The worst pizza in the world?

gsi16386 said:
Apparently you all haven't been to Kentucky's over towards Plaza Italia. HOLY MOLY that pizza is AWESOME!! And I agree with you all in regards to food quality standards in supermarkets. The fresher veges/fruits tend to be found at the smaller corner stores. Not only that, but they're cheaper!! (as if things couldn't get any cheaper down here as it is).

Yeah I was there because of their sign where they brag they have the best pizza in Palermo. But quickly walked out when I saw that it was all pan pizza.

malbec said:
If the food is that bad everywhere in Argentina...why not opening a restaurant and show those brutos argentinos what is good food and how to prepare it consistently?
After all, if the food is that much better than that found at local restaurants, the business will be a gold mine.

I don't think the food is bad everywhere. There are a lot of good restaurants but it's true that there is a lack of vegetables on menus and that there tends to be tremendous uniformity. As for expats opening restaurants, I hear that that's been happening. Resident foreigners have been having a lot of influence on food tastes here. There are lots of 'ethnic' restaurants nowadays that never existed when I first came here.

malbec said:
You are an inmigrant and as long as you live there, it is your home. Do something to change things!

One thing you can do is to INSIST on a receipt for everything you buy.

I'm enjoying the food here in Argentina. The restaurants I've been to are pretty good - as a matter of fact I have not been to a bad one yet. So I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out how so many on this forum can not find good food.

Just came back from pizza at El Cuartito, Talcahuano 937. They have been in business since 1934 and there had to be 300 people there tonight. I guess they are one of the good ones or they would not have survived 75 years. We had the mozzarella & tomato pizza with some green olives and it was good. They even had a shaker of red pepper.

Went to another restaurant last night called Il Mattarello (sp?) in La Boca - excellent Italian food. It doesn't look like a very pleasant neighborhood so you can park in the garage just around the corner and the restaurant picks up 1 1/2 hours of parking fees. Started with eggplant appetizers and then some nice ravioli and good malbec. Ended sweetly with tiramisu and coffee, followed by grappa and lemoncello for the wife.

So there are a few of the good places I have been in this city. I recommend you try them yourself.

El Cuartito is one of the few places, in my opinion, who have good pizza. Quality cheese, the crusts are usually fairly nicely cooked and can approach crispy (and not hard) at times. I love the pepperoni (sometimes it's real, though not top-quality) and the atomica when I'm in the mood for some hot spice, not common to get in the city.

I had forgotten another place I used to go to, La Americana, when I was apartment-hopping in my early days here. It was near the corner of Callao and Corrientes, but a couple of blocks up Callao from the intersection, away from Recoleta/Barrio Norte. It had pretty good quality pizza, similar to El Cuartito. It had even better empanadas. I think the empanadas at El Cuartito are usually quite tasteless, except sometimes the chicken has an interesting flavor. I always remember good empanadas at La Americana.

would you guys pay $10 U.S. for a large NYC style pizza with the same quality and size(18"). and that's cheap in NYC. that's the problem- you expats in BA is you don't want to pay because you're used to cheap "local" food. IT'S THE INGREDIENTS. the expat rule is " if you can get the same item(quality & quantity) you in as in your country cheaper" this is GREAT. you've scored.

You know bepak, you may have hit the problem squarely on the head...if you are looking for two dollar pizzas, you'll probably find them and they will be just that. Better order some ripple or MD20/20 to wash it down while you're at it!!

El queso - I was eyeing the atomica on the menu, but the other 5 people over ruled it...

Hello there! I've found these forums, blogs and other BsAs expat/travel sites to be extremely helpful in planning for an upcoming extended stay there. Obviously, one of the things I've been researching is the food -- beyond the beef most foreigners associate with Argentina, of course.

But after skimming through this thread on pizza, I'm hoping I don't end up as negative as some of the posters about the city's cuisine. Although I'll be living in BsAs for up to a year -- possibly longer -- I know I may have to do without many of the luxuries I have in NYC, including great pizza.

For those saying Buenos Aires needs higher-quality food at cheaper prices, why should they accommodate us, the foreigners, when Porteños have done fine with what they have thus far? I need to adjust to life there, not the other way around; isn't that the idea?

Don't get me wrong... I'm really, REALLY going to miss the pizza at local joints like Grimaldi's, Lombardi's and Totonno's, not to mention the dozens of awesome regular pizzerias in the boroughs and beyond. Still, I'm sure I'll manage just fine in BsAs as long as I keep an open mind (and stomach).

gsi16386 said:
Apparently you all haven't been to Kentucky's over towards Plaza Italia. HOLY MOLY that pizza is AWESOME!! .
Please explain in more detail why you like the pizza at Kentucky. I went there today it was AWFUL, HORRIBLE pizza, they use the lowest quality of ingredients, the place was filthy I even saw cockroaches when i leaned over the bar, they where dead because someone had stepped on them but still. If they would have had GOOD pizza I would overlook the filth and the roaches but this was just too disgusting. This place was the typical Buenos Aires Pizza joint with shitty pizza.

Back