The infamous CUIL

Cassiem13-

I went through the process to get the work visa about 2 months ago and you need your original birth certificate that is apostilled by your state. They won't accept a copy. Steve's description of the apostille is very accurate. The FBI background check is another must and what JHB said is all true. I did it here and it took about 6 weeks before I got it back. It doesn't need an apostille letter.

Aside from all that, in order to apply for the work visa you must have your birth certificate, the apostille form and your FBI background check translated by an official translator (it comes with a stamp and a letter). You also need your passport (no need to translate) with a valid visa (tourist is fine), a police report from Buenos Aires, and a contract from your company. Your company also has to register you at immigration as a foreign employee. The cost of the visa is 600 pesos.

From my understanding you need the work visa to get your CUIL. I received mine after filing for my work visa and when I go back to immigration in a week I'll get my DNI. I've heard rumors about a CUIL with a tourist visa, but couldn't find any recent information. It might no longer be an option.

The whole process does sound like a big pain, but once you have all the paperwork done you can make an appointment and it should be pretty quick, if you have everything taken care of.

Anyway, it sounds like your employer isn't planning on doing this with you, but it might be a good idea to get the documents mentioned above anyway. You never know when you could find another job that is willing to do the visa, and you may need them for the student visa later.

Trust me, jumping through the hoops for the work visa is worth it now that I don't have to worry about renewing my tourist visa every 3 months.

Hope this helps!

Are the apostille and FBI background reports things that I can get while I'm in the US and bring them to Argentina, or do they need to be sent directly from agency to agency? I'm planning an extended trip to Uruguay and Argentina in February and would love to arrive with all the tools to be able to find work if I wanted to.

ljwander said:
Are the apostille and FBI background reports things that I can get while I'm in the US and bring them to Argentina, or do they need to be sent directly from agency to agency? I'm planning an extended trip to Uruguay and Argentina in February and would love to arrive with all the tools to be able to find work if I wanted to.

You can get the background check before you arrive but make sure that it is recent (I think within 3 to 6 months) and I would get it translated down here. They expect you to hand carry all the required documentation.

You will save a lot of waiting time as the postal service can be a little slow here. Once you have the original birth certificate, Apostille and FBI background check, you should not need anything else from the USA.

I am trying to remember if I had to get the address verification done for my immigration? Has anyone else had this done? (You go to the local police station where you live and give them your address and pay a fee. In a few days someone will come by to verify you live there because you have to wait for them to show up and give you the completed form.)

ljwander said:

Yes! Bring everything with you!

I was required by migraciones to provide a post 2000 certified copy of my birth certificate which I ordered online from the Secretary of State in which I was born. I also received the Apostille from the Secretary of State for the birth certificate as well. The "apostille" is not a separate item but an internationally recognized "certification" of the individual public (notarized) documents. You never "send" anything to migraciones here. You will present the originals in person (with the seal of the Apostille as required) that have been translated and legalized here (an easy process).

I've been informed that the FBI report doesn't require the seal of the Apostille. Instead of an FBI report I used a letter from my home town police department that did have the Apostille, but that was in 2006 and I believe that migraciones now only accepts the FBI report.

Keep in mind that the FBI report will have a date of issue and migraciones might not accept it after a period of time (perhaps six months?) If you leave the country or return to the US before you are actually issued a work visa in Argentina, migraciones may ask for a new report.

JHB1216 said:
I am trying to remember if I had to get the address verification done for my immigration? Has anyone else had this done? (You go to the local police station where you live and give them your address and pay a fee. In a few days someone will come by to verify you live there because you have to wait for them to show up and give you the completed form.)

This is the certificado de domicilio. Yes, you pay 10 pesos at the nearest comisaria (police station) and they usually come the next day to give you the certificate. In theory you are supposed to have some type of bill or lease with your name and the address to show that you are living there, but the officer taking your ten pesos will probably just ask for your direccion, so be prepared to answer in castellano.

Planning to renew my DNI with a new address in the near future, I paid for one on Monday (of this week) and it was delivered on Tuesday morning (though they told me it could take three days). I answered the intercom and by the time I got to the door, the officer was already gone and had just stuck the certificate in the ironwork.

One way to get a factura (bill) in your name might be to purchase a book at a Cuspide Libros bookstore using a credit card and enroll in their "preferred customer" program. I believe that the factura will show your passport number as well as the (temporary) address you give them. It isn't really "official" but the police don't really care, either.

Katie said:
You also need your passport (no need to translate)

Great post, but just a comment. If you passport (the picture page) does not have the information in Spanish (mine doesn't) then you DO need to get it translated.

JHB1216 said:
I am trying to remember if I had to get the address verification done for my immigration? Has anyone else had this done?

I did not need this for immigrations nor for getting the CUIL. I will need it for my turno to get my DNI.

Good point, Mini. I was only thinking my U.S. passport that does have Spanish. For the record, I stupidly DID get my passport translated because the first translator I went to scammed me and told me that it was required:mad:.

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the help! Turns out I misunderstood... I will be getting my CUIT, and then working as an independent contractor for them. It's a good thing anyway, as I'm a graphic designer and should be legal for my freelance work.

In any case, they're still sticking to the photocopy of my birth certificate (instead of the real, apostillized one) and that I need a background check, although they're saying it can be from my state—that it doesn't have to be federal. Is it even possible for me to get a state criminal report from out of the country (in the US)?

Also, another trainee mentioned that with the CUIT we're entitled to certain benefits, like insurance, etc., from the government. I thought they had free public health care for foreigners and citizens alike...

Finally, is it legal for me to work with a CUIT on a tourist visa? I know I can't get a work visa unless I have a contract with a company, but do I need to look into getting some sort of temporary residency? Would that even be possible for me?

Thanks again soooo much!

For the requirements on how to enter and stay in Argentina, you may see the Investor Assistance Center of the Gobierno de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, at http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...ersiones_extranjeras/permanecer_argentina.php. All your visa and documentation questions should be answered there.
For information on obtaining your CUIT, you may see the AFIP's page at http://www.afip.gob.ar/genericos/guiaDeTramites/categoria_list_detail.aspx?id_padre=2. This one's in Spanish but if you're unsure of what it says you can use Google's web page translation tools.
As a general rule, AFIP will issue a CUIT only to foreigners that have a valid working visa. As an exception, it will grant a CUIT to non resident foreigners that are directors of local companies.

Back