tipping protocol

here4now

Registered
Hola

What's the restaurant/bar tipping protocol here? I was told 10% but I routinely see people leaving less on the table. Also, does "cubierto" go to the servers or is that for the management?

As always, thanks for your answers!

15-20% is completely crazy. You are imposing your North American values on the local culture and making it expensive for everyone who doesn't earn in dollars. Most Porteños leave less than 10% in restaurants. 10% is for GOOD service -- what you are leaving 15-20% for.

Agree with Lee. Although in the US we're more or less obligated to leave 20% as the Standard for good service, with 10% or less indicating poor service, 10% here as the standard is fine, but if you have a very enjoyable experience and are pleased by the level of service, then by all means you should tip more! It gives servers an incentive to do their best, which improves overall quality of the dining experience. I'm sure they don't grow to *expect* more and that when they get it is a nice surprise. What's wrong with that? Especially in this country when surly/poor service is the norm. It is the choice of the patron.

For the original question, NO the cubierto is not included in the tip but supposedly goes to cover bread, etc., that they might bring to the table. don't like the concept myself, but it is what it is.

sergio said:
You are imposing your North American values on the local culture and making it expensive for everyone who doesn't earn in dollars. Most Porteños leave less than 10% in restaurants.

Those with this attitude is why service doesnt ever seem to get better and nothing changes here.

Nonsense. TEN percent is GOOD in Argentina. This is not California! People do not earn US salaries in Argentina. WHY not give 50% if you think waiters will bow and scrape before you? I have never found that excessive tipping guarantees good service. It's more about vanity and power than anything else. Waiters and other service people should be paid a decent wage and not have to depend on the good will of patrons.

sergio said:
15-20% is completely crazy. You are imposing your North American values on the local culture and making it expensive for everyone who doesn't earn in dollars. Most Porteños leave less than 10% in restaurants. 10% is for GOOD service -- what you are leaving 15-20% for.

Lee may be applying his North American values here, but he isn't imposing anything. How can this make it more expensive for anyone else? Do you seriously think the management going to raise the prices of items on the menu just because an American left a "big" tip?

sergio said:
Nonsense. TEN percent is GOOD in Argentina. This is not California! People do not earn US salaries in Argentina. WHY not give 50% if you think waiters will bow and scrape before you? I have never found that excessive tipping guarantees good service. It's more about vanity and power than anything else. Waiters and other service people should be paid a decent wage and not have to depend on the good will of patrons.

You're missing the point. You do not tip above 10% automatically. Personally, I don't like obsequious service so "bowing and scraping" wouldn't earn a better tip, either. You tip at the end of the meal, and people CHOOSE to tip more or less depending on the experience you had. Just because someone tips more doesn't mean anybody else is obliged to, that it will affect base wage, etc. It's not about vanity and power, either--you're projecting.

sergio said:

Since a tip is given after the service has been provided how can it guarantee any level of service? An acceptable (decent) wage is a matter to be determined by the owners of the restaurants and the employees, isn't it? Perhaps the government should require the owners to pay more, but this may result in higher prices, fewer customers, and as a result, fewer wait-staff jobs.

All businesses depend on the good will they create with their patrons. Patrons (customers) don't create good will, but a good tip does express gratitude. Bowing and scraping is neither required or desired. Slow service should be provided to customers who act like they expect bowing and scraping, no matter what country they are from.

Back