The infamous CUIL

If the NV SecState doesn't have a problem with issuing that apostile, it doesn't matter to the authorities in BS where it is apostiled. The apostile is just saying "yes, I say that this is an official document and was not just made up by someone."

As far needing a notary for tramites here, it absolutely does not need a notary; in fact, notaries are not recognized here because that is a nationally-licensed function and has no international standing.

The only thing I could see needing a notary for is if the apostiler in the States for some reason needs a notary before he/she sees it to approve it, but I doubt that very much.

You just have to ask the entity that is doing the apostile what it needs to apostile a birth certificate, that is to feel comfortable that what they are verifying is indeed an official document. I'm sure that the seal on the birth certificate itself is probably going to be good enough for someone in the States.

Actually, some of the "documents" I presented to migraciones were simply notarized letters "certifying" the source of my US income as well as my criminal background check from the hometown police department. Though the latter is no longer accepted by migraciones, it is possible to have any document that has been notarized in the US receive the seal of the Apostille. I recently had an officer from the US bank that receives the monthly checks from my "investment bank" for deposits write a (notarized) letter that verified the source of income and my ability to access the funds using ATM's in Argentina. It received the seal of the Apostille in the US and I had it translated and legalized here. Argentine migraciones accepted it without comment. A letter from a CPA would also probably work, but I don't use one.

allforepar said:
Does the apostille have to be done in the state that the birth certificate is from?

I'm not sure what immigration authorities require. I have had difficulties when registering foreign companies if the documents were issued in one place and the apostille was from another.

You can see the page "What is an Apostille", from the US Department of state at http://travel.state.gov/law/info/judicial/judicial_2545.html

There you'll find information on what kind of documents you can have apostilled and the competent authorities to do so.

This post is a big FYI based on my experience this week getting a certified copy of my birth certificate, getting it apostilled, and the FBI background check.

BIRTH CERTIFICATE: I was able to walk into a local Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Office and pick up a certified copy of my birth certificate on the spot. The cost was $17 (per copy). All I needed to present was my ID and fill out the form which required the basic information from my birth certificate: city, father's full name, mother full (maiden) name, and date of birth. The benefits to requesting the document in person are that you don't need to notarize anything---the application is filled out in-person at the office and signed in the presence of the cashier---and you don't have to wait weeks for your document to arrive in the mail! Check the website of your local Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Office for details.

APOSTILLE: If you go with a private apostille agency that is not the Secretary of State, it is both costly ($145-400 dollars for a single document!) and could be a scam. The Secretary of State of California has regional offices where you can drop off your document in person and pay the $20 fee plus $6 in handling. Again, check the website for more info, as things could vary by state.

FBI BACKGROUND CHECK: All the forms can be found online (cover letter, credit card form). It might be best to get your fingerprints done at a local police station rather than at a fingerprinting/notary company that could do a lousy job and charge more. When you mail in your documents to the FBI, you can write your deadline and reason on the outer envelope and hope that they take note. The regular processing times, per their website, are very slow.

Hope this clarifies some of the issues brought up in previous posts. I had a hell of a time getting all the information necessary!

To add to the great post above:

I used an online service (vitalcheck.com) to order my birth certificate since I don't live close by. It only added a $6 processing fee, but obviously mailing time, as well. The processing time for mail orders is supposed to be 3-5 days, but varies depending on the office. You have to fax in a notarized authorization also. My local bank offers notary services for free if you are customer...you may want to check with yours. Optional $20 for Fedex/UPS, which supposedly speeds up the processing time, as well.

The apostille does need to be done by the secretary of state in which the birth certificate is from. i.e. I can't take my CA birth cert to the NV SOS to be apostilled.

I got my fingerprints done at the local police department, and it cost $10. They actually did 2 sets for me and said that it's better to send in 2 just in case there is a smudge or something on one, which could really delay things. The FBI charges $18 for their report.

Well, I know this thread has now gone from the CUIL to the CUIT to a working visa to the apostille :) but I just thought I'd update that I did just get my CUIT!! Yes, I got it on a tourist visa. That's the benefit of living within the Constitución AFIP office's jurisdiction, I guess! That office supposedly is really loose with the law... I just got my certificado de domicilio (they didn't even pretend to knock on the door, ha! just slipped it under the door), then I went down to AFIP, filled out a form, and voila! Then they gave me very detailed instructions for the next step, to do online, and I got assigned my "categoría", that says how much I pay in taxes per month (which supposedly not all locals do... I think I will, though). I am now in the process of getting a book of "facturas" so I can bill my employer legally, they can pay me legally, but NOTE: I am still not WORKING legally. Ooooh, crazy Argentina.

ElQueso said:
If the NV SecState doesn't have a problem with issuing that apostile, it doesn't matter to the authorities in BS where it is apostiled. The apostile is just saying "yes, I say that this is an official document and was not just made up by someone."

As far needing a notary for tramites here, it absolutely does not need a notary; in fact, notaries are not recognized here because that is a nationally-licensed function and has no international standing.

The only thing I could see needing a notary for is if the apostiler in the States for some reason needs a notary before he/she sees it to approve it, but I doubt that very much.

You just have to ask the entity that is doing the apostile what it needs to apostile a birth certificate, that is to feel comfortable that what they are verifying is indeed an official document. I'm sure that the seal on the birth certificate itself is probably going to be good enough for someone in the States.

Any document that has been "notarized" in the US can receive the Apostille. Remember, the full title of the individual who notarizes a document is notary public. The seal of the Apostille can be applied to any public document, even if it is just a letter from a lawyer, CPA, or bank officer (as well as to an official document issued by a government agency). If a letter from a bank, attorney, or accountant is not notarized, it will not receive the seal of the Apostille.

In 2006 I had two certified copies of my birth certificate (ordered on line from the Illinois Secretary of State) as well as the letters from an attorney and bank officer that I used to get my visa rentista Apostilled in Illinois as that was the state where they originated. Last year I obtained an "official copy of a public record" for my divorce which was granted in Utah and had it Apostilled there (ordered on line through the Utah Secretary of State and paid with credit card through Verisign, then sent to me via UPS when I was in California).

Back