The Best Pizza ?? La Vera Pizza/italiana. A Report

Rich One

Registered
Pizza not again .... :D Where is La Vera Pizza? Argie Pizza is looking better??

Well the Italian TV station RAE presented yesterday a special Report on the Quality and Safety of Italian pizza from a research conducted in Napoli, Rome, Florence and Milan places.

Conclusions;

If the bottom of the Pizza has carbonized/ burnt flour it contains deangerous Carcinogenic compounds

No one sprinklesVirginOlive Oil on top of the pizza anymore, but instead Sawflower Oil, sometimes imported . Olive Oil is molto pesante... too heavy?

The Flour used is doppio cero 0-0 which contains to much gluten . Some use Farina Americana?

Pizzerias don't wait enough time for the dough to leviaite? thus the fermentation takes place in the stomach? 3 hours required!

The mozzarella is made sometimes with imported milk ?? from Romania?

The tomato paste concentrate sometimes comes in large drums from China

Many of the fancy tourist places in Piazza Navonna, etc. and in other cities use Frozen Pizzas, reporters were kicked out when investigating.

Many Pseudo Pizzerias have no wood ovens only use microwave and frozen Pizzas/ congelati

Some Pizza Boxes are made with recycled cardboard .. grayish.. that contains contaminants and can migrate to the Pizza if the box is used for delivery and as a plate..!! :eek:

Some ARGENTINA Pizza is made with recycled cardboard .. grayish.. that contains contaminants and can migrate to the Pizza if the box is used for delivery and as a plate..!! :eek:

My bf husband saw that too, but he said the milk comes from Germany.
Anyway, it is true that the pizza eaten in the pizzeria is 90% of the times a cheap thing, since once everything is cooked, the flavors mixes and this is enough to fool the customers.

EVO is more expensive than seed oil, that's the reason behind the change. The tomatoes used for sauce are the ones less good to be eaten raw. The mozzarella cannot be fully appreciated when melt and cooked, so why waste the best milk/mozzarella for pizza?

Some pizzeria do respect raising times, but it means start the job early in the morning for the night pizzas, and prepping the pizza at night for the next lunch.
That's why they use more yeast, to reduce raising times and working shifts.

About this last point, I would like to point out that the original pizza recipe calls for 1-2 gram of brewer's yeast for pizza, whereas argentine pizza calls for 25 grams. Furthermore, the argentine pizza is heavy loaded with that awful queso and multiple stuff that in comparison pepperoni pizza is a delicacy (btw, there is no pepperoni pizza in Italy).

My bf husband saw that too, but he said the milk comes from Germany.
Anyway, it is true that the pizza eaten in the pizzeria is 90% of the times a cheap thing, since once everything is cooked, the flavors mixes and this is enough to fool the customers.

EVO is more expensive than seed oil, that's the reason behind the change. The tomatoes used for sauce are the ones less good to be eaten raw. The mozzarella cannot be fully appreciated when melt and cooked, so why waste the best milk/mozzarella for pizza?

Some pizzeria do respect raising times, but it means start the job early in the morning for the night pizzas, and prepping the pizza at night for the next lunch.
That's why they use more yeast, to reduce raising times and working shifts.

About this last point, I would like to point out that the original pizza recipe calls for 1-2 gram of brewer's yeast for pizza, whereas argentine pizza calls for 25 grams. Furthermore, the argentine pizza is heavy loaded with that awful queso and multiple stuff that in comparison pepperoni pizza is a delicacy (btw, there is no pepperoni pizza in Italy).

Sarasa.. Glad to hear an opinion from a true native!! your comment about the milk origin is correct I thought it was Germany but wasn't sure so I thought Romania added more spice to the Report :D

The pepperoni served here is cantinpalo salamin? they say at Pizza Piola. The price reported for a Pizza in Rome was 7 Euros which is like $140 argies?? Not bad :cool:

I should watch the episode, as well, but it would make me hungry and nostalgic and possibly harmful in any Argentine pizzeria, so I am gonna pass.

