tipping protocol

The writer seemed to be saying that he was a regular customer at some restaurants and gave large tips to assure good service.

I am sorry but it is a fact that high tips given mostly by Americans (Europeans are seldom big tippers) have indeed raised expectations. Argentine friends have commented on this - i.e. that in restaurants with a lot of tourists waiters have higher expectations than before the expat/tourist invasion. Liberal spending by foreigners has pushed prices up in general, not just in restaurants.

On principle I find the tipping custom to be unjust, not only in Argentina. In the US restaurants pay very low salaries knowing that employees will compensate with generous tips. Tipping creates a class system in which employees are dependent on patrons. I do believe that over-tipping has a lot to do with power and status. That may very well not be the case of the poster but I believe it often is so. I would prefer to pay a service charge and abolish tipping, especially if that resulted in fair wages for employees.

where the the OP state that they gave large tips to assure good service? The original post questioned whether 10% was the accepted standard, and was uncertain about that because they routinely see porteños tipping less.

In no way has tipping "driven up prices". That's just silly. Even if there is a greater expectation for higher tips it doesn't change the wages. I do love to hear about the "expat/tourist INVASION" though. that's rich. Although I do agree that tipping as protocol should not be standard, one should only tip when receiving good service.

sergio said:
Tipping creates a class system in which employees are dependent on patrons. I do believe that over-tipping has a lot to do with power and status. That may very well not be the case of the poster but I believe it often is so. I would prefer to pay a service charge and abolish tipping, especially if that resulted in fair wages for employees.

Oh, dear god.

MizzMarr said:
where the the OP state that they gave large tips to assure good service? The original post questioned whether 10% was the accepted standard, and was uncertain about that because they routinely see porteños tipping less.

Just to be fair, Sergio was responding to Lee saying that he and his partner occasionally tip up to 20% for exceptionally good service in favorite restaurants, but Lee also clearly stated that 10% was the norm:

Lee said:
10% is the standard for a full service type restaurant, the type with multiple courses and attention to you like that. In a pizza place where they bring you a slice of pizza and a beer you might leave some coins...it all depends on the amount of service given.

In our favorite places that we frequent and get excellent service and know that we are going to be coming back again and again we do 15% with an occasional 20% for above and beyond service.

sergio said:
Tipping creates a class system in which employees are dependent on patrons. I do believe that over-tipping has a lot to do with power and status. That may very well not be the case of the poster but I believe it often is so. I would prefer to pay a service charge and abolish tipping, especially if that resulted in fair wages for employees.

All business and their employees are dependent on their patrons.

If tipping is abolished and wages are the same in all restaurants (that would be fair, wouldn't it?), I would expect the service at restaurants to decline, especially the one's where the "upper classes" dine. At least then they would learn something about fairness, wouldn't they?

I was a waiter and a bartender for a good while. Sometimes I would receive large tips, but as I usually received the average of 15-20%, as is customary in the States, I did not grow to expect more than that average. I was just pleased when a larger tip came. I assume this is the case in Argentina too. The servers will expect an average tip and be pleased with a larger one.

If in fact they are already used to larger tips and have grown to expect them consistantly, then by tipping less than the norm, I am not teaching them to be less expectant, I have just become the cheap bastard who tips less than average, in their eyes. If I tip more than the average, I am still an anomaly, only I may have made somebody's day.

Just a little blurb: I had a friend (American/Puerta Rican) who did a stint as a waitress at a cafe in Belgrano.The owners required all tips be turned over to them! I don't think it is the norm, but pretty incredible still.

The policy did change toward the end of her working there and they started pooling the tips, which I think is what happens at most restaurants. It's too bad since individual waiters that do a good job end up having to share their well-earned money with other, perhaps less stellar, employees.

Personally, I tip on a range of 8-12%, depending on the service. :p

Leaving aside the question of whether it is "right" or "wrong" to leave extraordinary tips here, I guess I´ll be the first to admit I don´t tip based on percentage here, as that´s not the way locals do it.

If it´s just a coffee, I may leave much more than 10%, as I generally leave a peso even if my coffee cost only 7 or 8 pesos. If it´s a meal, regardless of the cost of the meal (60 pesos for 2 people or 150 pesos for 2 people) I will leave usually between 5 and 10 pesos, depending on what bills I have on hand and whether the service was nice. This often works out to 10%, but if you go out with a group of friends for pizza and spend 250 in total, there is no way in hell people are going to leave a 25 peso tipo! That would be extraordinarily strange, at least this is what I find among 20 and 30 something argentines (and some older argentines who rarely leave more than 4 pesos, even if they spend 200...yikes!! haha)

Anyhow, it´s not a strict thing. If you want to guide yourself by 10% that´s ok, just please don´t feel pressed to make the 10% tip if the bill gets real high! :eek:

To be fair to Sergio he has a point re some individuals using tipping as a (subconscious) means of subjugating or patronising locals..kinda saying "I´m an asshole but at least I´m a rich one" or "poor you..let me salve my conscience by giving you way more than would be expected for bringing a few empanadas from the kitchen"...I don´t imagine for a second that is what Lee is doing as he clearly choses where to leave his 15-20% but I have seen my own family wantonly throw down 20 pesos notes for a 30 peso serving and argue blind that they can afford it so why shouldnt they...? There is an onus on us expats to pay the value for the service as per the locals, maid services for example, lest we pay them 30 pesos an hour because we can and then sow discontent in the local market if locals can´t. Of course it is too simplistic to think that the odd over the top tipper drives up prices but we expats from all nations need to adapt to local conditions rather than imposing our own native standards just to make ourselves feel good about ourselves.

Back