There is something I don't get...

nikad said:
It is very true, Argentine complain and whine and bit** a lot, but imagine this picture: Argentine expats living in Texas talking crap about the US, the city, the govt, etc, what are the odds locals actively look for them to beat the c**p out of them? Come on! Americans are very nationalistic im general, and in our own way, we are here too...

One big difference is that we are complaining on a forum for Expats, not to our Argentine friends or acquaintances or people we just met at the store or something. We are not complaining because we hate Argentina (at least, certainly not most of us).

And I DID field many complaints and bitches about how things were in the States living in Texas, working with folks from the UK, from Australia, from France (and oh my God, particularly from France!). We didn't kill them - we bought them a beer after work and had a good laugh. Not that there weren't some folks in Texas who wouldn't have been tempted to kill them, but like us, the guys who were complaining to me and my co-workers knew when and where to do it.

Aleli, People go to BA for different reasons, some for work, some for adventure. This forum gives these people an opportunity to express their opinions, sometimes "blow off steam" (release their frustrations) and to learn from the experiences of others. I know Argentines who have lived in the US and they have good and bad things to say about the US. The same is true of expats living in Argentina. A couple of my Argentine friends complain about spicy food in restaurants in the US. They would prefer well-done beef and French fried potatoes. That's their opinion. I don't think that expats should necessarily try to change the tastes of all the Argentines but I definitedy DO see a change in food served in restaurants. There is now far more variety ('ethnic') food than there used to be. Argentines are slowly changing their habits and it has something to do with the influx of tourists and globalization. I lived in the UK some years ago and I saw the influence of Pakistaini and Indian immigration. These and other groups have made Britain a multi-racial and multi-ethnic society and it shows in the more imaginative and exotic food now available in the UK compared to years ago. I think the comments about food express a legitimate surprise that the cuisine is not more spicy and indigenous as it is in most Latin American countries.

nikad said:
It is very true, Argentine complain and whine and bit** a lot, but imagine this picture: Argentine expats living in Texas talking crap about the US, the city, the govt, etc, what are the odds locals actively look for them to beat the c**p out of them? Come on! Americans are very nationalistic im general, and in our own way, we are here too...

I understand what you are saying but... I think Americans are for the most part pretty thick skinned. We would probably be in agreement with most of the complaints, as we complain at home as much or maybe worse than Argentines. What we don't take kindly to is attacking our very form of government and economy, our society, our people, demonizing our entire country, etc. For that I would indeed participate in the butt whooping. :)

But I don't know anyone here who have made such attacks against Argentina in this forum. That would be completely disrespectful and uncalled for.

The good thing about this forum is that it allows me somewhere to go to vent some of my frustrations, admit I do not understand how some things work here, and when the need arises just complain. This saves me sharing this with my family and locals here who would probably beat the crap out of me for it. Argentines on the other hand do not have thick skin.

So let's just say that this forum is performing a much needed function of helping international relations. :)

Mark

ElQueso said:
One big difference is that we are complaining on a forum for Expats, not to our Argentine friends or acquaintances or people we just met at the store or something. We are not complaining because we hate Argentina (at least, certainly not most of us).

And I DID field many complaints and bitches about how things were in the States living in Texas, working with folks from the UK, from Australia, from France (and oh my God, particularly from France!). We didn't kill them - we bought them a beer after work and had a good laugh. Not that there weren't some folks in Texas who wouldn't have been tempted to kill them, but like us, the guys who were complaining to me and my co-workers knew when and where to do it.

I do feel frustrated about many of the things that are mentioned here, and I do not consider myself superior to the rest of Porteños or anything of the likes. It is just that sometimes some things sound pretty harsh ( the choice of words ) then again, that might be another ( yet ) cultural difference! Americans tend to be more sarcastic and harsh with critics, and in all honesty, when you do not have any emotional involvement with both the place and its people, I guess it is just natural to be hard with the critics. I for one am very careful with the things I say about the US when talking to my husband for example, or his family, because every little thing has a whole different meaning to them and it is loaded with emotions and other significances :)

markbsas said:
The good thing about this forum is that it allows me somewhere to go to vent some of my frustrations, admit I do not understand how some things work here, and when the need arises just complain. This saves me sharing this with my family and locals here who would probably beat the crap out of me for it. Argentines on the other hand do not have thick skin.

So let's just say that this forum is performing a much needed function of helping international relations. :)

Mark

Lol, you are damn right, we do not have a thick skin, and these things in you in laws ears, oh my God... let´s just say you do not wanna go that way, keep on venting here for your own safety, heehhehe ;)

nikad said:
It is just that sometimes some things sound pretty harsh ( the choice of words ) then again, that might be another ( yet ) cultural difference! Americans tend to be more sarcastic and harsh with critics, and in all honesty, when you do not have any emotional involvement with both the place and its people, I guess it is just natural to be hard with the critics.

