Thinking Of Retiring In Ba. Have A Few Questions.

There is always such a hysteria among the expat community about buying and selling property here. I work in this industry and I can tell you for a fact that there are many transactions happening and many more to happen in 2013. You can get your money out of your investment and out of Argentina. If you don't believe that then no problem. That means that you are one less person buyers here need to compete with.

GS-Dirtboy, right now perhaps you can, but with the amount of new regulations the AFIP pulls out of their bum every other day, I wouldn't want to reassure anyone coming down there that that will be the case in 6 mos, 1 year, or 2 years from now. We have Cristina until 2015, so as far as I can see, we can only look forward to more and more AFIP restrictions on transactions of all types (ie like the 20% tax on travel, won't surprise me if by end of year that's 30% and by 2014 who knows....)

AFIP Cristina, Kicilloff and Moreno are flying by the seat of their pants, you never know what they're going to do next

So out of curiosity, the reports in the news are that selling/buying activity dropped off considerably in 2012 and into 2013. Are you saying that's not the case?

No, I'm not saying that. There was a significant drop in activity in 2012. That's because currency restrictions had buyers/sellers frozen. Remember the cries of "Pesification!"? One needs to understand the motivations of sellers here. For purposes of this discussion, there is no mortgage market in Argentina. That means that sellers own their properties outright and that means there is no mortgage payment banging on the door every month. So, when access to Dollars was cut sellers simply pulled in their signs (unless they were highly motivated by divorce, death, sickness, etc). On the buyer side that meant fewer properties on the market and more competition for those properties. Now, there is a large backlog of properties that will come back on the market as sellers relax a bit and more buyers have figured out how to complete sales and still get what they need and sellers have figured out how to get what they need (Dollars out of the country).

Yes, there are risks. You could buy an overpriced property on a bubble and then be left with 50% of the value. That isn't limited to Argentina (USA 2008). If there is a bidding war going on and everyone and their cousin is buying property that anyone can see is putting them in a highly leveraged position then there is a bubble. That isn't happening here. I expect property prices to back-peddle 10% to 20% this year. That brings investors who look at the risk of buying and judge the risk to be worth the investment. Where else can you get property in the center of a major, thriving city for $2000US per m2?

Put your money in when others are pulling theirs out, and vice versa. (I think that was Warren Buffet).

If you are into flipping properties this probably isn't the market for you. If you are into off-the-grid speculating investments then check out Mongolia (I'm not kidding). If you are a savvy, long-term investor then this market is worth considering, especially if you have income in Dollars either through salary or retirement income.

The information contained in this forum is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute an offer, invitation, basis for a contract, financial advice, other advice or recommendation to conclude any transaction or for the purchase or sale blah blah blah.

Big snip

AFIP Cristina, Kicilloff and Moreno are flying by the seat of their pants, you never know what they're going to do next

You have a good point. For example, if they required purchase funds to be brought into the country for transactions that would create another hurdle for buyers/sellers. But, as someone here said earlier, Argentines (and now expats) are extremely resourceful.

I have a small plot of land someone offered to buy for pesos but I am leaving,so just wondering how one would get the "cash" out
of here if I sold it.Any advice duly noted.

Thanks for sharing the info on the market. We own our property and actually would love to buy the property adjoining but sadly the owner isn't interested in selling although it's just sitting vacant. I was curious what you were seeing in the industry as a whole.

Back