Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaredwb said:
Not sure how this turned into a raving argument about Buenos Aires visas as I thought it was about Arizona.

About Argentines living in terror of arrest and deportation.

If and when thousands of Argentines are expelled from the US for being illegal immigrants we will probably see retaliation here, especially towards perma-tourists from the USA.

Remember the visa fee?

Which residency type did you qualify for ?

jaredwb said:
Hi Steve, I don't think there is anything specific to know. Anyone here can get your DNI. It is not required to have a job to get it. Clearly, if you are planning on staying in Argentina, it is worth it. If someone is just passing a few months here...well, obviously a tourist visa works great.

I don't know the "legalities" of it, but I do have a handful of ex-pat friends that don't "work" (according to Argentina) and they all have their DNI's.

I just finished my process and expect my DNI within the next 1-2 weeks.

I used a lawyer, Gabriel Celano ([email protected]) he works with all expat clients and offers a 40 day process to get the DNI (after all the paperwork is finished, ie. FBI records, criminal records, etc)

Jared

steveinbsas said:
About Argentines living in terror of arrest and deportation.

If and when thousands of Argentines are expelled from the US for being illegal immigrants we will probably see retaliation here, especially towards perma-tourists from the USA.

Remember the visa fee?
Now that you mention that, it is possible they try to do something similar to what they did last year with the reciprocal visa fee (?)

jaredwb said:
Hi Steve, I don't think there is anything specific to know. Anyone here can get your DNI. It is not required to have a job to get it. Clearly, if you are planning on staying in Argentina, it is worth it. If someone is just passing a few months here...well, obviously a tourist visa works great.

I don't know the "legalities" of it, but I do have a handful of ex-pat friends that don't "work" (according to Argentina) and they all have their DNI's.

Not everyone can get a DNI, even if they pay a lawyer a thousand bucks or more...unless he is paying someone at migraciones. It's true you don't have to work, but you still have to qualify. Except for students and a few other categories that apply to very few individuals, those who aren't working must provide proof of foreign income while living in Argentina and the income requirement for the visa rentista just increased by over 300%.

For those who aren't aware, it is necessary to have a resident visa in order to get a DNI, period. And having a lawyer probably won't help if you aren't qualified, unless the lawyer is paying bribes or someone is doing him favors,, and I have never heard anyone say that this was actually possible, only that the DNI could be "expedited" by a lawyer after the residency was granted .

jaredwb said:
I just finished my process and expect my DNI within the next 1-2 weeks.

I used a lawyer, Gabriel Celano ([email protected]) he works with all expat clients and offers a 40 day process to get the DNI (after all the paperwork is finished, ie. FBI records, criminal records, etc)

Jared

Haven't you posted similar plugs for gabriel in the past and didn't you tell us he got you your DNI long ago?

Was you previous user name jedard? You write just like him.

steveinbsas said:
Not everyone can get a DNI, even if they pay a lawyer a thousand bucks or more...unless he is paying someone at migraciones. It's true you don't have to work, but you still have to qualify. Except for students and a few other categories that apply to very few individuals, those who aren't working must provide proof of foreign income while living in Argentina and the income requirement for the visa rentista just increased by over 300%.

For those who aren't aware, it is necessary to have a resident visa in order to get a DNI, period. And having a lawyer probably won't help if you aren't qualified, unless the lawyer is paying bribes or someone is doing him favors.

Haven't you posted similar plugs for gabriel in the past and didn't you tell us he got you your DNI long ago?

Was you previous user name jedard? You write just like him.

Ok, sorry..not "everyone". granted, the majority can. And yes, I have posted about him before when I started my initial process. It took me awhile to get the FBI records (almost 3 months). But always posted under this username.

I am a permanent resident.

I did not ever have to show ANY income proof, that is not part of the process. I had to have my FBI records, a criminal background check for Argentina, my apostile birth certificate...nothing more, nothing less. Again, not a legal expert just passing on my experience. I signed all the paperwork and there was nothing asking about income, education, etc.

jaredwb said:
Ok, sorry..not "everyone". granted, the majority can. And yes, I have posted about him before when I started my initial process. It took me awhile to get the FBI records (almost 3 months). But always posted under this username.

I am a permanent resident.

I did not ever have to show ANY income proof, that is not part of the process. I had to have my FBI records, a criminal background check for Argentina, my apostile birth certificate...nothing more, nothing less. Again, not a legal expert just passing on my experience. I signed all the paperwork and there was nothing asking about income, education, etc.

Didn't there have to be a reason you were granted permanent residency?

Was it a cambio de categoria from temporary? If so, what "type" of temporary visa did you have?

Were you here long enough to quality for the "amnesty" that was granted to those who arrived before 2004 or 2005?

Or are you the son of, married to, or the parent of someone who is Argentine?

lol

sorry jared but I call bullshit on your post unless you can at least tell us what type of residency you qualified for.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks for referencing "jedard" Steve. These are total shameless plugs

jedard said:
Hello everyone, Just thought I would tell you how wonderful it was to go through customs at EZE yesterday. Now that I have my DNI and other legal papers, I just went into the lineup for Argentines and was through in 5 minutes. No long lineups like the other tourists and expats who still live here without legal documents.
Also I got my bank account in less than 10 minutes. Oh how sweet it is and so simple to get that DNI. Anyone interested in getting one very quickly drop me a line
Life is a breeze when one has all the legal documents. I love this country, it is so wonderful. jed

We can argue semantics all day long, but for those who believe that there is a law relating to the number of days you can be here, there isn't. It isn't about somebody interpreting a law, it is the law as written. As a Tax Official in Ireland, I have spent many years interpreting the law, and taking cases to court, and being challenged in court, based on the EXACT wording of the law. The same applies in every country... Law is written in a precise way, for a precise reason. Until Argentina changes the laws on Visas, that is what applies. As I said before, there is No ambiguity in the law, and you can believe what you like about the intentions of the lawmakers, if it isn't written down, it isn't law.

Now, having said all that, we can all hear anecdotal evidence relating to somebody's individual case, and how one thing may be said, or another. Bottom line is, it is legal to be here as long as you renew your Tourist Visa as the law states.

As for DNI - I don't need one, or desire one. I do not intend at this point in my life to become a resident, I am simply enjoying a sabbatical from work, spending time in Argentina, legally, spending money here, thereby paying indirect taxes into the economy. If I was working here, illegally, then it would be a different issue, or if I was planning on staying here indefinitely, then I would seek the appropriate channels to become a resident etc.. As it is, I like it here, as a tourist.. It's why I can write on here a lot :).....

OK, I'm bowing out of this thread now, as I won't be around for a while on line - Think I'll head to Colonia for a few days :)

Lol,

You are incorrect. It is illegal to be in the country for more than 180 days a year on a tourist visa. It is also illegal to come to Argentina under the guise of " tourism " when your real purpose is to live here permanently. Also if you plan on living in Argentina permanently the law states you have to apply for residency.

But no one in government really cares about any of this so as long as they don't care why should we right ? But if they ever do crack down, some people will be left up a creek without a paddle.

Liam3494 said:
Now, having said all that, we can all hear anecdotal evidence relating to somebody's individual case, and how one thing may be said, or another. Bottom line is, it is legal to be here as long as you renew your Tourist Visa as the law states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back