There is something I don't get...

steveinbsas said:
I am intrigued by this question...which people are you referring to? Don't you think that most of those who post here are either foreigners living in BA or have visited at least once....and have passports? Who is it that you think might not have visited a first world country?
I believe he is referring to locals posting here...

nikad said:
I believe he is referring to locals posting here...

At least that's what you infer.

There really aren't many of those, are there?

Nonetheless, one certainly made an impression today.

I thank Aleli for her post. I think she makes some good points. Let's face it most the people who post here aren't really expats, they are really more like tourists on an extended vacation. Many like to complain about Argentina as well as back home. Very few work and I'm sure 90% would be gone tomorrow if they had to live and work like the locals.

gouchobob said:
I thank Aleli for her post. I think she makes some good points. Let's face it most the people who post here aren't really expats, they are really more like tourists on an extended vacation. Many like to complain about Argentina as well as back home. Very few work and I'm sure 90% would be gone tomorrow if they had to live and work like the locals.

I'm actually here to work. I make less than I would for the same work in the USA, but I make more than a local; and you better believe if I made what locals do I would be out of here in a New York second!

gouchobob said:

Well, what's an expat? If you've got a suitable definition, you should maybe contribute to this thread:

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/7486-what-your-definition-expat.html

I don't think many of those "expats" in Prague in the 90s were working for local wages. Nor are the "expats" hanging around in places like Thailand right now.

But, eh, enough of this nonsense. We're all here for one reason or another and can afford to be. And we're certainly allowed to complain about the place on forums like this one. Some sensitive folks want to get their panties in a bunch because some stranger posting anonymously on an expat forum thinks the food sucks in BA, well, that's their right, too, I suppose. Damn pansies. ;)

iStar said:
Yes that is correct.

Hi iStar,
I actually have two passports, one argentinian and one italian, I have visited 36 countries in my whole life (around Europe, north and central America, Asia and Africa), I have attended graduate studies in Europe and due to some personal circumstances I lived the last two years in NYC...

ALELI said:
Hi iStar,
I actually have two passports, one argentinian and one italian, I have visited 36 countries in my whole life (around Europe, north and central America, Asia and Africa), I have attended graduate studies in Europe and due to some personal circumstances I lived the last two years in NYC...

Well, then, jeez, ALELI, you should be no stranger to bitching and moaning about life in the big city. You just missing home or something and upset that some expats are talking smack about it here on the internets?

You wanna complain about NYC any time, I'm here for you. I'm sure I have far worse things to say about the place than you do. :)

Back