The worst pizza in the world?

But I'm not comparing Buenos Aires to the US - I'm comparing it to large cities all over the world.

In any large city (NY, London, Beijing, Paris, Sydney, Sao Paolo, etc) - you have *a lot* more options for food and in general, better quality and lower prices. I don't eat at chain restaurants - period. I'm not missing that. What I am missing is a full and rich culinary culture that extends beyond beef (which I love here) and pasta (which I don't).

Shrug.. to each his/her own but I will say, there are many reasons I love Argentina, many things I praise up & down to my friends abroad but I don't ever think the food here will be on that list.

nikad said:
Why do you expect to eat like you do in the US? I never expected to eat like at home when traveling, and that is part of the fun I think. I guess we do not have enough food chains to provide that standard flavor/presentation/price that you would expect in other countries, then again, why should it be like other countries? There are still some chains where you can get the exact same flavor you get back home: McDonalds, BurgerKing, Hooters, TGIFridays, CBC, etc.
I do not expect to eat like at home when traveling, you are right that is part of the fun, neither do i like any of those nasty chain resturants. However in Argentina I expect to eat better and cheaper than in the US because of all the resources Argentina has, all that land packed with fresh fruits, vegetables, berries, animals,etc,etc just look around you if you ever leave Capital, and I would also expect the Argentines to cook the food hell of lot tastier than the north americans, look at all the time they seem to have and their heritage(mostly Italian and spanish).

citygirl said:
But I'm not comparing Buenos Aires to the US - I'm comparing it to large cities all over the world.

In any large city (NY, London, Beijing, Paris, Sydney, Sao Paolo, etc) - you have *a lot* more options for food and in general, better quality and lower prices. I don't eat at chain restaurants - period. I'm not missing that. What I am missing is a full and rich culinary culture that extends beyond beef (which I love here) and pasta (which I don't).

Shrug.. to each his/her own but I will say, there are many reasons I love Argentina, many things I praise up & down to my friends abroad but I don't ever think the food here will be on that list.

I know what you mean, and unfortunately I too have noticed in the last decade that veggies,fruits,meat,etc are not the same quality they used to be. I believe the best is exported now. Shame on a country that gives its own people lower quality food. Despite this, you would always eat much better meat,poultry,veggies,etc out of the city- In any small town, say 200 km away the quality is better. The variety about the same or smaller.

Argentines, as well as most latins are very conservative about food. Geez, 20 years ago you would not dream of a Chinatown, or getting some sort of Mexican, or Peruvian....Indian, whaaaaaaaaaat? I perfectly understand the fact that things are not spicy and that variety is much smaller, I think the ethnic variety is like what you might have found in the US in the 50s :p

DA said:
I do not expect to eat like at home when traveling, you are right that is part of the fun, neither do i like any of those nasty chain resturants. However in Argentina I expect to eat better and cheaper than in the US because of all the resources Argentina has, all that land packed with fresh fruits, vegetables, berries, animals,etc,etc just look around you if you ever leave Capital, and I would also expect the Argentines to cook the food hell of lot tastier than the north americans, look at all the time they seem to have and their heritage(mostly Italian and spanish).
I must agree with you, I honestly do not know what happened in the last 2 decades, I think supermarkets and their uncontrolled growth had to do with it. Their packed stuff, cleaning products, etc are ok, but the rest makes you go hmmmmmm. Out of the city, I guess where small producers can still make a profit you find much better things. But hey, I would not make 200km to buy my veggies or eggs :p There are flavors that I cherish, but I know it is not what it used to be. And people pay gold price for meals at restaurants that do not keep a good quality-price relation, heck they all get their seafood and fish from the chinese, except for Oviedo and one or two more, so you should just better go, buy it and prepare it yourself at 1 twentieth of the cost!!!

Lee said:
Actually if you want pizza worse than here have pizza in Brazil.

That pizza is just terrible!
My son, a huge pizza addict totally hated it in Brazil, especially sweet pizzas with chocolate dudge :p I actaully just saw something somewhat new, in Belgrano there is a place selling pizza cones, lol, I think it was on Sucre st on a corner a few blocks from Cramer... gotta try it once at least ;)

This subject always bring up huge interest because food is central to human life and quality of food is of great importance.

Yes its true that 95percent of all the best ingredients of Argentina are exported and this is a great shame as there is incredible variety of fruits here that should be on everyones table.

One point I like to make is about the humble mango . The ones you see here in the shops are of the lowest quality of the species . Always green and lacking any flavour whatsoever and expensive to boot 12 pesos a kilo is common . But many here do not know that Formosa province has the tastiest mango in the world and its very large sometimes weighing two kilos . They are a golden colour and are mostly flesh and the flavour is like liquid honey . If you go to Puerto Iguazu you will see them and if you are lucky to have a juice from their pulp you will be in heaven. But do you ever see them in Buenos Aires . No because the Japanese and Chinese buy them all . This is shameful that great products that bring health can be denied to the public . Mango is one of the best fruits for man and is a natural anti depressant.

Berries are also very very expensive in the capital either though Argentina has the best berries in the world in Patagonia. There are many new varities there that have incredible health benefits .

What we get for food in the capital is low quality and expensive to boot and more expensive than US prices for most items of any quality. For all of the expats who come here raving about the restaurants i ask you to go the supermarkets and see what we have to buy and the prices and im sure you will rave no more.

The exporting of food to the highest bidder is not new to Argentina. I don't know if this is still true but when I was growing up you couldn't get any good fruit in California or Florida. It all went to NYC. That's what capitalism is all about.....for better or worse.

I'm afraid I got to this discussion late but I would like to hear more about the great US$7 meals you can get all around the world (including the US). Tax and tip is usually more than that around here (Seattle). And aren't the fixed price lunches in BA around US$7 to US$10?

Are there actually people on this thread defending the pizza in Argentina?

lol, after posting here last night I had to ..yes, you guessed it! order some pizza. I get it from a place called Brozziano and it is one of the most similar to NY style pizza. They are also bigger than the average large pizza. Thin crust, not a lot of cheese and it is grated with the tomato sauce on top. We got 2 giant plain cheeze pizza´s for 42 pesos, and have some good leftovers for todays lunch. They are in Recoleta and have two small stores ( they only deliver ). If you miss Pizza Hut style, there is another place called Punto Pizza ( they have stores in Recoleta, Villa Crespo and Belgrano ) The pepperoni is almost the same you get in the US. THey also have pizza with meats and different toppings. Check them out and let me know if you experience got a little better at least ;)

Back