There is something I don't get...

Why would you sign up on a forum created for expats to talk about life in argentina and then post a thread saying 'you complain too much, if you don't like it go back home' ?

what do you expect? do you want people to sign up on forums about life in argentina just to post 'oh life here is great, I love argentina, I love the government and the people and the pizza here! god bless argentina!"

I really don't understand this thread

Why would you sign up on a forum created for expats to talk about life in argentina and then post a thread saying 'you complain too much, if you don't like it go back home' ?
The 'go back home' is rather an advice than an order. If BA and Argentina are as bad as some write, well, I really wish those people leave the country as soon as they can. Before they are murdered, killed by a colectivo, intoxicated with our disgusting asados or before they get drown in a cagada de perro.

what do you expect? do you want people to sign up on forums about life in argentina just to post 'oh life here is great, I love argentina, I love the government and the people and the pizza here! god bless argentina!"
Not really. But when even the thread about the things people like about BA has more negative than positive posts...I am forced to think that many are stupid for living in the city!

And I think it is a good thing many Argentinians post here. Or do you think you inmigrants know the country better than we do?

On a different note, the melancholic lyrics of Tango, and the music itself, trace its roots back to the time when the inmigrants were sad about having left their origin countries. The 'Back home everything was better' attitude seems to be quite universal. It is not difficult - after reading some posts - where the amargado character of some porteños comes from.

malbec said:
And I think it is a good thing many Argentinians post here. Or do you think you inmigrants know the country better than we do?

We're immigrants, but many of us were completely ignorant (inocente) about the dangers here from day one, including crossing the street in the crosswalk when the light is green and the little white man in the semaphore says, "Come on, that taxi ain't gonna hit ya."

And that's after getting hit up for a bribe to a customs agent at the airport on arrival.

Of course you know the country better than we do.

So do all of the rip off artists preying on foreigners.

We Argentines are always complaining. About everything, soccer, politics, economics, religion, healthcare, transport, crime, ... the list goes on and on. It would be hypocrite to complain about expats complaining after all the complaining we do in a daily basis. I think you are learning that from us.

Just go to any bar, sit for a minute or two and you will hear how we complain and try to solve all our problems arguing behind a cup of coffee.

Aleli - well said my dear. I have been reading the forum from Orlando for a long time now and all I read is complaints and more complaints about the way of life and the government. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

there is one area that the "expats" know better than any argentines: locals here have NEVER seen their country as a foreigner sees it, because it's not possible.

they have never had a taxi driver look at them and know from their clothes, accent, etc, that they are "rich gringos".

worth considering.

I'm due to come out here at the end of the month and this thread has opened my eyes to a few things. But there's good and bad everywhere, so it won't put me off.

trapiche said:
Aleli - well said my dear. I have been reading the forum from Orlando for a long time now and all I read is complaints and more complaints about the way of life and the government. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

Wait - you're posting from Orlando. And telling people if they can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen:confused: A bit amusing no? Since you yourself are far out of the kitchen:D

there is one area that the "expats" know better than any argentines: locals here have NEVER seen their country as a foreigner sees it, because it's not possible.
Surely not,but having lived in another country helps a lot.

they have never had a taxi driver look at them and know from their clothes, accent, etc, that they are "rich gringos".
...or a stupid provinciano. Taxi drivers distinguish very quickly when someone is not a porteño.

Taxi drivers try to take you around for a drive eveywhere in the World. And taxi drivers in BA don't care if you are foreigner or not. Spanish or being Argentine won't help much if you don't know where he is driving to.

Back