The worst pizza in the world?

mini said:
I'm not getting from your description of where it is, but could it be Valenti? http://www.valenti.com.ar/ Valenti has a very good selection. They even have imported grana for the price of a small car! ;)
Yes you are right, I vent there and to my disappointment it was a Valenti store on Vuelta de Obligado 1820. The selection is very good they even have a domestic (argie) cheese aged for over 2 years, (and no it is not just old argie cheese like in the supermercado where they keep printing new labels with new expiration dates) it is actually aged under the right circumstances and is quite strong in taste. The down side like you pointed out is the prices and they are ridiculous on the imports but also on the domestics. So I am sure all these domestic cheeses can be found for a quarter of the price somewhere else in town.

malbec said:
If the food is that bad everywhere in Argentina...why not opening a restaurant and show those brutos argentinos what is good food and how to prepare it consistently?
After all, if the food is that much better than that found at local restaurants, the business will be a gold mine.
Nobody said food is bad everywhere in Argentina only in Buenos Aires and most other parts. There would be too many problems for an expat to open a restaurant in Buenos Aires, The minute an expat opens a resturant here there is a line of Argies(including employees)wanting bribes and trying to rob the place, then there is a problem getting any Argie employees to come to work and if they come to work they do an inconsistent job if they do anything at all, and then you can't fire them because of ridiculous laws, and if your lucky enough to fire someone they will turn around and sue you, and if you are going to run your restaurant in BLANCO there will be no profit left after paying all the government taxes and fees.There would also be a big problem locating fresh ingredients and then you would get screwed by the wholesalers of those for sure. And on top of that the Argentinian mentality is that the food here is so good so why try something new, the argies are happy with their low quality crappy food, just read this forum.

I find it amazing still the troubles people have to go to get good quality cheeses, breads, fruits and vegetables , spices and many many other food products. it seems that you have to literally spend hours looking for these products going from barrio to barrio for the eternal quest of a good product at a reasonable price.

I believe that a central market of high standard with reasonable prices should be a high priority of the governments local and national . A city of this size Buenos Aires greatly needs this.

Nobody said food is bad everywhere in Argentina only in Buenos Aires and most other parts. There would be too many problems for an expat to open a restaurant in Buenos Aires, The minute an expat opens a resturant here there is a line of Argies(including employees)wanting bribes and trying to rob the place, then there is a problem getting any Argie employees to come to work and if they come to work they do an inconsistent job if they do anything at all, and then you can't fire them because of ridiculous laws, and if your lucky enough to fire someone they will turn around and sue you, and if you are going to run your restaurant in BLANCO there will be no profit left after paying all the government taxes and fees.There would also be a big problem locating fresh ingredients and then you would get screwed by the wholesalers of those for sure.

Wow! With all those problems I can only praise the local restaurant owners who make a living out of their businesses. They must be among the most skilled managers in the World!

And on top of that the Argentinian mentality is that the food here is so good so why try something new, the argies are happy with their low quality crappy food, just read this forum.

Or probably you are happy with your high quality food so why try something new :D

Quentin.Daniels said:
Nobody said food is bad everywhere in Argentina only in Buenos Aires and most other parts. There would be too many problems for an expat to open a restaurant in Buenos Aires, \

No only that, but I'm not a restauranteur, I'm not a chef, I'm not a baker*, I'm not a waiter nor a barman. I'm a customer. THEY are the professionals.

*although I make a pretty good brownie & some fab blueberry bread! ;D

malbec said:
Wow! With all those problems I can only praise the local restaurant owners who make a living out of their businesses. They must be among the most skilled managers in the World!

Right. Except that they are locals & know the in's & out's of the system. Of course, as I say in my post above: They are the professionals in this field I am not. They should know how to be consistent with the quality of their businesses.

malbec said:
Yes they are very skilled at deceiving your people and your government, Most restaurants in Buenos Aires uses workers in NEGRO, they usually have some Argies working in blanco but in the back there is very often illegal immigrants doing all the hard work in NEGRO for a shitty salary only being able to feed their family from rotten leftovers. The Argies treat these poor immigrants worse than dogs, I have seen it too many times. And do I need to explain why most restaurants only accepts cash and most of the times don't give you a receipt? It is sad to see this beautiful country full of opportunity getting screwed over by racism, dishonesty, laziness and greed.

It is sad to see this beautiful country full of opportunity getting screwed over by racism, dishonesty, laziness and greed.

You are an inmigrant and as long as you live there, it is your home. Do something to change things!

malbec said:
Or probably you are happy with your high quality food so why try something new :D
I don't really understand this? but I do try at least one new restaurant in Buenos Aires every day and are very happy the few times i find quality food.

Apparently you all haven't been to Kentucky's over towards Plaza Italia. HOLY MOLY that pizza is AWESOME!! And I agree with you all in regards to food quality standards in supermarkets. The fresher veges/fruits tend to be found at the smaller corner stores. Not only that, but they're cheaper!! (as if things couldn't get any cheaper down here as it is).

Back