Tipping Tips For Out Of Town Tippers...

Always pay upto 10% tip here, you dont need to change it due to inflation. Thats the job of the owner to increase the menu prices so he can pay his staff, not the customer.

On Saturday night we were in a rush rather late to grab a meal and a drink and ran into Basil Fawlty's brother.
As far as he was concerned, we shouldn't have been in the restaurant taking up his valuable time and he made it quite clear to us by his attitude that he would rather have been on his way home.
I told my other half that he should have been paying us, but as she's such a softie, she took pity on him.

This article came out a while back addressing the Cubierto. With many restaurants coming out against the cubierto and then describing a recent law that defines what it should include, it's a good read.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1692047-pagar-el-cubierto-un-gasto-que-podria-desaparecer

"Algunos lo hacen para crear una ilusión y que los precios de los platos no parezcan tan caros y, por otro lado, se aseguran un ingreso mínimo por comensal que va de los 15 a los 25 pesos promedio. Yo no quiero sorpresas en la cuenta. Punto", dice el ex cocinero de Algodón Mansión Hotel.

And apparently two years ago they passed a law defining what the cubierto should include:

la Legislatura porteña sancionó hace dos años la ley 4407, que obliga a todos los restaurantes... poner a disposición de los clientes los siguientes productos: un mínimo de 250 cm3 de agua por persona, un producto de panera apto para celíacos, sal modificada libre de sodio y pan tradicional o dietético.

So we should be allowed 250 cm3 of water each, and bread, sure most give some sort of bread but I've never been given free water...It goes on to say that it's even prohibited to charge the cubierto to anyone under 12. And that most restaurants don't even know this law exists (or pretend to not know I'd imagine...)

I found the Italians doing this in the seventies, and probably earlier.
I tend to leave ten percent in argentina, as well.
Of course, it depends to some degree on service, but I dont get into really complicated calculations- I leave something, as I figure, since I earn in dollars, I deserve to help the local economy.

Currently, almost any restaurant and upscale café in Italy has the "coperto", which is around €1.50 to €3 per person. In some restaurant, they charge a higher coperto on Friday and Saturday nights, which are busier. I don't like this practice and in Italy we always complain about it at the table (but not with the waiter or the management, because it is their establishment and their rules) but we tend to and order accordingly. I.e. if we go to a pizzeria and there is a €3 coperto, we don't order a €10 pizza but a cheaper one, also because the coperto is a fixed fee regardless of what you order. If you order a pizza, there is no side bread, so what the heck?!

I can see that the restaurant manager wants to make a fixed minimum for each person seating at the table, but when we are spending a lot, I think the restaurant owner makes enough out of my order! I hate it, because if we spend maybe €40 per person, adding €3 looks like just a scam.

Also, in cafés they usually apply different prices whether you drink your coffee "al banco" (standing) or "servito" (at the table). In cafés the coperto is called "servizio al tavolo" (table service) and thus you don't leave a tip unless you are at a very posh place and want to play "il signore". There is actually also the possibility that you go to a café, sit down at a table and order just a coffee or a juice, and they apply the higher price plus the "servizio al tavolo". Bummers!

On another side, tipping is less common in Italy. We tip taxi drivers (usually rounding up the price) and waiters of expensive restaurants (i.e. not in a pizzeria), and bell boys at hotels, but that's it.
When I used to work at a car wash, some customers gave tips, but we had to put tips in a common jar because they tipped the females more than the males, and because the females worked at the end of the service (as polishers/cashiers), so we shared the tips with the other colleagues working in the very first step of the process (vacuuming, washing), even if the customers paid the boss and then walked specifically toward one of us and gave the money to a single person.

AFAIK, in Italy there is no tipping rule as in the US with different percentages according on how you rate the service, or the custom to put two pennies on the table if you are not satisfied at all. Less math! ;)

Currently, almost any restaurant and upscale café in Italy has the "coperto", which is around €1.50 to €3 per person. In some restaurant, they charge a higher coperto on Friday and Saturday nights, which are busier. I don't like this practice and in Italy we always complain about it at the table (but not with the waiter or the management, because it is their establishment and their rules) but we tend to and order accordingly. I.e. if we go to a pizzeria and there is a €3 coperto, we don't order a €10 pizza but a cheaper one, also because the coperto is a fixed fee regardless of what you order. If you order a pizza, there is no side bread, so what the heck?!

I can see that the restaurant manager wants to make a fixed minimum for each person seating at the table, but when we are spending a lot, I think the restaurant owner makes enough out of my order! I hate it, because if we spend maybe €40 per person, adding €3 looks like just a scam.

Also, in cafés they usually apply different prices whether you drink your coffee "al banco" (standing) or "servito" (at the table). In cafés the coperto is called "servizio al tavolo" (table service) and thus you don't leave a tip unless you are at a very posh place and want to play "il signore". There is actually also the possibility that you go to a café, sit down at a table and order just a coffee or a juice, and they apply the higher price plus the "servizio al tavolo". Bummers!

