There is something I don't get...

I completely agree about food in Italy. On my last trip about 2 years ago I had nothing but GREAT food in over two weeks. Most of the meals were reasonably priced. Pasta was ALWAYS excellent, even in ordinary places. Pizza superb. Cheese in Italy is a lot better. Better, fresher ingredients are used and the Italians have a lot more skill at cooking. I know a few good Italian restaurants in BA, however, that can compare to those in Italy but that is not saying a lot for such a huge city as BA.

nikad said:
It is very true, Argentine complain and whine and bit** a lot, but imagine this picture: Argentine expats living in Texas talking crap about the US, the city, the govt, etc, what are the odds locals actively look for them to beat the c**p out of them? Come on! Americans are very nationalistic im general, and in our own way, we are here too...

I lived 6.5 years in Houston and never ever bitched about what I didn't like about the City, nor in public, nor in forums. (and I had a LOT to bitch about Houston)

Not venting that in the open made my life miserable back there? Not.

kikedeolivos said:
I lived 6.5 years in Houston and never ever bitched about what I didn't like about the City, nor in public, nor in forums. (and I had a LOT to bitch about Houston)

No one ever said there were no saints among us savages...

kikedeolivos said:

Yeah, and I'm still a virgin. Please.

I did think the original post was quite ironic because the privileged Argenitalian scolded everyone for discussing realities in Argentina. Isn't a good thing that these issues are discussed? I think the discussions of these issues on this forum inevitably allow for several perspectives on the issue, and thus possibly allow people to reframe the problem they are having in a more positive way. Just think, if we never discussed these issues here or anywhere else, we might never look at them in a different light.

I complain about life in Missouri (I've been home almost 3 weeks and I can feel my sanity slipping away...) and life in Buenos Aires. As others have stated, we all complain. It's a very human thing to do, and anyone who says she/he doesn't do it is extremely oblivious, to say the least.

Kikedeolivos, you didn't complain in Houston but you ARE complaining now! You're complaining that expats are complaining! The right to complain is something that we can do in a democracy, whether that democracy is in the US or Argentina.

bradlyhale said:
Yeah, and I'm still a virgin. Please.

I did think the original post was quite ironic because the privileged Argenitalian scolded everyone for discussing realities in Argentina. Isn't a good thing that these issues are discussed? I think the discussions of these issues on this forum inevitably allow for several perspectives on the issue, and thus possibly allow people to reframe the problem they are having in a more positive way. Just think, if we never discussed these issues here or anywhere else, we might never look at them in a different light.

I complain about life in Missouri (I've been home almost 3 weeks and I can feel my sanity slipping away...) and life in Buenos Aires. As others have stated, we all complain. It's a very human thing to do, and anyone who says she/he doesn't do it is extremely oblivious, to say the least.

Typical, do as I say, not as I do. The locals can bitch about things they don't like because it's theirs to do so.

And everyone I have ever met who has unfortunately been to Houston (myself included) complains about the humidity.

ALELI said:
I entered with a special visa because my husband is a diplomat, but FYI, europeans can stay legally under the visa waiver programme for 3 month in the US and argentinian with a tourist visa can stay maximun 6 month,

By the way, how old are you? you seem to be very immature and have quite weak arguments for a debate...

Well, Mrs Diplomat. Thanks. However I do not and or have not debated any points on this board. You have based your conclusions wishful thinking.

sergio said:
You're complaining that expats are complaining!

That is so true.

sergio said:
The right to complain is something that we can do in a democracy, whether that democracy is in the US or Argentina.

Complaining has nothing to do with democracy. I am sure there are some negative bastards in [insert your favorite dictatorship here] complaining about something right now.

sergio said:
You're complaining that expats are complaining!

Hah!

markbsas said:
Argentines on the other hand do not have thick skin.

This is really the root of the problem for me. I can have a normal, adult conversation with just about anyone from any other large city in the world and discuss the relative strengths and weaknesses of where we both happen to be from and, well, that's that. No big deal. But porteños have been raised with these nutty ideas about Buenos Aires and many never leave Argentina so they have no real understanding of the world outside their borders and the idea that foreigners consider BA to be anything less than spectactular seems earth-shattering for them.

I will add this, though: San Francisco's pretty bad, too. Try to suggest to someone from San Francisco that it isn't the greatest place on Earth, I dare you. ;)

If Argentina wasn't a third world country I would not be able to afford to live like a king here, so I embrace it's broken pavements, the fact that dogs haven't been genetically modified not to shit and the fact that the lack of peanut butter and good pizzas may be enough to put off a few Americans!

I do have a complaint however about the amount of space on this forum that is dedicated to peanut butter (subsistence food) and pizza (peasant food). Argentina has its own variations on both categories.

Personally, I don't think you have the right to complain about a country unless you pay tax in it... which I don't. Complaining about bad five star hotels of course is another matter.

The only complaint I would have if I had to work on an argentine salary, suffer the apparent misery of the Subte and Collectivos (I have never been on either), listen to people moaning night and day etc etc..is that god didn't give me the intelligence to understand where I was going before I arrived.

Back