I will plead guilty to being sarcastic and probably sometimes sound harsh. I've even tried being sarcastic in spanish and so far it does not work very well. I do try to be diplomatic here in person, on the forum not so much. You have a very good point, and one I will try to take to heart.

Thanks

sergio said:
I think the comments about food express a legitimate surprise that the cuisine is not more spicy and indigenous as it is in most Latin American countries.

Or like it is in many European countries.

I've spent about six months in Italy for work, all in the north half, on the east and west sides (Ravenna, Venice, Bologna and Rome) and to be honest, when I came down here, knowing how large the Italian population reportedly was, I couldn't believe how little comparison there was between the pasta of Italy and the pasta of Buenos Aires. When I say "pasta" I mean not just the actual pasta, but the sauces and meats that go with the pasta as well.

Not that one cannot find good pasta in Buenos Aires, but I don't think I ever had a bad pasta meal in Italy, anywhere. Not to mention some of the finer-prepared meats and fish. Here you have to really seek it out to get the same level.

And actually, I think many US citizens have a misconception about the food in Latin American countries. They tend to think of Mexico as far as food goes in Latin America goes because they have no experience with more than that.

I don't really think that most Latin American countries have spicy food, although many maybe a bit more so than food in Buenos Aires (although to me Cordoba was about the same, so maybe it's Argentina).

Brasil has some spicy food, Chile a bit. Although I've spent a few weeks in Venezuela, it was about ten years ago and I don't remember one way or the other. Colombia has fairly bland food (but tasty). Paraguay and Uruguay bland for the most part, although I think Paraguay beats Argentina in chorizos (more flavor and they have both plain and spicy - I LOVE the spicy ones!)

When I talk about food, I don't think the relative blandness and relative lack of variety makes Argentina a bad place. It's just, to me and what I like, a fact of life.

I once thought about opening a TexMex/Cajun restaurant here and although many of my younger Argentine friends absolutely loved both Texas chili and gumbo, they all pretty much agreed that it might be a bit too foreign and spicy for most Argentinos. I sent some gumbo (not really spicy, I thought, at all) to our neighbors here after they expressed interest, but they confessed a month later that they didn't finish it because it was so spicy they couldn't finish it. I have to make things less spicy for my Paraguayan family so I was really surprised to hear that!

That's ok - I'll get over it and won't think any of the worse of Argentinos because they don't like my food!

I love the fact portenos don't like spicy things- my salsa picante is safe!

Hmm an Argentine visiting this forum speaking english with an italian passport who travelled throughout Europe. I met somebody like that just one hour ago, but he claimed he found it very normal for expatriates to feel frustrated by the argentine reality, because himself was feeling the same way :)

ElQueso said:
Or like it is in many European countries.

I've spent about six months in Italy for work, all in the north half, on the east and west sides (Ravenna, Venice, Bologna and Rome) and to be honest, when I came down here, knowing how large the Italian population reportedly was, I couldn't believe how little comparison there was between the pasta of Italy and the pasta of Buenos Aires. When I say "pasta" I mean not just the actual pasta, but the sauces and meats that go with the pasta as well.

Not that one cannot find good pasta in Buenos Aires, but I don't think I ever had a bad pasta meal in Italy, anywhere. Not to mention some of the finer-prepared meats and fish. Here you have to really seek it out to get the same level.

And actually, I think many US citizens have a misconception about the food in Latin American countries. They tend to think of Mexico as far as food goes in Latin America goes because they have no experience with more than that.

I don't really think that most Latin American countries have spicy food, although many maybe a bit more so than food in Buenos Aires (although to me Cordoba was about the same, so maybe it's Argentina).

Brasil has some spicy food, Chile a bit. Although I've spent a few weeks in Venezuela, it was about ten years ago and I don't remember one way or the other. Colombia has fairly bland food (but tasty). Paraguay and Uruguay bland for the most part, although I think Paraguay beats Argentina in chorizos (more flavor and they have both plain and spicy - I LOVE the spicy ones!)

When I talk about food, I don't think the relative blandness and relative lack of variety makes Argentina a bad place. It's just, to me and what I like, a fact of life.

I once thought about opening a TexMex/Cajun restaurant here and although many of my younger Argentine friends absolutely loved both Texas chili and gumbo, they all pretty much agreed that it might be a bit too foreign and spicy for most Argentinos. I sent some gumbo (not really spicy, I thought, at all) to our neighbors here after they expressed interest, but they confessed a month later that they didn't finish it because it was so spicy they couldn't finish it. I have to make things less spicy for my Paraguayan family so I was really surprised to hear that!

That's ok - I'll get over it and won't think any of the worse of Argentinos because they don't like my food!

Next time you need a volunteer, let me know ;)

Back