tipping protocol

Lee has every right to tip as he sees fit. That's his business.

I dislike the tipping system. I find it degrading as it creates a class system in which employees are subservient. Someone said that all employees are dependent on their employers. True to an EXTENT but an employee with a set wage and labor law protection does not have to worry about how much he will earn each day.

There is a sick culture of tipping in the US. Americans do not like to admit it but they have a class system. You are judged by how much you earn, the job you have, the university you attended, etc. The idea of a class system goes against the psyche of Americans who like to think that they are egalitarian and have a class free society. To an extent this is true compared to some societies but the fact remains that the US does in fact have a class system. One example: American society, to maintain its standard of living, depends on an underclass of Latin Americans to do backbreaking farm, kitchen and cleaning work. Wait staff can earn good wages but who actually likes the job and feels proud of it? Americans compensate by giving large tips. I suppose there is some merit to that but decent wages would be better.

Some people DO tip to show power. An Argentine friend living in the US is making good money. When he returns to Argentina he tips extravagantly. People like the money but on more than one occasion there have been negative reactions. One family member got angry at what he called "Yankee money". The truth is that he was angry that he has a better education but earns a fraction of the expat Argentine. Argentina will not let him progress. He knows it but he can't consciously admit it. He prefers to attack the US instead. Showering the family with presents and tipping wildly just calls attention to the gap.

Expat invasion? Yes, it is quite true. I moved to Argentina during the Menem years when there were very few expats. There has been an explosion. With it I have seen demands on expats to pay more for goods and services. I also believe that property values in prime areas were driven to a large extent by expats willing to pay exaggerated prices.

I find that in negotiating prices I have to call on Argentine friends to help. I often have to disappear and let a friend pretend that he owns my apartment so that he can negotiate a price. Or I ask someone to go to a shop to check prices before I buy. it is exhausting but that is the way it is. The willingness of many expats to pay high prices has made it worse. Now that inflation has pushed prices up to US levels or beyond I am starting to hear expats complain. Maybe they will use better judgment in how they handle purchases and contract services. Sadly a problem in Argentina is that the arrogance is so great that some people would rather lose business than offer a foreigner a fair price.

BA Barrio Busquador said:
What do the Argentineans do? Do any of them tip, or tip as a matter of course? Is it normal not to tip?

It is customary to tip in Argentina. Most Argentines I've eaten out with leave less than 10%, although it is customary to leave 10% for good service. More is typically unheard of, but just as well appreciated. So yes you are supposed to leave something.

I worked as a server in the US, including LA. Australians love LA....I guess because it's close in terms of the US. I grew to hate them as a waiter (okay not hate). :rolleyes: Australians may not tip in Australia, but from what my friends have told me, restaurant service is also sub-par as a result. If I'm wrong don't shoot the messenger.

To be honest, because I worked in the service industry the first thing I do before visiting a country is figure out the protocol for tipping. One, because I don't want to get swindled or taken for a fool, and two because there are enough foolish and culturally insensitive Americans traveling about as it is.

In any event I learned very quickly that while the world likes to make fun of Americans for being culturally clueless/insensitive so to were the vast majority of foreigners I encountered during my serving days. FYI to my fellow Europeans, in the US the standard is 15% for basic service (ie, the server did what they were supposed to and checked on you but didn't go above and beyond) not 10%! Bad service...at your discretion.

And just to add a little something about expectations.....I never grew to expect better tips because a group of people, lets say business people or regulars, would typically leave me 25-30%. In fact I depended on them to counterbalance cheap rat bastards, teenagers, and yes I hate to say it, most foreigners of every color and creed. It made my day, nothing more. I suspect it is the same for Argentine waiters, who IMO are not paid a decent hourly wage at all.

So when I see Lee write about how he tips more for good service think of it this way....he is making up for the cheap folks that leave nothing.

ETA: Come to think of it you get what you pay and tip for--restaurant service in Buenos Aires is lackluster. That's why I order another drink 10-15 minutes before I want the next one.

And this post wasn't really all directed towards you.

Back