Time For Another Dollars Pesos Post!

Illinoisjoe

Registered
Hi all, I'm a fake BA expat. I've briefly lived in Argentina but live in the states now. However, I'll be getting married in Argentina soon and I'm trying to advise a bunch of US visitors on the whole dollars peso thing who'll be visiting for my wedding.

Basically, I remember how things work, but the main thing I remember is that things change fast in Argentina. Could someone kindly fill me in or point me to a good resource for:
  1. The typical U$D to AR$ rate at ATMS (including what the fees are like).
  2. The typical U$D to AR$ rate using a credit card.
  3. I know how to estimate the dollar blue, and we have a trustworthy guy for that (that I found on this very site :D ) but any pointers about how to get that rate would be graciously accepted as well. I know 100's are better than 20's, new condition better than mangled, and more is better than less, but there's probably a lot I don't know.
Also, feel free to sound off on wether or not you think it wise to instruct a bunch of wide-eyed midwesterners to bring as much cash as they dare to BsAs, plus any other need-to-know advice you think I should give them.

Thanks in advance!

You get 9.3 to 1 at ATMs and with credit cards. Official rate. You get 15.5 to 1 with blue.

Most americans who don't know anything about Argentina are not going to understand why they get one rate with cash and another with ATMs. Depending on how many people are going to your wedding I'm not sure if you want to take the time to have that conversation with everyone. Its probably just easier to let everyone use credit cards and ATMs and pay gringo prices.

Felicitaciones on your marriage!

This is how most of your guests are going to feel about the whole US$ AR$ blue/black thing

s992yJ0.gif

If you search on facebook or twitter there are accounts that update the dollar blue rates regularly that you can follow. I believe credit cards pay the exchange as the current bank rate, plus whatever international fees the card itself charges.

As for bills 100's will always get the best exchange, mangled, marked, torn or otherwise damaged bills will usually not be accepted. I suppose it depends on how long they will be in BA and how much they will need to spend in cash while here. If you have local friends and family who are interested in buying dollars at the blue rate you could arrange some private exchanges that might make them feel more secure, otherwise you just advise them of the current situation with $ and let them decide what they want to do.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369

This site gives the daily rate by banks (dolar compra) and what you can get on the street or at a cueva (dolar blue compra).

http://www.turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/en/article/money

This site explains it and offers other links to more info.

The average Midwesterner will be overwhelmed by the complexity of the currency regime, so I suggest not broaching the subject, as you will be peppered with questions and blamed if anything goes wrong.

Back