The infamous CUIL

If your birth certificate is in good condition and has the seal of the apostille it should be acceptable. Yes, it must be translated and legalized in Argentina (if you are presenting your docs to migraciones here).

Newer US passports include English, French, and Spanish (givenname/prenom/nombre for example). If yours has it there's no need to translate. Don't worry about the text in English.

IIRC they will keep the documents you submit. Personally, I wouldn never give my original issued at birth. I would request an official copy.

For migraciones purposes a birth certificate MUST have an apostille which is a separate document that would be attached to the oficial copy or original documents that is being "apostilled". An original birth certificate would not have an apostille all by itself. The only safe means to do this is to get an official copy of your birth certificate and send that to be apostilled. Do not do this with your original birth certificate, keep that apart. Migraciones does not keep your birth certificate. It is one of the items that will be returned to you after all of the paperwork is processed and copies will be left in your Migraciones file. However if you get your DNI, they WILL keep the birth certificate permanently. For that reason it is essential that you do all of these trámites with an official copy that has been apostilled and translated. One the Registro National de las Personas, (who emits the DNI) has the birth certificate in your permanent file, if you ever need a copy for any reason you can request an official copy from them. Hope this helps.

I'm still slightly confused about the Apostille on my birth certificate. Does the Apostille need to come from the states (I'm in the USA now), or would it be possible to bring the certified birth certificate down to Argentina and get it Apostilled there?

Thanks!

It must be apostilled there. Think of an apostile as an internationally-recognized notary. You have to get it done in the States to signify that it's official from there.

My birth certificate already has a seal on it that reads: "This is a true-certified copy of the record filed in the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services if it bears this seal in purple ink."

Why would you need a separate apostille that you attach certifying what is already certified on the copy itself? Does anyone else have experience with this? Has anyone supplied their birth certificate alone with the translation from a public translator in Argentina (and no separate apostille)?

To order a new certified copy from the state in which you were born, you must fill out a form and mail it in with a $14 check (for each copy requested). To speed up the process, you may contact the office of the County Recorder.

Here's California's application for certified copy of birth record:
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/4-2008%20Application-Birth-April.%20(Fran).pdf

David - I differ with you on one point: as long as you can get a certified copy in the mail for $14, there is no reason not to take the "original" birth certificate with you to Argentina, even if Migraciones keeps it for a while or permanently. When I am there, I will ask to keep the originals (I'll bring a copy of all my files for this purpose) and see what response I receive.

tinto said:
Why would you need a separate apostille that you attach certifying what is already certified on the copy itself? Does anyone else have experience with this? Has anyone supplied their birth certificate alone with the translation from a public translator in Argentina (and no separate apostille)?

The apostille is the authentication of documents for international use. It is required by law and the birth certificate will not be accepted by Argentine migraciones without it.

tinto said:
...as long as you can get a certified copy in the mail for $14, there is no reason not to take the "original" birth certificate with you to Argentina, even if Migraciones keeps it for a while or permanently. When I am there, I will ask to keep the originals (I'll bring a copy of all my files for this purpose) and see what response I receive.

The certified copy is preferred by migraciones. Three years ago they asked for one after seeing my original (which was still in good condition but almost as old as me). I actually requested two from my secretary of state and had both receive the seal of the apostille and then had them translated and legalized in Argentina. The I was told that if I submitted legalized copies of them (made by an escribano here) that I could keep the originals. They were accepted without comment.

This is what an apostille looks like

Italian%20Apostille.jpg

Apostille is a French word which means a certification. It is commonly used in English to refer to the legalization of a document for international use under the terms of the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. Documents which have been notarized by a notary public, and certain other documents, and then certified with an apostille are accepted for legal use in all the nations that have signed the Hague Convention. As both the US and Argentina have signed that convention, you will need this (instead of a consular certification) for your documents issued in the US to be valid in Argentina.

tinto said:
My birth certificate already has a seal on it that reads: "This is a true-certified copy of the record filed in the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services if it bears this seal in purple ink."

To order a new certified copy from the state in which you were born, you must fill out a form and mail it in with a $14 check (for each copy requested). To speed up the process, you may contact the office of the County Recorder.

Here's California's application for certified copy of birth record:
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/4-2008%20Application-Birth-April.%20(Fran).pdf

David - I differ with you on one point: as long as you can get a certified copy in the mail for $14, there is no reason not to take the "original" birth certificate with you to Argentina, even if Migraciones keeps it for a while or permanently. When I am there, I will ask to keep the originals (I'll bring a copy of all my files for this purpose) and see what response I receive.

Yes, an original recently issued copy is fine. But I not the original issued to you on the date you were born, mostly for sentimental reasons more than anything. I'm not sure if they accept documents over x months/years old? David seems to have gone home with his originals, we were not so lucky. Immigrations keep ours.

As was said above, you documents will not be accepted without being "apostilized". Without this certification a foreign country can not be sure whether or not your documents are real or fakes? How many different versions of birth certificates are in existence? I couldn't even imagine.

Does the apostille have to be done in the state that the birth certificate is from? i.e. I was born in CA, but now reside in NV...can I have the apostille come from the NV Secretary of State for my birth cert that was issued in CA? Also, just to clariy, there is no need to get it notarized in addition to apostilled, correct?

Back