The Best Reason Now To Be An Expat In Argentina...

Although it really is too soon to know just how devesating (or beneficial) the impact of the ACA will be, there are some eye-opening statistics that reveal how eager Americans are to sign up...or not: http://www.forbes.co...-cancellations/
Ah, yes, we can really conclude on statistics now that the Affordable Health Care has been operating for six years.
Six weeks, do you say, and the website is very difficult to use? how then can any kind of reliable statistics exist?

In an explosive accusation, the House Oversight Committee chairman Darrell Issa (R-California) today charged President Obama with “using all the resources at his disposal to make the Affordable Care Act work.” “This is a conspiracy, if you will, that goes all the way to the top,”

http://www.newyorker...e-act-work.html

Of course this is an attempt at humor, satire. The author, Borowitz is a comedian, satirist. You do know this. Don't you?

Of course this is an attempt at humor, satire. The author, Borowitz is a comedian, satirist. You do know this. Don't you?
Of course I do, I get his satirical newsletter every day - but some of his coloumns are very close to reality, like this one where opponents of the Affordable Care Act go completely berserk over it, fearing that it succeeds.

The problem with most of the discussions about the ACA is that people are so emotionally polarized so we can't get any real conversation going. It's like talking about gun control. Me and many of my friends are passionate gun owners. I (me) can't even have a conversation with them about responsible gun ownership that involves anything like licensing, training, etc (even as a trade-off to open carry rights) because it means the "gob'ment is gonna take away my guns." Really? wtf?

It's the same thing with the ACA. First, the healthcare system in the US is really screwed up. The insurance companies / lawyers / lobbyist system we have ensures that the primary beneficiaries of the system are the insurance companies / lawyers / and lobbyists - not the citizens who need access to health care. The ones who are most vulnerable (poor and sick) get marginal care, if any. That's not right. There is no social justice in that system.

Many members of my family are right-wing conservative. The moment you mention social justice and taking care of the poor they start yelling and spitting, "All the poor want to do is to sit on their a$$ and collect welfare! I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay for their f*cking healthcare!" (these are real conversations that I'm quoting). Nevermind the fact that most of them are self-professed Christians who find it convenient to ignore one of the most fundamental tenets of both the Old and New Testament; taking care of the poor and less fortunate.

Given that, I don't think that the systemic problems we have with healthcare is going to get fixed from within the system. The system is designed to protect itself. Do you think the politicians who are elected using lobbyists money are going to vote against their constituents, or that the insurance companies are suddenly going to grow a conscience and decide that all those profits should be redirected to the "less-fortunate?"

I'm a strong supporter of less federal government. We should be moving back to the Federalist system with stronger state rights and responsibilities. I like the state-based marketplace idea of the ACA - at least as a start.

It's the same thing with the ACA. First, the healthcare system in the US is really screwed up. The insurance companies / lawyers / lobbyist system we have ensures that the primary beneficiaries of the system are the insurance companies / lawyers / and lobbyists - not the citizens who need access to health care. The ones who are most vulnerable (poor and sick) get marginal care, if any. That's not right. There is no social justice in that system.

Agreed, but why is that the the Federal's government job to address this issue, instead of the individual/local community? Where in the Constitution is it stated that it is the job or responsibility of the Federal government to solve this issue?

Many members of my family are right-wing conservative. The moment you mention social justice and taking care of the poor they start yelling and spitting, "All the poor want to do is to sit on their a$$ and collect welfare! I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay for their f*cking healthcare!" (these are real conversations that I'm quoting). Nevermind the fact that most of them are self-professed Christians who find it convenient to ignore one of the most fundamental tenets of both the Old and New Testament; taking care of the poor and less fortunate.

I think it is very "conservative" to be charitable, compassionate and to offer a helping hand whenever possible. My issue is when people want "compassion" to happen forcefully under the gun of the Federal government.

The ACA is turning into such a disaster, that many Democrats are beginning to jump ship.

Bill Clinton Just Undercut Obama’s Health Plan

With former President Bill Clinton now urging President Obama to find a way to make good on his promise that Americans could keep their current health insurance plans if they like them, it may only be a matter of time before the administration is forced to make wholesale changes in the beleaguered Affordable Care Actto placate restless Democrats fearful of a growing voter backlash.

Back