The American pepperoni pizza, in Italy is simply "pizza con salame", also because "peperoni" (with one "p") in Italian means "pepper", which is not used in pepperoni pizza, AFAIK.

I had to Google "cantimpalo pizza" because I never heard the first word - it turns out that cantimpalo is a kind of salame made in Spain (and supposedly copied here), so there is no cantimpalo pizza in Italy, either. The choice is usually either "salame" (normal) or "salame piccante" (hot), some pizzerias may offer also "'nduja", which is a kind of pasty hot salame from Calabria (I tried the stuff but I don't do well with hot stuff, it hurts my taste buds so badly!).

Pizza starts at €4,5 in Italy for a margherita (tomato sauce + mozzarella) or a marinara (tomato sauce + oregano), and may reach also €14 if they have expensive toppings such as smoked salmon in combination with other seafood or mushroom or expensive dairy products. The average pizza (let's say with meat + veggies) cost around €7-8. Of course I am talking about suburbs, if you go in touristy places or fancy places you can only know the lower price and never the higher one ;)

When I left it was very popular to order different kind of doughs, such as whole flour, buckwheat, with black rice flour, etc. which may add to the cost. Rarely, some places also offer pizzas in different size (usually: baby, standard, large) and this affect the price, as well.

Also, in the North they usually do the pizza romana, thick crust, but I prefer the one they make in Naples, which is more soft and with a raised crust (not as hard as the romana).

I should watch the episode, as well, but it would make me hungry and nostalgic and possibly harmful in any Argentine pizzeria, so I am gonna pass.

The American pepperoni pizza, in Italy is simply "pizza con salame", also because "peperoni" (with one "p") in Italian means "pepper", which is not used in pepperoni pizza, AFAIK.

I had to Google "cantimpalo pizza" because I never heard the first word - it turns out that cantimpalo is a kind of salame made in Spain (and supposedly copied here), so there is no cantimpalo pizza in Italy, either. The choice is usually either "salame" (normal) or "salame piccante" (hot), some pizzerias may offer also "'nduja", which is a kind of pasty hot salame from Calabria (I tried the stuff but I don't do well with hot stuff, it hurts my taste buds so badly!).

Pizza starts at €4,5 in Italy for a margherita (tomato sauce + mozzarella) or a marinara (tomato sauce + oregano), and may reach also €14 if they have expensive toppings such as smoked salmon in combination with other seafood or mushroom or expensive dairy products. The average pizza (let's say with meat + veggies) cost around €7-8. Of course I am talking about suburbs, if you go in touristy places or fancy places you can only know the lower price and never the higher one ;)

When I left it was very popular to order different kind of doughs, such as whole flour, buckwheat, with black rice flour, etc. which may add to the cost. Rarely, some places also offer pizzas in different size (usually: baby, standard, large) and this affect the price, as well.

Also, in the North they usually do the pizza romana, thick crust, but I prefer the one they make in Naples, which is more soft and with a raised crust (not as hard as the romana).

In the Report they showed some gourmet pizzerias where they served assorted slices of different dough's and toppings . ? My favorite the Pizza Rustica...! from Napoli.

Read this article from the Telegraph...

Italy in uproar as investigation reveals pizza's toxic side

http://www.telegraph...toxic-side.html

pizza_2548604b.jpg

I had to look up for the pizza rustica (parigina), and it turns out it was my favorite snack when I was in first grade. I used to buy it at the bread store in front of my house, but I never knew it had a name. I called that "pizza ripiena" and it was so yummy! It is odd they sold it because we were in the north. I never saw it sold in a pizzeria, though.

The kind of pizza sold in bread stores is the Sicilian pizza, which is somewhat similar to the Argentinian pizza: tick, heavy and heavy loaded. It is sold in squares or slices, and often serves as a school snack.

Back