On another side, tipping is less common in Italy. We tip taxi drivers (usually rounding up the price) and waiters of expensive restaurants (i.e. not in a pizzeria), and bell boys at hotels, but that's it.
When I used to work at a car wash, some customers gave tips, but we had to put tips in a common jar because they tipped the females more than the males, and because the females worked at the end of the service (as polishers/cashiers), so we shared the tips with the other colleagues working in the very first step of the process (vacuuming, washing), even if the customers paid the boss and then walked specifically toward one of us and gave the money to a single person.

AFAIK, in Italy there is no tipping rule as in the US with different percentages according on how you rate the service, or the custom to put two pennies on the table if you are not satisfied at all. Less math! ;)

Great contribution to hear voices from other regions other then the US of A . Yours and Bonani are refreshing. I once asked for comments from other participants form UK, Aussies, Kiwis , etc about events and practices in their areas.
Last time I did ask was called a Jerk by another Italian person? :D

I wouldn't say there are "rules," strictly speaking, in the US. Fifteen percent is customary but, if service is substandard, you may leave less. Conversely, if it's exceptional, you may leave more. For parties of six or more persons, restaurants will often add 15 percent automatically; if so, they state that on the menu.

Many times it depends on the restaurant. In Italy , ones that cater to locals , many times do not have coperto. Pizzarias often do not. I know many of my local restaurant owners that I patronize and almost always get a "locals" discount. Usually a round down of around 5-10 euros. They know I pay in cash , and do not want a receipt , and I am NOT Guarda di Finanza. Some local places offer a fixed price menu. 25 euros for primo , secondo , dolche , including wine and water. Many times I am not even shown a menu , just told what is fresh.

In these case I am not expected to tip , but usually do. Also depends on the bill. Wine is always marked up a lot. Drink the house , it is cheaper and usually good.

So for good service , 10 % . If it is bad 10% less coperto , if there is one.

Many times it depends on the restaurant. In Italy , ones that cater to locals , many times do not have coperto. Pizzarias often do not. I know many of my local restaurant owners that I patronize and almost always get a "locals" discount. Usually a round down of around 5-10 euros. They know I pay in cash , and do not want a receipt , and I am NOT Guarda di Finanza. Some local places offer a fixed price menu. 25 euros for primo , secondo , dolche , including wine and water. Many times I am not even shown a menu , just told what is fresh.

In these case I am not expected to tip , but usually do. Also depends on the bill. Wine is always marked up a lot. Drink the house , it is cheaper and usually good.

So for good service , 10 % . If it is bad 10% less coperto , if there is one.

Thanks for the Post but toooo expensive for a developing country, its like $469 pesos ? plus tip for lunch.WOW .

Hope the fare was like Lasagna Bolognesa, Cotolleta de Vittello al Rosmarino Arosto con patate al forno, and Tiramisu, Pinot Noir Wine and San Pellegrino Water.

Also 2007 Brunello di Montalcino, is _OK :cool:

Is the price for dinner. usually a sampling of 8 different antipasto di Mare. For the main course , either a Linquini Fruta di Mare , a whole fish , branzino or rombo , and dolche is tiramisu , or a Torta del Nonna. Wine is a local Vermintino , or a Colle de Luna.

Also included is a very good espresso and a shot of Grappa or Shiaciatra., the local dessert wine.

All this in the touristy Cinque Terre , Liguria.

Cannot do this every night. So sometime it is " Large Pizza for 5 , take away." for about 8 euros.

My wife says it is so expensive to eat out here. I say no way. Still cheap , and when deciding a tip , 10 , 20 50 pesos , it is still cheap.

The 2007 Brunello di Montalcino sounds divine.

I wouldn't say there are "rules," strictly speaking, in the US. Fifteen percent is customary but, if service is substandard, you may leave less. Conversely, if it's exceptional, you may leave more. For parties of six or more persons, restaurants will often add 15 percent automatically; if so, they state that on the menu.

I read this article when in the US and I couldn't remember all of their suggestions. 10% not fully satisfied, 15% satisfied, 20% very satisfied, 25% outstanding, 2 pennies side-by-side totally unsatisfied.
I just rounded up the bill, I couldn't bring myself to take my phone and do the math! Come on! Dealing money at the table is against etiquette!

And I did not like that they printed the suggested tips in the receipts, nor that some "smart" waiter even circle that line for you, adding a giant arrow pointing at the suggested tip!
I still remember the taxi driver in NYC bitching at me for paying by credit card without adding a tip. It was all on a touch screen and it was new to me, but given that he didn't even help me with my bags, he didn't deserved it. I told him so and he kept bitching in paki.

Back