate...

Do you remember the cost involved ???...
I Could use a thorough cleaning my self.

[sup]for what its worth, I just got back from the U.S. My favorite hygienist there told me to forget about finding a good cleaning here and to just buy a Phillips Sonicare electric toothbrush. She said that it does basically the same thing that she does. I am tempted to think that this might be just a promotional scam, but I have been going to her to 15 years and like her work, so I am more inclined to trust her. [/sup]

I got my teeth cleaned last saturday at a local dentist (in Flores, end of the A line). I had a lengthy argument with the dentist about having an X ray first. When I said, well, no, I don´t want an X ray, she said, well I can´t clean teeth without an X ray. So I said, well, I´ll be off then (altho I was already in the chair, wearing a bib). So she said, well, in that case, I will give you an aesthetic cleaning (WTF?). The cleaning was ok, 30 mins with high pressure water and some sort of sanding effect. ´Look ! how lovely and white they are!´ said the dentist ´but they would have been better with an X ray first´. Makes me wonder about her qualifications and/or honesty.
The cost was 250 pesos, which I thought was quite enough. Wouldn´t recommend that dentist. I will try HI next time.
I don´t know, US$100 (ref post about Dr Pincman?) seems expensive - that´s what I paid in Paris, my dentist was on Avenue Hoche, just off the Champs d´Elysees!

What is the appropriate price for paying for simple but thorough dental cleaning.

I had approached the infamous Dr bettina. And she referred me to some dentist in belgrano, who does not speak a single word of English. Afterall , we chose people like Dr bettina because they speak English. That dentist took 4 sessions to clean my teeth and each session, she charged me 300 pesos. I knew I was being conned but since I had already committed, I did not stop it midway.

I was disappointed with dr bettina. She carried very good reviews here but it seems she was hands in glove with this other dentist, who made it a point to overcharge me and spread my cleaning for 4 sessions. I can not imagine my teeth were so dirty that they needed 4 sessions. Each session was probably 20 minutes and no more. Dr Bettina has lot of admirers here. But for me , she was 100% con artist.

So can anyone suggest me a HONEST dentist who would do a thorough cleaning of my teeth in ONE session and not charge me more than 200 or 250 pesos.

Thanks

Ceviche Bettina was the dentist for me & my husband for over 7 years in Bsas - not once did I go to Belgrano for teeth cleaning as the hygenist was in the room opposite and did the cleaning there. Bettina to me represents the best of Argentinean professionals. She has a fabulous personality and overruns all appts by chatting too much about life and fun. I had OSDE 310 but she walys tried to help us escape extra costs in any way she could be changing treatment descriptions. I'm sorry your experience was different. To me she was and is a sweeheart unless she has had a complete personality transplant!

Back