Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlexfromLA said:
The law clearly states that you can only be here 90 days plus another 90 day extension on a tourist visa. If you go and try to extend your visa after that in person at migraciones, they will tell you " sorry ma'am you are only allowed to be in Argentina for 180 days, you can reapply after another 180 days has passed ".

Most people understand the implicitness of this law so they take the Uruguay route because this law isn't being enforced at the border ( it is only enforced after you do it multiple times and an immigration agent actually takes the time to look at your reentry visas closely ).

It is illegal to permanently reside in Argentina on a tourist visa.

If you have a problem with the wording of the law or how it is to be interpreted, you can simply call migraciones or go to migraciones and ask them directly.

Ask very directly and you will get a direct answer " Can I live permanently in Argentina on a tourist visa as long as I go to Uruguay for a day every three months ? ". You will get a very direct answer.

You can enter as much as you please

AlexfromLA said:
The law clearly states that you can only be here 90 days plus another 90 day extension on a tourist visa. If you go and try to extend your visa after that in person at migraciones, they will tell you " sorry ma'am you are only allowed to be in Argentina for 180 days, you can reapply after another 180 days has passed ".

Most people understand the implicitness of this law so they take the Uruguay route because this law isn't being enforced at the border ( it is only enforced after you do it multiple times and an immigration agent actually takes the time to look at your reentry visas closely ).

It is illegal to permanently reside in Argentina on a tourist visa.

If you have a problem with the wording of the law or how it is to be interpreted, you can simply call migraciones or go to migraciones and ask them directly.

Ask very directly and you will get a direct answer " Can I live permanently in Argentina on a tourist visa as long as I go to Uruguay for a day every three months ? ". You will get a very direct answer.

Alex - Sorry mate, you are wrong on that one. I did exactly that, asked at the Embassy and at Migraciones, and was told CLEARLY, that there is no Maximum number of days you can be in Argentina in any one year. There is NO LAW that states a maximum, only that the maxium in one go, without leaving the country is 180 days (i.e. you can go to Migraciones and get your first 90 days VISA renewed).. After that you can leave the country, go to Colonia, or wherever, and come back the next day (even the same day), and your 90 days starts ticking again. You cannot renew that one at Migraciones, but simply leave again before it expires, go to Colonia again, and whne you come back, yet another 90 days starts.....

steveinbsas said:
You are a Tax Official in Ireland, right?

Just so no one from the USA becomes confused, in order to qualify for the foreign resident tax exemption I believe US taxpayers/residents can only be in the US for a maximum of 30 days per year.

Yes, sorry Steve, I was referring to the Irish and Argentine laws which are different from the US side of the equation. I have no real knowledge of US tax rules - Apologies for any confusion there.

My friend was told exactly the opposite. 180 days on one passport per year on a tourist visa. The law referenced was the law I posted.

This is obviously not being enforced or 80% of the people on this board wouldn't be here and obviously most people at immigration waive it off but that is the law.

Liam3494 said:
Alex - Sorry mate, you are wrong on that one. I did exactly that, asked at the Embassy and at Migraciones, and was told CLEARLY, that there is no Maximum number of days you can be in Argentina in any one year. There is NO LAW that states a maximum, only that the maxium in one go, without leaving the country is 180 days (i.e. you can go to Migraciones and get your first 90 days VISA renewed).. After that you can leave the country, go to Colonia, or wherever, and come back the next day (even the same day), and your 90 days starts ticking again. You cannot renew that one at Migraciones, but simply leave again before it expires, go to Colonia again, and whne you come back, yet another 90 days starts.....

qwerty said:
Maybe the Argentines can sneak in to Mexico illegal, fly to Argentina and apply for a work visa there :D
Whatever it is that you smoked today it is baaaad quality ;)

The new income requirement for the visa rentista is undoubtedly going to create more perma-tourists, not less. If and when the folks at AFIP and/or migraciones see a serious drop in the number of applicants for new visas and renewals they might realize the new requirement will mean a loss of revenue from the fees as well as not generate more income tax revenue. Then and only then would I expect any serious crack down on perma-tourists and enforcement (or enactment) of a rule that only allows foreigners to be in Argentina a maximum of 180 days per year.

I know a couple members of the forum have been told they cannot continue to renter Argentina on a tourist visa, but that was after a number of years (in one case I believe it was seven). That must mean it is not 100% legal in the first place.

nikad said:
Whatever it is that you smoked today it is baaaad quality ;)

You must not take anything serious but I guess in theory you could. If you leave the US legally you get denied access 10 years. Sneaking illegally into Mexico you even can get around it.

I have no idea if the US government actually know who lived in the US illegally but that could be the case

Liam - thank you for sharing your experiences. And interesting to hear that the officials stated that there was not a maximum stay.

It's been bothering me every time I read it as some people state there is a law and others say no and it seems a fairly basic question (then again, it's Argentina, nothing is ever clear-cut:rolleyes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back