The worst pizza in the world?

Well, I'm American and I'm pretty damn sure I have an idea what "good" food is. And that doesn't constitute Wendys, Olive Garden, Pizza Hut et al.

Out of curiosity wineguy - how long have you been here? Not picking a fight, just curious.

For me, the first year here, I loved the steak, tolerated the pizza (although I personally find Romarios pretty gross) and generally didn't think twice about what the options were. Year 2, not so much on enjoying the food. The restaurants I love I have eaten at more times than I can count. I *miss* good quality fruits & veges, I miss having lots of dining options (see my comments about Indian, Mexican, Thai, Dim Sum, Sushi, Vietnamese, etc.)

I'm planning a trip to Lima in the next few weeks and am quite excited - they say the food options there are fantastic.

And JP - 3 million is still a large city - esp if you take into context that Greater Buenos Aires is 12 million people.

Very few expats venture outside the clutch of affluent barrios in the centre. If you're prepared to travel the length and breadth of the provincia you can find decent produce.

I miss a good thai curry, but why should there be good thai curry here? There's little french food in thailand. And little dim sum in india. Pick a city of 3 million in a developing country on the other side of the world, and the chances are you aren't going to be overwhelmed by the gastronmic offer.

There's lots of things i miss, but its a bit pointless dwelling on the many ways BA isn't like home. It would be nice to have a few more restaurants, but I just cook more. Its a nice incentive to learn how to make the dishes you miss, instead of relying on having the best quality at the lowest prices at your convenience.

I agree with you, Mini, that many of "those People" never leave home, but I've seen far too many ugly Americans in BsAs who think they'll find all the drek that is available in the US and, unfortunately, widely available throughout Europe. I manage not to talk to very many of them, and if they peg me as a possible English speaker, Ich spreche Deutsches. The only event I had was in Sucre, when a very drunk bozo wanted us to pose for a photo with his passed-out buddy. I explained that he should go home immediately, and never leave there again. But I digress.

RWS, I guess I'm unfortunate, or perhaps have spent so many of my 51 years in the fine dining biz that I have known (or at least know OF) people who consider Landry's a big night out. In fact, people go there for anniversaries and the like. Not the poor , but reasonably affluent people who might otherwise have some amount of good taste. I'm with you - those places are sheer convenience (and subsistance), but most are also expensive as hell, even compared to legitimate fine dining establishments. Now, fast food and the poor is another discussion altogether. I think in the sociology forum.

Slow down, citygirl. I never meant to imply that ALL Americans are clueless about good food. After all, someone's going to Chez Panisse. (My favorite restaurant in the US, btw) I've been around ARG for a few years, and have spent a good deal of time in parts other than BsAs - Santa Fe, Cordoba, Mendoza, San Juan - and if you've never been to San Juan, go.

It's funny how intense people get, and to be insulted so harshly seems absurd (thank you, ssr, for your input). Spirited debate is such a good thing, why ruin it by accusing people of outright stupidity? Maybe I'm lucky in BsAs to have good friends who know the right places, or I'm just wandering into them, and maybe I'm lucky because I don't need Indian or Thai or Chinese very often (less so, with an Argentine wife), and I get that in the states.

Now here's a little Argentine attitude: A friend in Houston, an Argentina, when I said that I liked a particular Tex-Mex joint said, "You LIKE that place!? I haven't had ANYTHING there that I thought was good." I had to reply, "I was born in Texas and feel I'm a decent judge of Tex-Mex. You've obviously had a lot more experience in your two years here. Where should I go?"

Ooh - which Tex-Mex place did you like? My friend and I (she's also Texan) have been on a tour of the tex-mex restaurants in town. Fabrica del Taco has a very hot sauce which I appreciate. I actually enjoy Cielito Lindo although I have friends that don't. Maria Felix is fine but bland. Lupita in Las Canitas has the worst service I've ever had in my life although their guacamole is good.

Wait - edited for comprehension - you were talking about a Tex-Mex place in Texas. Sigh.. I was hoping you might know someplace here. I miss tex-mex too.

Re restaurants - I was just curious on the length of time b/c as I said, for me, the first year I didn't miss the food options. Now, well, I do. Part of that may be that I'm from NYC where you have every cuisine available in the world so I know I was spoiled.

