tipping?

There are locals who tip 10% in restaurants for good service. Not everyone is so cheap but futbol is right that a lot of people tip almost nothing. I have seen this at 'top' restaurants like Sotto Voce where a table of five, for example, left 2 pesos for a meal that must have cost $800 pesos.

There are offcourse, but the average tip of a local is in no way 10%, I don't think it will reach 5%. That does not say you can tip more, but the average local tip is very low.

If the ticket says, tips are not included, I won't tip

Futboljunkie said:
If the ticket says, tips are not included, I won't tip

Me too. As soon as I get a ticket with "tips not include" the staff loses their tip!

I sort of pay a mix between what I'd pay in europe, and what flies here.

Taxis I'll round up the fare, restaurants get 10% and cafe's usually a couple of pesos or loose change.

More than 10% for anything is considered very generous.

jp said:
I sort of pay a mix between what I'd pay in europe, and what flies here.

Taxis I'll round up the fare, restaurants get 10% and cafe's usually a couple of pesos or loose change.

More than 10% for anything is considered very generous.

I would ask waiters what they make on a average month.

That is definitly not 10% of the turn-over or every professional would want to be a waiter

I asked a waiter recently. Tips are important and he told me that people leave a lot more in Recoleta than in Constitucion where he used to work. The fact is that some waiters ARE making more than some professionals! A lawyer friend in his 30's commented on this.

I gave a waiter in a restaurant in PDE my VISA card and he started tapping his finger on the table and repeating "Tip! Tip!". Then he left with the bill and returned back with a new bill where he added a 10% tip for himself. Outrageous! So I asked him to remove the 10% and pointed out to him that I had cash for the tip, but now he will not get anything. Assholes like that should not be tolerated.

sergio said:
I asked a waiter recently. Tips are important and he told me that people leave a lot more in Recoleta than in Constitucion where he used to work. The fact is that some waiters ARE making more than some professionals! A lawyer friend in his 30's commented on this.

I think soon lawyers, accountants and technicians with 10 years of experience will run down the doors at the barrio norte restaurants looking for work

Back