The Good Food in BA Thread

tangobob said:
No in BsAS

Whew... I thought you'd lost it! ;)
I agree the Italian food here isn't particularly special. One Italian I've been to three times & it was good every time (difficult here) is Sottovoce.

Ryoga said:
pandulf.ironhead said:
For meat:
I've eaten at a LOT of different steakhouses. While Cabrera in Palermo is good, it's packed and there's a line around the corner most nights.

>this is because its in the lonely planet, not because its the best. step away from the herd.

Des Nivel: unreal value and great meat (only get meat the sides are crap)

la Brigada: the staff are assholes and they will try to rip you off
i like the wild boar sausage, chicken with spicy tomato sauce, lomo with pepper sauce, papas provenzal, rucula salad

Parillia Del Plata: a really nice place with great staff. lots of locals and only a few pesos more than Des Nivel

el Historico: great meddalions of lomo with pepper sauce and a nice chicken with red pepper sauce dish

check out:
habibi
cafe san juan
hong kong style
kansas
tandoor
bereber

astrid & gaston: heaven
sipan: only the fish and salditos
osaka: only the fish dishes

I from California, so i know not to expect the same level of produce and asian/mexican food. So I really don't understand why this NYC guy thinks this is a sushi town... when in rome stick with beef and peruvian

I avoided going to Cabrera for a long time because lots of people said it was touristy. We finally went and it was excellent. Certainly not as touristy as people say. There was a good mix of locals & foreigners. Certainly not the bum bag brigade.

Desnivel is also in all the tourist guides and packed to the gills with tourists on the weekend, which is why I haven't been there yet. But you are not exactly that far from the herd now are you. ;)

Tandoor was extremely disappointing. The dishes were rather bland. I understand they are catering to the local taste but what we had was just too bland for an Indian. The naan was really good though. I'd like to try Bengal but it seem too expensive for me.

malbec said:
Ask anyone abroad where they would like to go for some good food and the last country they would probably name would be the USA.

--------------------------------------------
When I read posts like this one I can't understand that some people from the USA wonder why so many around the World dislike them... :rolleyes:

lay off the paco my friend. LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, and Miami hold there own globally

i know they teach you anti-americanism and revisionist history in the left-wing schools here, but the facts are the facts..

mini said:
I avoided going to Cabrera for a long time because lots of people said it was touristy. We finally went and it was excellent. Certainly not as touristy as people say. There was a good mix of locals & foreigners. Certainly not the bum bag brigade.

Desnivel is also in all the tourist guides and packed to the gills with tourists on the weekend, which is why I haven't been there yet. But you are not exactly that far from the herd now are you. ;)

Tandoor was extremely disappointing. The dishes were rather bland. I understand they are catering to the local taste but what we had was just too bland for an Indian. The naan was really good though. I'd like to try Bengal but it seem too expensive for me.

i dont read LP, so i went based on word of mouth. plus i only have take out there because i dont like to sweat while eating.

Tandoor come on, the food was very flavorful and wish granted the seal of approval by my foodie Indian friends. maybe we got the brown hook up

Ryoga said:
i dont read LP, so i went based on word of mouth. plus i only have take out there because i dont like to sweat while eating.
I don't read LP either. Your point? If you don't know it's in a guide book it's Ok? ;)
Tandoor come on, the food was very flavorful and wish granted the seal of approval by my foodie Indian friends. maybe we got the brown hook up

You definitely got the 'brown hook up'. If your friends go again, I'll go with them.

Had lunch at Jangada yesterday with a couple of ex-pats and we had the Pacu. My first time for both the restuarant and Pacu. Impressed with both. As has been said, you get a lot of fish. There were three of us and we couldn't quite finish it off - Although we did manage to finish off the two bottles of wine we complimented the fish with.

Clearly the restuarant is popular with the local business community as it was packed all lunch time.

Just a passing comment on the criticism of food from varying countries. Coming from Ireland we are not often complimented on our cuisine, although that is improving, so I am teh last one to throw brick-bats. Having travelled extensively in the US, it is fair to say that there is an awful lot of bland, processed, fat-filling junk, but, I have had some fantastic food in restuarants in NYC, Vegas and California, so it does depend on where you go - generalism's are always dangerous.

I would concur that on the whole, the Argentine palate prefers salt rather than spice, and many restaurants naturally cater for their home market. As in Ireland, the US, anywhere really, there are good and bad. Most of what I have eaten here so far has been OK - And the Pacu was delightful, I will try out some of the other recommendations over time...

arty said:
Where did you eat at diners like ihop and denny's?

Las Vegas has some of the best restaurants around and Chicago, NYC, San Fransisco and finally L.A. have some amazing restaurants. My friend in Los Angeles won a James Beard award in 2007

http://www.jbfawards.com/

I always laugh when people say American food suck. The same can be said for most places if you are uninformed. Next time do yourself a favor and pick up a Zagat's guide.

Feel free to scan this list and see the restaurants in the USA that won Michelin awards

http://www.worldpress.org/americas/2090.cfm

I can only assume you are not a foodie, so perhaps these awards are over your head.

I didn't say American food sucks, if you read what I said it was to the effect that my opinion is my own and because I do not like it , does not mean it is rubbish.

As for the awards; An American giving food awards to Americans?
There is a saying in the UK: "Self praise is no recomendation"

tangobob said:
I didn't say American food sucks, if you read what I said it was to the effect that my opinion is my own and because I do not like it , does not mean it is rubbish.

As for the awards; An American giving food awards to Americans?
There is a saying in the UK: "Self praise is no recomendation"

The example of the Beard award was to point out quality resturants in America. I don't expect a British or Canadian award to come to America to pick out the top America places, but the Michelin award is international and very prestigious.

Can you please tell us what fine establishments you dined during your visit to the states? I really hope it was more than Applebee's and TGIFridays.

So When a UK food award people lists top UK resturants we should ignore it since "Self praise is no recomendation".....

btw, the Michelin guide is from France

arty said:
The example of the Beard award was to point out quality resturants in America. I don't expect a British or Canadian award to come to America to pick out the top America places, but the Michelin award is international and very prestigious.

Can you please tell us what fine establishments you dined during your visit to the states? I really hope it was more than Applebee's and TGIFridays.

So When a UK food award people lists top UK resturants we should ignore it since "Self praise is no recomendation".....

btw, the Michelin guide is from France

The Michelin guide is from France, then that is not self praise, is it?

Back