For me - restaurants I like include the following:
Cluny, Bistro Tokio in Belgrano (total dive but yummy food), Osaka, Nectarine, To (upstairs with the full menu, not downstairs), the closed door restaurants (Casa Felix, Casa Coupage, Maat, La concina discreta, et al), a great Italian cantina en Villa Crespo on Gurruchaga and Loyola, Chan Chan, Oui Oui for brunch (although I also like Novecento - they have a great eggs benedict), Tonno (and yes - it's a chain but the one in Las Canitas has really good carne picante empanadas and a chocolate mousse that makes my mouth water), Danton - although I haven't been there in quite a while, Las Cholas/Cabritas/Cabras for good, inexpensive food, Libelula - I'll stop here.

This conversation, although fun, if going off in different directions & I can't keep up. Just a few things & then I'm out.

"Cook your own food". I eat at home most of the time, 6 days a week, I'd say. So that has nothing to do with the perceived (or real?) lack of diversity & particularly quality in fruits & veggies to cook with. South America has amazing produce and we don't get it here. It's a shame. Not only that when I DO go out, I makes it all that much more disappointing when the mean is so-so.

"Don't expect things to be like home". I don't expect them to be like home. (Well, I sort of do except them to be like home because I am home. This my home, but I know that's not what you mean! ;) )
What I would like to expect is the quality to be higher, be more abundant. But I understand all the good stuff gets shipped out of the country & other countries don't really ship anything into this country.

"There are/aren't good restaurants". Of course there great restaurants here. Amazing. Top. But I find you really need a solid recommendation. You can't just "take your chances". There is a high probability to be disappointed if you do this. You are likely to pay a lot of money for the really good restaurants. We earn pesos. So the % of my salary that I pay for good restaurants here is higher than anywhere else I've ever lived. I guess that's fine for me because I can leave when I want.

Finally: Pizza. I don't like it here. Why? It's the cheese. I don't like the cheese, so.... I can't have a pizza without cheese. Thus I've stopped eating it. OK, admittedly my sample size isn't that big. I would definitely try again with a solid recommendation.

Finally, ending on a positive: some restaurants I have particularly loved: Cluny, Krizia, Sottovoce, La Cabrera, ChanChan, Bardot, Francesco, Dora, Casa Felix.
Good Fiambres/Quesos: Manchego on S.Ortiz (Guatemala)

I'll add more when I remember.

Do keep the recommendations coming! & if you want to continue the discussion so that I don't have to type, I'll make the risotto.... ;)

you can make your own pizza for about 8 pesos with the pre-made pizza crusts.
make sure you cook the pizza on the oven rack for a crisp crust

last week i made 10 pizzas for 80 pesos:
hawaiian
bbq chicken
Porteño (my creation): green olives, mushrooms, onions, red peppers, and pineapple
TBG: tomato basil and garlic
chorizo and peppers
ham black olives and tomato

if i find some bacon, im going to make my southwestern style pizza next time; and maybe a turkey pesto after thanksgiving

i'm from cali so i need my pineapple. i actually had some argentines try it and like it. then again, like everything else in life balance is important. most US pizza is sh*t

This reminds me, I went to Punto y Banco last week. Had two slices of muzzeralla. They were fresh out of the oven & quite tasty. The dough is really more like focaccia and the cheese was a tiny bit salty. But yummy none the less. Plus, the pizzailo called me linda & mamacita. What more can one ask for? :) I'd go back!

I came across this review on - mattbites.com

Grappa « El Salvador 5800
Oh, I’m conflicted. The Pizza Pedant in me must go away — far, far away — for me to enjoy pizza in Argentina. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just that it’s not the kind of pizza I enjoy. But the large, freshly grilled flatbread pizzas at Grappa hit the spot on Sunday night. A bit salty with too much cheese but it proves my point: put enough prosciutto and arugula on anything and I’ll eat it completely.

avoid the typical "pizza & empanadas" place...go to the italians: filo, guido's for a mediterranean taste/thin crust...if you dig the heavier thick dough go to av corrientes and have a slice standing at the bar like a man...

Back