The Guardian: "Time to challenge Argentina’s white European self-image, black history experts say"

Wh

why do you call Argentina’s sense of whiteness delusional? This place seems whiter than rice.

How? Where? Easily 20-30% of the population is visibly mixed race and this gets higher outside of developed areas

Reactions: Moe
Personally, I have never seen an African negro in Argentina. What the locals call negros de mierda are those with mixed native blood.

Negro (not the mierda) has become synonymous with "villero". Those who live in a villa Miseria are all negros, by definition.

Argentina has a generous open-border policy: all immigrants are welcome, and are automatically entitled to State benefits. They get free schooling, free hospitals, government subsidies, etc. As a result, the country has been flooded by a stream of Peruvians, Bolivians, Chileans, and Paraguayans in search of a better life. Incidentally, Villa 31 is 56% Paraguayan, and the Bajo de Flores villa has become a Peruvian fiefdom. Uruguay,by the way, accepts practically no immigrants.

Perhaps I do move in enlightened circles - must be my good luck. Hope it holds.

Actually Uruguay has the exact same migration policy for MERCOSUR member and associate countries that Argentina does. A free, indefinitely renewable 2 year long residency visa with full work rights. It also has all of the same free public services for immigrants. It's just a much harder place to find a job in and has a much higher cost of living so it's not as attractive of a destination for poor immigrants.

Argentina is old school White in the upper tiers - which is obviously not good and needs to change. But the last thing Argentina needs is the cancer of Wokeness - which is the definition of a society/culture eating itself. Its certainly not about equality.

Actually Uruguay has the exact same migration policy for MERCOSUR member and associate countries that Argentina does. A free, indefinitely renewable 2 year long residency visa with full work rights. It also has all of the same free public services for immigrants. It's just a much harder place to find a job in and has a much higher cost of living so it's not as attractive of a destination for poor immigrants.
True. But government subsidies are not for immigrants, and health benefits are through "mutualistas", only for those employed or willing to pay for it.

I don't know why this is a constant concern of some you. Argentina fully lived out the Spenglerlian "Decline of the West" in less than 150 years...it's something to be studied from that angle alone. One day when i feel academic enough i'll get to it. But you have epic springtime western architecture and totally unique customs spring up and then just DIE a little over a century apart. It's the perfect example of civilizational decline on an accelerated pace. There is nothing else to force interpret like this academic with the black obsession. this is full on civilizational collapse on a small level. enjoy that cumbia..lots in common with that tango orchestra from 80 years prior right?

Despite a couple unique cultural elements, such as tango, wouldn't you agree that Argentina is merely a peripheral outpost of European civilization, like Australia, and therefore its collapse is part of the general collapse of European civilization?

you can certainly also make the point that the woke, PC culture especially in the UK and US has gone too far.
Woke culture is winning status for its acolytes so how can you say its gone too far? It has momentum and should continue pushing for more.

Despite a couple unique cultural elements, such as tango, wouldn't you agree that Argentina is merely a peripheral outpost of European civilization, like Australia, and therefore its collapse is part of the general collapse of European civilization?

Good question, and I had to sit on it for a bit.

Down the list, I'd say more than a couple unique cultural elements exist, and they all had overlapping influence over other cultural elements. The gaucho (gil), the economic and logistical isolation, the "potencia mundial" failure complex, the "viveza" mentality previously discussed in a recent thread, the yerba mate, the fear of spices, the false sole proprietorship of dulce de leche, the (disputed) southernmost point on earth excluding Antarctica (but also including a very significant portion of Antarctica) and other diverse landscapes just hours of perilous off-roading away, the elitist B movies, the stamina of marathon queuing, the self-awarded PhD in economics, discussing the evils of Big Oil and Big Carrefour while padding the mattress with chica grande Franklins from the imperial US that stole their prosperity somehow.....

A peripheral outpost to me means something like Chinatown, or Little Mogadishu, not Argentina nor the portenios (nor the Aussies). Maybe if "New Mediterranea" surfaces somewhere, we have a peripheral outpost.

And the collapse...well...the boom and bust happened really quickly. I think the general and irreparable collapse of Argentina happened at a pace that did not coincide with the decline or collapse of the rest of the west, which, we can agree, is in progress.

How? Where? Easily 20-30% of the population is visibly mixed race and this gets higher outside of developed areas

From Fiscal's posts, he lives in the province of Santa Fe. That area had lots of immigration of Ukrainian Jews, very white skin color.

It all depends on the province. If you go to Jujuy, most of the population has indigenous features. I'd say Argentina is much whiter, maybe the whitest, however we want to define that, than most of the countries in the Americas.

From Fiscal's posts, he lives in the province of Santa Fe. That area had lots of immigration of Ukrainian Jews, very white skin color.

It all depends on the province. If you go to Jujuy, most of the population has indigenous features. I'd say Argentina is much whiter, maybe the whitest, however we want to define that, than most of the countries in the Americas.
Argentina is DOMINATED by caucasian people of European descent.

I have no idea what the percentage is, but it is high and the composition of this group of people is probably more than any other country in North or South America. (I haven't been to every country in The Americas, but of the ones I have been to, I am basing my opinion on.)

Back