The worst pizza in the world?

mini said:
This conversation, although fun, if going off in different directions & I can't keep up. Just a few things & then I'm out.

"There are/aren't good restaurants". Of course there great restaurants here. Amazing. Top. But I find you really need a solid recommendation. You can't just "take your chances". There is a high probability to be disappointed if you do this. You are likely to pay a lot of money for the really good restaurants. We earn pesos. So the % of my salary that I pay for good restaurants here is higher than anywhere else I've ever lived. I guess that's fine for me because I can leave when I want.

Do keep the recommendations coming! & if you want to continue the discussion so that I don't have to type, I'll make the risotto.... ;)

Simple answer; eat where the locals eat. You won't get American ham burgers or probably even decent pizza, but what you will get is good food (because they have been here for years and know where to go) and at a decent price.

wineguy999 said:
I agree with you, Mini, that many of "those People" never leave home, but I've seen far too many ugly Americans in BsAs who think they'll find all the drek that is available in the US and, unfortunately, widely available throughout Europe. I manage not to talk to very many of them, and if they peg me as a possible English speaker, Ich spreche Deutsches. The only event I had was in Sucre, when a very drunk bozo wanted us to pose for a photo with his passed-out buddy. I explained that he should go home immediately, and never leave there again. But I digress.

RWS, I guess I'm unfortunate, or perhaps have spent so many of my 51 years in the fine dining biz that I have known (or at least know OF) people who consider Landry's a big night out. In fact, people go there for anniversaries and the like. Not the poor , but reasonably affluent people who might otherwise have some amount of good taste. I'm with you - those places are sheer convenience (and subsistance), but most are also expensive as hell, even compared to legitimate fine dining establishments. Now, fast food and the poor is another discussion altogether. I think in the sociology forum.

Slow down, citygirl. I never meant to imply that ALL Americans are clueless about good food. After all, someone's going to Chez Panisse. (My favorite restaurant in the US, btw) I've been around ARG for a few years, and have spent a good deal of time in parts other than BsAs - Santa Fe, Cordoba, Mendoza, San Juan - and if you've never been to San Juan, go.

It's funny how intense people get, and to be insulted so harshly seems absurd (thank you, ssr, for your input). Spirited debate is such a good thing, why ruin it by accusing people of outright stupidity? Maybe I'm lucky in BsAs to have good friends who know the right places, or I'm just wandering into them, and maybe I'm lucky because I don't need Indian or Thai or Chinese very often (less so, with an Argentine wife), and I get that in the states.

Now here's a little Argentine attitude: A friend in Houston, an Argentina, when I said that I liked a particular Tex-Mex joint said, "You LIKE that place!? I haven't had ANYTHING there that I thought was good." I had to reply, "I was born in Texas and feel I'm a decent judge of Tex-Mex. You've obviously had a lot more experience in your two years here. Where should I go?"

FYI: is overrated Chez Panisse, try the Slanted Door the next time you're in the Bay...

as an american that has lived in germany, the diet is less diverse than someone who normally resides in LA/SF/NYC. In the aforementioned cities, the populations have become accustom to asian food; therefore its sorely missed when absent. I'm not even going to start on produce. Regardless, I tend to focus on Peruvian and Middle Eastern fare when I'm in BA. Most asian cuisine is hopeless because of the lack of spices and proper fish. However, there is a proper Indian joint, called Tandoor.

Ryoga said:
FYI: is overrated Chez Panisse, try the Slanted Door the next time you're in the Bay...

I have tried the Slanted Door, and countless other restaurants in SF - but you are talking apples and oranges. Comparing Provencal cuisine with Viet Namese is too much of a stretch.

BTW, Slanted Door was better before the move, and I think you should try Chez Panisse again - or maybe you just don't care for the style.

Ryoga said:

as an american that has lived in germany, the diet is less diverse than someone who normally resides in LA/SF/NYC. In the aforementioned cities, the populations have become accustom to asian food; therefore its sorely missed when absent. I'm not even going to start on produce. Regardless, I tend to focus on Peruvian and Middle Eastern fare when I'm in BA. Most asian cuisine is hopeless because of the lack of spices and proper fish. However, there is a proper Indian joint, called Tandoor.

the produce here is horrible. This is such a huge country, I don't understand why they can't have a larger selection of FRESH produce. I've seen rotten and moldy veggies at the carrefour (i know you are supposed to hit the small veggie markets, but still) and the smell...damn.. its almost impossible to stand around pick out produce sometimes.

arty said:
the produce here is horrible. This is such a huge country, I don't understand why they can't have a larger selection of FRESH produce. I've seen rotten and moldy veggies at the carrefour (i know you are supposed to hit the small veggie markets, but still) and the smell...damn.. its almost impossible to stand around pick out produce sometimes.

The good stuff is sent out of the country.

tangobob said:
Simple answer; eat where the locals eat. You won't get American ham burgers or probably even decent pizza, but what you will get is good food (because they have been here for years and know where to go) and at a decent price.

Oh for pete's sake, don't treat me like an idiot.

I believe that consumers should demand the best quality in food like Arty said it is a disgrace that better produce is not made available to the general Argentinian public.

The costs of food are outrageous as well and benefits the junk food manafacturers who are turning Argentinians into obese sick people.

Has anyone seen the price of raw foods here that are extremely good for health . Almonds at 70 pesos a kilo raspberries 15 pesos a small punnet .

These products are local and should be accessible for all.

On a side not, if you have a car, you might want to go buy at the Mercado Central, where everything ( fruits, veggies, meat and poultry as well as dairy ) is of excellent quality and at 40% of the prices you are paying in the city and supermarkets.

I am also relieved that someone said something to critique the pizzas. I was in Bolivia a few weeks ago, and I went to a place in La Paz called Ely's and finally had a slice of pizza that tasted "American." It almost brought me to tears, I miss that flavor so much.

Now, I don't want to get into an argument about what the BEST pizza is and where...but I do miss the pizza I grew up on. I may not be a real foodie or gourmand or whatever, but I love crappy American pizza!

Here, it is not the toppings....there is something just WRONG in the mixture of the flavor of the dough, sauce, and cheese. And do not get me started on how I cannot find a sauce that replicates the flavor at the store (I am sure replicating the flavor of US pizza sauce means adding a load of undesirable, questionable chemicals into the sauce, but hey, es lo que hay). I would not go as far as to call the pizza awful in all cases, but it always incredibly disappointing to me.

My first meal upon landing in Toronto for the holidays.... PIZZA.

Never thought I'd miss pizza this much!

nikad said:
On a side not, if you have a car, you might want to go buy at the Mercado Central, where everything ( fruits, veggies, meat and poultry as well as dairy ) is of excellent quality and at 40% of the prices you are paying in the city and supermarkets.

I would be VERY CAREFUL at the Mercado Central. You will stick out like a sore thumb tattooed with ¨rob me I´m an extranjero

An article from LNR about sexual abuse in minors at the Mercado Central: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1210181

Back