Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
steveinbsas said:
The new income requirement for the visa rentista is undoubtedly going to create more perma-tourists, not less. If and when the folks at AFIP and/or migraciones see a serious drop in the number of applicants for new visas and renewals they might realize the new requirement will mean a loss of revenue from the fees as well as not generate more income tax revenue. Then and only then would I expect any serious crack down on perma-tourists and enforcement (or enactment) of a rule that only allows foreigners to be in Argentina a maximum of 180 days per year.

There must be a drop already

qwerty said:
You can enter as much as you please

Trust me, you will eventually get denied. It might take a year or two but it happens. Steve referenced someone posting about it here.

I quote " no more tourist visas ".

It didnt happen to me in 6 calender years, but whatever makes you happy

SaraSara said:
Good luck with migraciones - if they are anything like the talent they have in the Buquebus terminals and in Ezeiza, you can ask the same question to six different employees and get six different answers.

Living in South America is a constant challenge - keeps one nimble, though.
Before my husband moved here, I called Migraciones to ask what would be the requirements or visa possibilities for him in order to live here legally... The conversation went like this:

Migraciones - Where is he coming from?
Me - United States, I answered
Migraciones - Is he white? they asked
Me - Yes, I replied
Migraciones - Do not bother doing anything, they replied, he will not have problems.

How is that for clarification? What I think some expats or perma tourists fail to understand is that there is a law, and that judges and authorities can enforce them if they wanted to, however most public office workes such as the ones at Migraciones, do not have a clue and will tell you what they would do, or what they think is the best way to avoid trouble, but in no case this means that this is legally compliant in many cases...

AlexfromLA said:
My friend was told exactly the opposite. 180 days on one passport per year on a tourist visa. The law referenced was the law I posted.

This is obviously not being enforced or 80% of the people on this board wouldn't be here and obviously most people at immigration waive it off but that is the law.

It isn't a case of the law not being enforced, it IS NOT THE LAW. I read the law that you posted, and it does not say anything about the maximum number of days you can spend in Argentina in any ONE YEAR.

I quoted the exact law, i.e the maxium length of one stay, and as I stated, I asked and was given a very clear answer. There is no ambiguity in the law, although that is not to say that even Argentine Immigration Officials know the exact wording of the law. But I have checked this very carefully before I came here, due to my circumstances, and I am 100% certain of my facts regarding the law.

Anyway, we do digress from the original point of the post, regarding the situation in Arizona, so maybe we should withdraw from this debate and allow the original topic to be brought back.

nikad said:
What I think some expats or perma tourists fail to understand is that there is a law, and that judges and authorities can enforce them if they wanted to, however most public office workes such as the ones at Migraciones, do not have a clue and will tell you what they would do, or what they think is the best way to avoid trouble, but in no case this means that this is legally compliant in many cases...

Nikad - WHAT LAW? Seriously, please, please, please -I'm not stupid, I've read the law and can find no where that says 180 days in a calendar year (aka maximum stay) If you know, end my misery and this debate, please :)

nikad said:
Migraciones - Where is he coming from?
Me - United States, I answered
Migraciones - Is he white? they asked
Me - Yes, I replied
Migraciones - Do not bother doing anything, they replied, he will not have problems.

Right or wrong, this is one reason I prefer living in Argentina...as compared to Mexico.

citygirl said:
Nikad - WHAT LAW? Seriously, please, please, please -I'm not stupid, I've read the law and can find no where that says 180 days in a calendar year (aka maximum stay) If you know, end my misery and this debate, please :)
Lmao! The law does make reference to 90 days tourist visa and up to 90 days tourist visa prorroga. It is obvious that it has to be a yearly limit, otherwise why ask for a visa extension or prorroga at all?

citygirl said:

Lol, you don't want to hear the truth city, you want to hear something reassuring and right now Liam is providing that. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Keep hope alive my friend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back