The worst pizza in the world?

the produce here is horrible

Produce in Argentina doesn't look good, like the oranges are not that ...orange... they have spots and so on. But at least they taste like oranges!
Rotten produce is a good sign for me...what's good for fungi and bacteria is surely good for me too (not so much pesticides, wax and other products to help the fruit look good).
When I lived abroad (mainly Europe) I noticed produce won't rot...it just gets dry with time. Exceptions are organic produce, which rot.
Carrefour is certainly NOT my first address when looking for fresh produce (supermarkets are not good for that either in Europe)

The pizza needs sauce!!!.. yes pizza sauce.. pizza here is just crust with cheese any flavor comes from the toppings mostly....
I would agree with most you on here.... pizza here is average.. there are some that are good... but a Dominos Pizza from the states is better than 90% of the pizza here... and god I miss pepperoni!!!! well dont get me started hahaha

argsteve said:
The pizza needs sauce!!!.. yes pizza sauce.. pizza here is just crust with cheese any flavor comes from the toppings mostly....
I would agree with most you on here.... pizza here is average.. there are some that are good... but a Dominos Pizza from the states is better than 90% of the pizza here... and god I miss pepperoni!!!! well dont get me started hahaha

I agree. As much as I am a foodie, and don't consider Domino's or pizza hut good, its definitely better than most of the pizza's here. I would kill for a great NY pizza. As far as toppings, I certainly miss pepperoni, only few pizzerias have pepperoni, and I am not talking about calabresa. Italian sausage and chorizo, mmmmmm. The only pizzas I tend to like here are "a la piedra" because they are thin. When I make homemade pizza, its much better.

malbec said:
Produce in Argentina doesn't look good, like the oranges are not that ...orange... they have spots and so on. But at least they taste like oranges!
Rotten produce is a good sign for me...what's good for fungi and bacteria is surely good for me too (not so much pesticides, wax and other products to help the fruit look good).
When I lived abroad (mainly Europe) I noticed produce won't rot...it just gets dry with time. Exceptions are organic produce, which rot.
Carrefour is certainly NOT my first address when looking for fresh produce (supermarkets are not good for that either in Europe)

It´s not orange season right now and the produce was compromised first by floods a few months ago and now drought (aside from the floods in San Antonio de Areco there has been little rain overall this summer). Plus, as someone else pointed out in an earlier post, some of the best produce is exported. The quality varies tremendously within Capital, so find a good verdulería and stick with it. Some produce guys/gals pride themselves on having better quality fruits and veggies.

Most of the produce is not organic so you still need to thoroughly wash it and perhaps peel it if you are worried about pesticides. In my opinion, it rots because of the humidity, not because it is organic (although organic produce does not last as long - this is true).

WOW I must either know something or I am a complete idiot. MAny places have crappy pizza in Buenos Aires. However, I have a few Argentine friends who are concierges for some of the larger hotels int he city and they have showed me some great pizza. Also On my last trip Capt Dave introduced me to a place in Palermo in Santa Fe ave called Kentucky, it is a pizza place with a HUGE sign. Every time I go in they are packed with people. I am a huge fan of Fugazzeta, whice no one has in california or Virginia where I live, and it was amazing.

As far as the other restaurants are concerned... I have been introduced to many great places that have amazing food in Argentina. In fact that is one of the main attractions to Argentina is the food. maybe most of you hit the touristy places, who knows, but when I am in Argentina I usually hit a greeat restaurant most every night. But then again I have great friends who have great suggestions and also, I have family suggestions since my family is in Argentina. I feel bad for those of you who do not like the food, complain of everything, perhaps if Everything in Argentina is so bad you should go home or something. I dont mean this to be mean but come on.

Ampfofu said:
As far as the other restaurants are concerned... I have been introduced to many great places that have amazing food in Argentina. In fact that is one of the main attractions to Argentina is the food. maybe most of you hit the touristy places, who knows, but when I am in Argentina I usually hit a greeat restaurant most every night. But then again I have great friends who have great suggestions and also, I have family suggestions since my family is in Argentina. I feel bad for those of you who do not like the food, complain of everything, perhaps if Everything in Argentina is so bad you should go home or something. I dont mean this to be mean but come on.
After reading the other posts on this thread I must say you are the minority in thinking the food is good in Argentina, and maybe your taste buds are not working or you get high before every meal :p

tinto said:
The quality varies tremendously within Capital, so find a good verdulería and stick with it. Some produce guys/gals pride themselves on having better quality fruits and veggies.

I finally found a good verdueria and he ROCKS! I love him! He has the best produce, knows what's in season, what's good, and I'm so much happier now, you can't even imagine!

On a very sad note, I had pizza the other day, (I've avoided this for a long long time), and although the cheese actually melted, it was just wrong (it was like a cheddar) and the sauce was basically sweet ketchup.... very sad! :(

Ampfofu said:
WOW I must either know something or I am a complete idiot. MAny places have crappy pizza in Buenos Aires. However, I have a few Argentine friends who are concierges for some of the larger hotels int he city and they have showed me some great pizza. Also On my last trip Capt Dave introduced me to a place in Palermo in Santa Fe ave called Kentucky, it is a pizza place with a HUGE sign. Every time I go in they are packed with people. I am a huge fan of Fugazzeta, whice no one has in california or Virginia where I live, and it was amazing.

Ok. So tell us what were these great restaurants. We need to know. Names & addresses please!!!!

Have you tried these pizza places?

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/list.php?navby=Cocina&parname=Pizza&par=31

Angelín was good for delivery a couple of years ago (I can no longer eat gluten otherwise I´d give it a try now), although it was absolutely blasted by the Guía Oleo reviewers. What about Punto Y Banco, Guerrín, Las Cuartetas, El Cuartito, Almacén de Pizzas? Not up to par? My personal tip is to order the pizza with extra sauce and ¨bien croccante.¨ Also, know what to order!

BA is not a top culinary destination, but what it has is pretty good. Stop going to touristy restaurants or those of the rich. Go to the suburbs, do not buy in Disco or Carrefour, it is better a pizza from a hole-in-the-wall shop than your typical Recoleta smug young chef. The good things in BA: meat, meat, meat (again, not in the touristy spots), ice-cream (yes, it is the best, in so many places, avoid the chains of course, go to the suburbs), PIZZA (lots of good mozzarella, obviosuly you need to know where to go, pizza should not have a "sauce", at least not around here). And our own kind of "ethnic": Northwest food (empanadas salteñas, humitas, locro, etc).

You should know that Pizza Hut was in Argentina once, as Wendy's, Dunking Donuts, and others. We do not like it. And they were gone for good.

Back