Tell Me What You Want

So... a lot of fresh ideas showing up since the admin last responded.
And... crickets.

So, this is what is going to happen. This forum has not had a major software upgrade for like five years. And yes, it looks a bit dated and yes, it could be more mobile friendly. (And I have some technical reasons as well). So I am going to update the software to something top-notch, and that will keep us going for the next five years. At the same time, my goal is for people who are practicing an ancient art of writing in long sentences still to feel comfortable here. So current experience will be preserved in this respect.

Then we implement some form of collective moderation. I think it will be a good start. How it will be done practically depends on features available in the new software.

What I wanted to see at this point is that there are people who love this place and who are ready to get involved. And I am grateful to all of you who responded. I think it makes sense to upgrade first, and then to learn how to do things than doing it the opposite way.

Regarding the rules, I do believe that smaller community can be nicer and we are in a different situation now than we were 12 years ago. Really, it is mostly about trying to create an enjoyable environment. I think we can work something out bit by bit.

Well, the other FB group is not really democratic. You are lectured and sometimes publicly embarrassed... Reasons are not given in the open, but the social media format made it attractive for many.

The moderator of that forum ( unlike the moderator of this forum) is active on a hourly basis..as if he has no other work in his life. He will comment on each and every post and has v biased opinions about things and people and he is one of those people..who thinks that he is a King of some nation just cos he is moderating a fb group.

This forum despite some minor flaws is 1 million times better.

Regarding collective moderation -

I personally feel - there are 3 people who make the perfect team and have long standing in the forum. And will stay long time in Argentina.

One is of course me . Completed 10 years here and planning 10 years more.

the other is Steve in BA - He is one of most admired members of the forum and has been here for a long time. Plus he plans to retire here.

The 3rd one is ben - who suggested collective moderation. He makes many useful posts plus he seems like a man of great integrity.

the 3 of us belong to different ends of the spectrum. This is important as this will not allow a "group' to be formed for one type of "moderators" trying to ban any post of any member they dislike.

I have never met the other 2. I doubt steve in BA has met ben.

The moedration should work as follows -

1. eg Bajo_Cero 2 makes a post. I always agreed with him and admire his knowledge on his specialization. ben on other hand always doubts his posts. So if Ben wants to moderate his post. he can not till all 3 of gives a thumbs down to bajo cero's post.

so any post to be removed must get a thumbs down from all 3 of us.

2. On other hand - none of the 3 of us are in favor of posts of "musicman". All 3 of us will give him thumbs down..and his posts will vanish. ( unless the owner of this forum is in favor to keep musicamans posts - only for amusement).

3. many of my own posts are controversial. i am especially disliked by some of the senior members of this forum, some of them maybe friendly with Ben and/or Steve in BA but of course only the owner of the forum will have right to remove posts of the collective moderators - not one moderator of the other!

Also a chat platform maybe created between the 3 moderators to chat once in a while for moderation purpose!

This would be my first suggestion.

Comments? hate comments, pls?

2nd Suggestion.

We can have a collective moderation with eveyone who is here involved and it could work like craigslist.

everyone allowed one negative vote. so if I make a controversial statement and I get al least 12 down votes...My vote gets automatically removed from the system.

Why 12? cos some of my posts will get 5-7 negatives from some of the people here..so at least 12 and only 1 vote each for 1 post.

This could work automatically.

3rd suggestion.

the Fb forum is taking away the major traffic.

the moderator there intereferes in every post and behaves like the king of a major super power.

We need to promote this forum! I am ready to contribute via a paypal or crowd funding platform for promoting this forum via FB ads or via google ad words and get lot of new travelers to participate. We can go back to glory days here by promotion of this forum.

budget of 750 usd ..will easily promote this forum for a year..via FB ads.

Moderator...pls think about it. It will be great to get new traffic.

BTW i was then one who proposed collective moderation, not Ben - and he responded in this thread that he liked the idea :) give me credit where it is due :)

That said I agree 100% Ben would be a great moderator. (And I have zero interest in being one.)

That said, I worry it may be too late :(

• Moderator must be neutral (Essential Qualification Requirement).
  • The Owner of the site has no stake in the game.
  • The Owner has been 100% neutral behind the scene.
  • The success of BAExpat is the sole motivation of the Owner.
  • For years the Owner had no participation or expressed opinion on any discussion (if he did he will alienate half of the members).
  • Owner`s goal is to keep and maintain ALL members (on all diametrically opposed sides of discussion .. the more argument the better).
  • The Owner is the best neutral moderator.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collective Moderation and some improvements as I understand it:
  • "Report This Post" button when conflict arises between members.
  • Owner may want to publish and periodically update rules and guide lines.
  • Owner may give a reference number when a rule has been violated. (to avoid future violation of the same rule)
  • Owner has the FINAL word.

Dont worry, I will not be abe to remove yr posts alone. Thats why, there would be 3 different moderators from different spectrums of the prism. Only when all 3 says thumbs down..yr posts get deleted.

and the owner moderates the posts of the 3 moderators.

I meant to say: .... Moderator must be PASSIVE. ... (did not mean to say NUETRAL)

Of coarse Owner has his opinion but he does not and did not ACTIVELY express any opinion on any discussion at any time for many years.
It conflicts against his interest, If he expressed opinion he will alienate HALF the members and discussion will die.

Back