Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol,

Obviously we disagree on this point Liam. And obviously what I've heard is completely from what you have heard and how you are interpreting the law.

Now please reference the law that states tourists can live in Argentina permanently even though everybody else needs to apply for residency if they want to live here permanently ?

Liam3494 said:
It isn't a case of the law not being enforced, it IS NOT THE LAW. I read the law that you posted, and it does not say anything about the maximum number of days you can spend in Argentina in any ONE YEAR.

I quoted the exact law, i.e the maxium length of one stay, and as I stated, I asked and was given a very clear answer. There is no ambiguity in the law, although that is not to say that even Argentine Immigration Officials know the exact wording of the law. But I have checked this very carefully before I came here, due to my circumstances, and I am 100% certain of my facts regarding the law.

Anyway, we do digress from the original point of the post, regarding the situation in Arizona, so maybe we should withdraw from this debate and allow the original topic to be brought back.

Not sure how this turned into a raving argument about Buenos Aires visas as I thought it was about Arizona.

Still, I moved here in 2003 and for the 1st 18 months, I just left the country every 3 months (Colonia, URU). There were 2 times I missed the deadline and had to go to immigration and pay the fine...then it was 50 pesos, now I think it is 300. Still, best thing to do is get your DNI...ANYONE can get it, even if you don't have a job. I strongly suggest paying for a lawyer to help, though you can do it on your own.

As for Arizona, if you are in the U.S. illegally...you are there illegally. Period! There is NO argument against that. You are breaking the law. And ABSOLUTELY the Federal Gov isn't doing SH%T about immigration so AZ or any other state absolutely has the right to take care of it on their own.

UPDATE: A judge is VA just ruled that the police CAN and SHOULD ask anyone involved in a crime about their visa status in the U.S. CLEARLY the judge in AZ (a Clinton appointee) is a left-wing liberal that didn't make any ruling based on the law as written (or the Constitution for that matter), but ruled on purely ideological reasons.

Alex, not too worried personally but thanks for caring.:rolleyes: And the gov't happily accepts my tax payments ;) I'm just exhausted of reading this never-ending debate & would love to know an answer. But I think I'll accept that there really isn't a clear law & so some people will determine one thing and others interpret it another & at the end of the day, migraciones is the only one who has any say.

citygirl said:
Alex, not too worried personally but thanks for caring.:rolleyes: And the gov't happily accepts my tax payments ;) I'm just exhausted of reading this never-ending debate & would love to know an answer. But I think I'll accept that there really isn't a clear law & so some people will determine one thing and others interpret it another & at the end of the day, migraciones is the only one who has any say.
During one of the last debates on this topic, I emailed Migraciones to ask and got no answer :p

jaredwb said:
Still, best thing to do is get your DNI...ANYONE can get it, even if you don't have a job.

Do you know something the rest of us don't?

The funny thing is that what I said at the beginning. Until migraciones decides to enforce their laws, it's basically a non issue. But when that day comes..........lol

citygirl said:
at the end of the day, migraciones is the only one who has any say.

steveinbsas said:
Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Hi Steve, I don't think there is anything specific to know. Anyone here can get your DNI. It is not required to have a job to get it. Clearly, if you are planning on staying in Argentina, it is worth it. If someone is just passing a few months here...well, obviously a tourist visa works great.

I don't know the "legalities" of it, but I do have a handful of ex-pat friends that don't "work" (according to Argentina) and they all have their DNI's.

I just finished my process and expect my DNI within the next 1-2 weeks.

I used a lawyer, Gabriel Celano ([email protected]) he works with all expat clients and offers a 40 day process to get the DNI (after all the paperwork is finished, ie. FBI records, criminal records, etc)

Jared

Don't assume that Migraciones has some kind of established policy. It doesn't seem to.

Or, if it does, the higher-ups don't bother to train entry point agents.

lol@ your entire post

jaredwb said:
Not sure how this turned into a raving argument about Buenos Aires visas as I thought it was about Arizona.

Still, I moved here in 2003 and for the 1st 18 months, I just left the country every 3 months (Colonia, URU). There were 2 times I missed the deadline and had to go to immigration and pay the fine...then it was 50 pesos, now I think it is 300. Still, best thing to do is get your DNI...ANYONE can get it, even if you don't have a job. I strongly suggest paying for a lawyer to help, though you can do it on your own.

As for Arizona, if you are in the U.S. illegally...you are there illegally. Period! There is NO argument against that. You are breaking the law. And ABSOLUTELY the Federal Gov isn't doing SH%T about immigration so AZ or any other state absolutely has the right to take care of it on their own.

UPDATE: A judge is VA just ruled that the police CAN and SHOULD ask anyone involved in a crime about their visa status in the U.S. CLEARLY the judge in AZ (a Clinton appointee) is a left-wing liberal that didn't make any ruling based on the law as written (or the Constitution for that matter), but ruled on purely ideological reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back