Thinking Of Retiring In Ba. Have A Few Questions.

I want to thank almost everyone for the info. I need to keep researching this notion.

Thanks to all for the advice. I do plan on renting prior to committing to a purchase. It does take some time to get the lay of the land (anywhere). And perhaps, renting is the only way to go. I own property now and it is an occasional pain to keep it up. Maybe it's best to leave that to a landlord. At least for a while. BTW, I have looked at some lofts to buy/rent and have saw a couple of reasonably priced lofts listed on this realtor's website. That's what intially got the wheels turning. http://www.jaimejensen.com/

The cost of health care does concern me. As I age, I know that I'll have to keep a keen eye on any health issues that may pop up. $700 a month? That's pricey.

Again, thanks to all for the info and I'll keep researching the retirement topic.

That is pricey..!!Hospital Aleman Plan US$700 for shared hospital room , private room more! Other less expensive options exist perhaps half of that for less quality, and also Public Health Plans!!

700 would be for the best of the best i want to guess lol, that sound crazy man how old are you 200 years? :p , pay the treatment you need in cash before spending that amount.

Again Lamarque....!! :rolleyes: pay for a major surgery cash?? :D You would have to sell your property....!

Again Lamarque....!! :rolleyes: pay for a major surgery cash?? :D You would have to sell your property....!

I had an lapriscopic appendictomy last year that was complicated by peritonitis (due to incompetence @ the hospital but thats another story) at hospital italiano. Surgery lasted from 1130pm to 5am and I was in the hospital in a private room for 3 days (wonderful hotel services). No insurance here so I just left them a CC when I went into the OR. I was quite surprised when the whole thing, surgery, anesthesia, ultrasounds, etc. came to 19000 pesos, not exactly a starbucks latte, but not quite sell the family home money either.

Obviously this is an isolated case and if there had been any significant on going care expenses it would have been completely different. But relatively affordable medical care is a big plus for Argentina.

I wouldn't advise moving to BA. Too unpredictable. If you buy you might not be able to sell later on. Anything can happen in Argentna. It makes no sense to me to make such a move. You could live in Spain for the same or less without the risk -- and there are other more stable places where you could go with more to offer including nicer, gentler people.

I had an lapriscopic appendictomy last year that was complicated by peritonitis (due to incompetence @ the hospital but thats another story) at hospital italiano. Surgery lasted from 1130pm to 5am and I was in the hospital in a private room for 3 days (wonderful hotel services). No insurance here so I just left them a CC when I went into the OR. I was quite surprised when the whole thing, surgery, anesthesia, ultrasounds, etc. came to 19000 pesos, not exactly a starbucks latte, but not quite sell the family home money either.

Obviously this is an isolated case and if there had been any significant on going care expenses it would have been completely different. But relatively affordable medical care is a big plus for Argentina.

That amount was close to US$ 6500 dollars then? well the Italalino Health Insurance Program was then US$ 500 per month..! worth taking it ?

I wouldn't advise moving to BA. Too unpredictable. If you buy you might not be able to sell later on. Anything can happen in Argentna. It makes no sense to me to make such a move. You could live in Spain for the same or less without the risk -- and there are other more stable places where you could go with more to offer including nicer, gentler people.
You could recommend so many other countries if you are really focused on moving to a place without any risk. Spain has a highly volatile economic situation at the moment and I feel like things may be going down the drain in a couple of years.

I have to say a certain kind of answers of this forum is starting to become a running gag. Every time someone is either new to town or proposes an idea of possibly wanting to live in Buenos Aires, there are always a couple of dramatic reactions like NO OMG DON'T MOVE HERE JESUS CHRIST WHO THE HELL WOULD MOVE HERE.

I appreciate the realism that some posts here portray, and I know that there are a lot of negative things about Argentina, and I do realise that some people are not able to move if they actually want to. But it's hard to find positive recommendations about the city in these threads. There really are worse places to settle down than Buenos Aires, but it's no Switzerland.

Back